Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Is this a math question? (Read 140 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this a math question?
Was just asked, as if it were a routine thing, to do/determine a probability function over the [set of?] attributes for a series of alternatives. The series would be included but appears to be half-baked at best.

Can anyone give me a translation of what this would entail or do I need to respond with wtf?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Re: Is this a math question?
Reply #1
Alternatives are policies and attributes appear to be the known as well as unknown data associated with the policy objective as pertains to each alternative.

Reply #2
Oh boy. I'm getting an email storm. I would need to include a quantitative assessment of a series of expert opinions given as judgements without the involved reasoning.

Is this normal in any world?

Reply #3
How about fractile method? I just googled it and only nominally see how it might apply. But it was a suggested option.

Reply #4
Was just asked, as if it were a routine thing, to do/determine a probability function over the [set of?] attributes for a series of alternatives. The series would be included but appears to be half-baked at best.

Can anyone give me a translation of what this would entail or do I need to respond with wtf?

I have no idea what's being asked for here.

Do you have a toy example?

Reply #5
It turns out to be a question involving a specialized application of what is called "decision analysis". Apparently, an academic figured that I must be an expert in an esoteric and basically bullshit branch of policy analysis because things and stuff. I sent off a wtf? response email and got back a long explanation that served only to terrify me that big decisions are routinely analyzed with the most ridiculous "octohatters" business procedure ever devised.