Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: We wouldn't have it any other way, unless maybe we would

Topic: Flint Michigan Water Guillotine Thread (Read 137 times) previous topic - next topic

Flint Michigan Water Guillotine Thread
https://www.apnews.com/fa6ea0b57c2f41a4b3036cddee453834/Michigan-health-chief-charged-in-Flint-water-probe

The head of the Michigan health department was charged Wednesday with involuntary manslaughter, the highest-ranking member of Gov. Rick Snyder's administration to be snagged in a criminal investigation of Flint's lead-contaminated water.

Nick Lyon is accused of failing to alert the public about an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in the Flint area, which has been linked by some experts to poor water quality in 2014-15. If convicted, he could face up to 15 years in prison.

Lyon also is charged with misconduct in office for allegedly obstructing university researchers who are studying if the surge in cases is linked to the Flint River.

Re: Flint Michigan Water Guillotine Thread
Reply #1
It's good that people are being held accountable.

It's bad that the water is still poisoned and people are being charged for poisoned water.

• MikeS
Reply #2
It's good that people are being held accountable.

It's bad that the water is still poisoned and people are being charged for poisoned water.
[pedant]It's the old, creaky infrastructure of lead-containing pipes that is causing the water poisoning and not the water source itself. [/pedant]

Doesn't change the facts on the ground that those at the terminal end of a lead-containing piping system are still not put right.

Although there is a wider net that should be cast here.  Although it was the Snyder administration that ignored the advice of the local and state experts to test and treat the new river water before it hit the Flint water system, the lead pipes were there all along and the only "fix" from prior operators and administrators was a chemical treatment that prevented the leaching of lead from the pipes into the water system.  Once the new, untreated (and pH imbalanced) river water entered the system this chemical treatment was washed away and lead leached in.

That's not to say that localized incidents of lead release had been occurring for decades before this time because no one was tracking or measuring all the downstream outlets, even though i'm sure there were times that portions of the water distribution system were compromised due to leaks, maintenance, etc.

Plus, many of the lead leaching pipes were in private residences such that only these houses would be affected, even though the water at the street tap might be clean and lead free all the way back to the water source.

Flint should have began to address this issue a long time ago with escrow, outreach, contracts and pipe changes instead of just the band-aid of a chemical treatment.

Snyder and company deserve everything they get, but this type of problem is present across the USA infrastructure.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #3
Snyder and company deserve everything they get, but this type of problem is present across the USA infrastructure.
I strongly suspect that what Snyder & co. get will not be what they deserve.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #4
I strongly suspect that what Snyder & co. get will not be what they deserve.
Not unless there really are guillotines involved.

Reply #5
NOVA had a really good episode the other week if you're looking for some background on the whole Flint crisis

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/poisoned-water.html

• MSG
Reply #6
braying among the ruins

Reply #7
Infant mortality and miscarriage rates shot through the roof, too

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8
It's an utter disgrace. We're a 3rd world country with some 1st world bits thrown in for the rich.

Reply #9
How hard do you think it would be to find a comment on an article somewhere saying that fertility rates dropping in flint is a good thing?

Reply #10
I guess a better question would be, what is the over/under on how long it would take to find one?

Reply #11
Around 5 minutes?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• MikeS
Reply #12
I guess a better question would be, what is the over/under on how long it would take to find one?
Around 5 minutes?
How long if you can't quote from FreeRepulic or Reddit?

Reply #13
Maybe 7.

Reply #14
  • Last Edit: Today at 02:01:24 PM by Pavlovs Dog