Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: The thesis distraction thread (Read 1273 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The thesis distraction thread
Reply #50
Raaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggeeeeeeeeeee

:whyyou:

I fucking, hate things! And people. And definitely institutions!

Whoa Calm down....

Count to ten...

And look at these:

Reply #51
Aw, I was looking for that one last week. Glad you found it.

Also found this:

Reply #52

Reply #53

Reply #54

Reply #55

Reply #56
Raaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggeeeeeeeeeee

:whyyou:

I fucking, hate things! And people. And definitely institutions!

Whoa Calm down....

Count to ten...

And look at these:

Awwww, thanks. <3

Somebody in Admin land hit the "FAIL" button on me. It generated a bunch of academic sanctions (i.e. freezing your ability to do anything with your student login, library, enrollment), automatic "You are failing" emails and You will be sent to Unsatisfactory Progress Committee emails and generally ALL OF THE BAD THINGS.

Except nobody can tell me what I've failed? My results show no fails. The disability and equity people are useless. You can't even KNOW their phone number to call them - internal line only, and they don't answer emails. They're meant to stop this happening to vulnerable students, but they won't tell you what processes they claim to have to safeguard this from happening (probably there are none!) Particularly frustrating when said vulnerable students submit all of their work, to timelines agreed in writing, and are scoring well enough to generate a snort of laughter from their teacher when they break down the door demanding to know what they're failing....

RAAAAAGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Reply #57
I'll rage so you don't have to. (((Wingeh)))
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #58
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Awwww, thanks. <3

Somebody in Admin land hit the "FAIL" button on me. It generated a bunch of academic sanctions (i.e. freezing your ability to do anything with your student login, library, enrollment), automatic "You are failing" emails and You will be sent to Unsatisfactory Progress Committee emails and generally ALL OF THE BAD THINGS.

Except nobody can tell me what I've failed? My results show no fails. The disability and equity people are useless. You can't even KNOW their phone number to call them - internal line only, and they don't answer emails. They're meant to stop this happening to vulnerable students, but they won't tell you what processes they claim to have to safeguard this from happening (probably there are none!) Particularly frustrating when said vulnerable students submit all of their work, to timelines agreed in writing, and are scoring well enough to generate a snort of laughter from their teacher when they break down the door demanding to know what they're failing....

RAAAAAGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Ugh that sounds frustrating.  (((Wingeh)))

Reply #59
Last semester - wheeeeee!!!  :happydance:

I'm taking some of the most uninspiring units known to man. It's never a good sign when the teacher has set his own textbook for the unit, and expects you to read several chapters of it each week.

Reply #60

I'm taking some of the most uninspiring units known to man. It's never a good sign when the teacher has set his own textbook for the unit, and expects you to read several chapters of it each week.
God, I hate that! It's an exercise in egotism and the professor gets royalties. Just TRY selling it back -- you'll never recoup even 10% of the costs. It's a publishing racket that many professors jump at the chance to join for some extra $$ and the (imaginary) prestige that comes from publishing their own text ONLY USED by their own students. Most of the time, the textbook in question only has a couple of paragraphs or a single chapter written by the prof, and everything else is created by the publishing company.

Reply #61

God, I hate that! It's an exercise in egotism and the professor gets royalties. Just TRY selling it back -- you'll never recoup even 10% of the costs. It's a publishing racket that many professors jump at the chance to join for some extra $$ and the (imaginary) prestige that comes from publishing their own text ONLY USED by their own students. Most of the time, the textbook in question only has a couple of paragraphs or a single chapter written by the prof, and everything else is created by the publishing company.

:ironicat:

• Bilirubin
  • Needs a Life
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'

Reply #62

Reply #63
When your computer dies.... 6.5 weeks before your thesis is due 🙈

Reply #64
yikes.

can it be repaired?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #65

Motherboard or hard drive?

Reply #66
yikes.

can it be repaired?

Motherboard.

It's (MacBook) going to heaven after 7 years without a single repair.

I picked up a MacBook Air today. It's like every kind of bday/xmas present for the next couple years.

*wipes sweat* that was lucky. I'm lucky. Phew.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #67

Motherboard.

It's (MacBook) going to heaven after 7 years without a single repair.

I picked up a MacBook Air today. It's like every kind of bday/xmas present for the next couple years.

*wipes sweat* that was lucky. I'm lucky. Phew.

:cheer:  Nice   :cheer:

Reply #68
My son is an Apple repairer in a university town. He says that about twice a month he has someone come in with a failed hard drive on a Mac containing their entire thesis -- which has NOT been backed up. These people are crushed when they learn that he usually can't get their data back (depending on the failure).  Glad this was not the case with you.

Reply #69
My son is an Apple repairer in a university town. He says that about twice a month he has someone come in with a failed hard drive on a Mac containing their entire thesis -- which has NOT been backed up. These people are crushed when they learn that he usually can't get their data back (depending on the failure).  Glad this was not the case with you.

Woah! Rookie error! 😯 Drop box, google docs, time machine and external hard drives are trusted allies and friends 😛. Forming the habits early, too.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #70
I just set up a RAID drive for backups, now I need to set up all the devices to actually regularly perform backups.

I lost my work PC HD back at the beginning of the year, and I lost my previous external drive (non-RAID) several years ago.  I'm pretty sure I lost a bunch of pictures with that one.

Reply #71
I'm doing a bad job being an active member of TR.

But this is why.

Reply #72
As you're doing astronomy, how about Gemma Ray Burst for your derby name?
Why do I bother?

Reply #73
lol that is a good name

I did the training thing for a while but it turns out I literally don't have time atm, so I'll do more of it next year

Reply #74
lol that is a good name

I did the training thing for a while but it turns out I literally don't have time atm, so I'll do more of it next year

I found that too - the time commitment is huge for the sport. It's not your typical social sport team that plays once a week, and might only train before finals or if there are incoming team members. It was like three nights of several hour slots, plus extras.

So fun. But quite time demanding.