Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: for the love of god somebody kill this thread.

Topic: Chelsea Manning to be released (Read 393 times) previous topic - next topic

• Monad
Chelsea Manning to be released

• Pingu
Re: Chelsea Manning to be released
Reply #1
Oh thank goodness!

I was so hoping Obama would do that!
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• linus
Reply #2
Great news---I didn't think this was even a realistic possibility.

Reply #3
Trumpanzee heads are exploding in comments section of this article:

Obama Commutes Chelsea Mannings Sentence

They can't quite figure out their anger on this one. Like Wikileaks + hate Obama = make transphobic remarks, apparently.

• linus
Reply #4
Comment section guy #1: "Obama is just paying off political debts to the LGBTQ crowd."
Comment section guy #2: "The LGBT crowd is Hillary."
Comment section guy #3: "Hillary IS the LGBT crowd."

I feel informed.

• Monad
Reply #5
Obama is possibly calling Assange's bluff (if it is one) - and still trolling Trump

Reply #6
well meaning kid who got duped by Russian operatives.

unlike Snowden.

Reply #7
Why May 17? Why not today?

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #8

May 17th  is the official "International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia"

Coincidence or LGBT awareness message? You decide.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Reply #9

Good question. I tried to find an answer, but all search engines were full of Assange using the fact that she isn't being released immediately to back away from his "grant clemency and I'll agree to extradition" tweet.

Reply #10
AFAIK the US isn't actually trying to extradite him at this point, it's Sweden for the rape charges he's been hiding out from.

Reply #11
Assange is a fucking shitweasel though

• nesb
Reply #12

I thought I'd read that her sentence was reduced to 7 years, which ends then. Maybe just for the love of long sentences being counted in years with integers?

• linus
Reply #13

May 17th  is the official "International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia"

Coincidence or LGBT awareness message? You decide.
It would be quite cruel to keep her locked up for a few months extra just to have the release coincide with a symbolic date. OTOH, it's been cruel conditions up until now too.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #14
Has anyone considered the possibility that it's a calculated long term strategy to weaken the USA on the world stage that Assange has embarked upon. If you want to hurt America, make sure the clueless narcissist that can do the most damage from the inside gets elected.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #15

• linus
Reply #16
Has anyone considered the possibility that it's a calculated long term strategy to weaken the USA on the world stage that Assange has embarked upon. If you want to hurt America, make sure the clueless narcissist that can do the most damage from the inside gets elected.
The gist of a long article by his autobiographer is that Assange is himself a clueless, paranoid narcissist... So I can believe he has become the pawn in somebody else's evil masterplan but not that he himself is masterminding something.
  • Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:57:57 AM by linus

• MSG
Reply #17
Julian Assange: Sweden drops rape investigation
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39973864
braying among the ruins

• MSG
Reply #18
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/19/swedish-prosecutors-drop-julian-assange-investigation
Swedish prosecutors said on Friday they would drop a preliminary investigation into an allegation of rape against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, bringing to an end a seven-year legal standoff.

"Chief Prosecutor Marianne Ny has today decided to discontinue the preliminary investigation regarding suspected rape concerning Julian Assange," the prosecutors office said in a statement.

Assange, 45, has lived in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London since 2012, after taking refuge there to avoid extradition to Sweden over the allegation of rape, which he denies.

He has refused to travel to Stockholm, saying he fears further extradition to the US over WikiLeaks' release of 500,000 secret military files on the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
braying among the ruins

• MSG
Reply #19
braying among the ruins

Reply #20
is this marchagainsttrump now?

hi from t_d!