Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• My reactions to this were a mixed "Wow, what monsters, what colossal douchebags." and "lol what kind of idiot moron dork try-hard I-only-just-discovered-Ayn-Rand talks-too-much-during-philosophy-101 pseudo-intellectuals chat about gutting Medicaid at a fucking college party COME ON."

Topic: The Trump Kompromat Theory (Read 32759 times) previous topic - next topic

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Re: The Trump Kompromat Theory
Reply #2550
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2551
Guys just accept it, the US government and all public assets now belong to international organized crime.
this isn't actually a big shift from my previous understanding of it as "owned by capital"

So, you didn't know that, but it fits with your understasnding?

Reply #2552

Three big fuck-ups recently

AP misreporting that Trump ordered Russian contacts as a candidate
Bloomberg misreporting that Trump's bank records had been subpoenaed
CNN fucking this up

Reply #2553

CNN fucking this up
Seriously, what the shit. Conspiracy side of me is wondering if this is deliberate - if the sources of these are fucking with the journalists or something.

Reply #2554
Could be. I imagine a half-way competent operation could be successful doing what O'Keefe tried to do to WaPo on the Moore stories.

• Pingu
Reply #2555
It's actually evidence that news that is ACTUALLY wrong gets corrected.

Actual faked news doesn't.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #2556
It gets corrected, but a majority of people are still only going to see the initial misreport, not the correction.

The first two seem like they could be honest mistakes or confusion on both the media outlet's and the source's ends. Very close to the truth, different in important ways, but it's understandable how those could be messed up.

The CNN one renders the story completely meaningless.

Reply #2557
Guys just accept it, the US government and all public assets now belong to international organized crime.
this isn't actually a big shift from my previous understanding of it as "owned by capital"

I don't know if I agree. I think there is a bit of daylight between standard capitalism and what we're seeing here. We're seeing brazen privatization of public goods in very rapid succession and at a scale that is unprecedented in recent history. Maybe you could argue that the privatization of jails and the military is the predecessor of this current approach, but this is honestly just brazen.

Reply #2558
OTOH East India Tea Company, Dutch Congo, etc.

It's just capitalism.

Reply #2559
Mercantilism and colonialism are not really the same thing as capitalism.

• MSG
Reply #2560
to the contrary: they are functionally indistinguishable from 21st century capitalism
braying among the ruins

Reply #2561
Although I understand the appeal of casting this as "this is what has always been going on," I think it's healthier to let the full horror of what's happening sink in rather than hide behind some sort of pseudo-Chomsky "this is what's always been going on but you weren't woke enough" smugfarting.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #2562
Seriously, what the shit. Conspiracy side of me is wondering if this is deliberate - if the sources of these are fucking with the journalists or something.

You may actually be right.

Ari Fleischer seems to think so, though he's blaming "Ds" for it:

Reply #2563

CNN fucking this up
it's actually probable.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #2564
Basically we are all living in a Phil K Dick novel now.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #2565
Certainly would explain the paranoia and unsettled reality.

Reply #2566
Mercantilism and colonialism are not really the same thing as capitalism.
Speaking of mercantilism and colonialism:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/aramroston/private-war-erik-prince-has-his-eye-on-afghanistans-rare?

Reply #2567
Erik prince needs to be assassinated.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #2568
Been that way since 2004

Reply #2569

While that's true, it's also evidence that there is a rush to publish, before looking for things that need correction. These are three big stories whose corrections were basic and easy to check - and the publishing journalists apparently failed to do so. It is a relief that our entire journalistic system did manage to correct it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the error occurred when it should not have.

However, when rephrased in those terms - that our journalistic system is a self-correcting system - there is a major problem: that that hypothesis is unfalsifiable. How do you check whether the journalistic system self-corrects? By whether journalists corrected an error. What happens when an error isn't corrected? The error becomes historical/journalistic "fact".

Yes, it's better that our journalistic system has some self-correction mechanisms. But that doesn't show what you said (or implied) - that (all or most) wrong news gets corrected.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #2570

While that's true, it's also evidence that there is a rush to publish, before looking for things that need correction. These are three big stories whose corrections were basic and easy to check - and the publishing journalists apparently failed to do so. It is a relief that our entire journalistic system did manage to correct it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the error occurred when it should not have.

However, when rephrased in those terms - that our journalistic system is a self-correcting system - there is a major problem: that that hypothesis is unfalsifiable. How do you check whether the journalistic system self-corrects? By whether journalists corrected an error. What happens when an error isn't corrected? The error becomes historical/journalistic "fact".

Yes, it's better that our journalistic system has some self-correction mechanisms. But that doesn't show what you said (or implied) - that (all or most) wrong news gets corrected.
and the danger you're pointing out is possible.

however, I think it's unlikely for two reasons.  the first is that the news media is not people's only source of information.  certainly not nowadays, when everyone has a phone that can take video and then upload to twitter or fb within seconds.  so suppose a major outlet like cnn gets something wrong.  correct information can and does easily get out and reach their audience by other routes.  nobody nowadays gets all their information from a single source ....   the second reason is that I think there must be some kind of market inefficiency associated with bad reporting.  when cnn fucks something up (and over the years cnn in particular has made a lot of false reports that have led to embarassing retractions - they are more sloppy infotainment than journalism), if another outlet has a reporter looking at the same topic who sees that cnn has it wrong, they have a strong incentive to report that.  they are acting against their own interests if they don't.
  • Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:36:06 PM by el jefe

Reply #2571
realistically we need to just accept that all news is fake, that ignorance is strength, and that we love big brother.

Reply #2572
Folks,

I'm hoping that Trump won't get a third term, but wouldn't bet on it.

D.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2573

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #2574

Pirro's language ("cleansing," "examples have to be made," suggesting law enforcement officials would "destroy the republic" and must be arrested) is chillingly authoritarian. This is not a drill.
when I'm president, we're having an italian ban.  they're a bunch of fascist psychos.  and some I assume are good people.