Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: it's as if at least two distinct groups of people who have diametrically opposed points of view with completely incompatible underlying assumptions are having an argument. Oh, and for added fun, everyone here seems to believe that everyone else is a disingenuous prick or a complete retard.

Topic: Is this a math question? (Read 265 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this a math question?
Was just asked, as if it were a routine thing, to do/determine a probability function over the [set of?] attributes for a series of alternatives. The series would be included but appears to be half-baked at best.

Can anyone give me a translation of what this would entail or do I need to respond with wtf?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Re: Is this a math question?
Reply #1
Alternatives are policies and attributes appear to be the known as well as unknown data associated with the policy objective as pertains to each alternative.

Reply #2
Oh boy. I'm getting an email storm. I would need to include a quantitative assessment of a series of expert opinions given as judgements without the involved reasoning.

Is this normal in any world?

Reply #3
How about fractile method? I just googled it and only nominally see how it might apply. But it was a suggested option.

Reply #4
Was just asked, as if it were a routine thing, to do/determine a probability function over the [set of?] attributes for a series of alternatives. The series would be included but appears to be half-baked at best.

Can anyone give me a translation of what this would entail or do I need to respond with wtf?

I have no idea what's being asked for here.

Do you have a toy example?

Reply #5
It turns out to be a question involving a specialized application of what is called "decision analysis". Apparently, an academic figured that I must be an expert in an esoteric and basically bullshit branch of policy analysis because things and stuff. I sent off a wtf? response email and got back a long explanation that served only to terrify me that big decisions are routinely analyzed with the most ridiculous "octohatters" business procedure ever devised.