Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: Yes, I keep a list.

Topic: How economically desperate (Read 932 times) previous topic - next topic

borealis and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
  • meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Re: How economically desperate
Reply #125
But if you happen to be fond of trees, or gardens, or home-cooked meals, or a back-yard, or a dog that doesn't fit in a purse, or the sound of the wind instead of cars, or the occasional bunny rabbit or dear being visible outside of a zoo... Yeah, not so much.
I just wanted to point out that I live walking distance from downtown Philadelphia--a city with twice the population of Seattle--and my neighborhood has trees, gardens, home-cooked meals, backyards, and no shortage of large dogs. I have also seen the occasional bunny in Philly and my wife once saw a deer in a nearby park. I think you may want to extract that cartoon image of cities from your head, because most city dwellers are not living in the kind of dystopian, Blade Runner setting that you think they are.

I'm a few blocks from Clark Park, and my neighborhood is full of dogs. My dog has been getting reactive on leash, so I try to avoid other dogs on the street, and if I walk him at certain hours, it's impossible for me to go a block without running into another dog.

Anyway, this doesn't compare to the quiet and greenery of some other areas, and I basically hate my shitty neighborhood for other reasons, but there are trees, gardens, and lots of critters in cities. I may not see horsies everywhere like when I go out to Chester County, but cities have wildlife. Philly has a variety of small mammals, birds, coyotes, fish, little garden snake buddies, deer, etc. in addition to the more common city wildlife like pigeons, mice, and raccoons. Oh and there's literally a national wildlife refuge 5 miles from my apartment.

I'm not the biggest fan of city living, but it is more efficient, more sustainable, and more cost effective to have more densely populated settlements. The things that make individual cities or neighborhoods suck have more to do with bad planning and shitty local politics.

Reply #126
I don't even think there is anything wrong with wanting to live a simple, rural, old-fashioned lifestyle.  if you want to do that and it makes you happy, good for you.  but I find it enormously frustrating to watch people struggle financially because they insist on working in a dead industry in a dead town and refuse every option to get out of that dead end situation, because they are too scared to leave their comfort zone.
Or you know... their family and the friends they've known their entire life, their elderly parents who need help around the house, their church and their community, etc.

Yeah, just totally too scared.  Not even a remote possibility that there might be a wee bit more to it than your one-dimensional worldview allows for, hmm?
by "comfort zone" I'm not just talking about where you live, i also mean willingness to try other lines of work.  if your job ceases to exist, and you don't want to move, then the only reasonable option is to try a new line of work.  if you refuse to do that, and instead demand the government subsidize your old industry to maybe bring back your old job, you are being a gigantic baby.
And?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #127
I'm a few blocks from Clark Park, and my neighborhood is full of dogs. My dog has been getting reactive on leash, so I try to avoid other dogs on the street, and if I walk him at certain hours, it's impossible for me to go a block without running into another dog.

Anyway, this doesn't compare to the quiet and greenery of some other areas, and I basically hate my shitty neighborhood for other reasons, but there are trees, gardens, and lots of critters in cities. I may not see horsies everywhere like when I go out to Chester County, but cities have wildlife. Philly has a variety of small mammals, birds, coyotes, fish, little garden snake buddies, deer, etc. in addition to the more common city wildlife like pigeons, mice, and raccoons. Oh and there's literally a national wildlife refuge 5 miles from my apartment.

I'm not the biggest fan of city living, but it is more efficient, more sustainable, and more cost effective to have more densely populated settlements. The things that make individual cities or neighborhoods suck have more to do with bad planning and shitty local politics.
I used to live not far from Clark Park myself. I loved living over there for the variety restaurants, bars, and things to do all the time in that area. And despite it being so active, it's a pretty green. There are a surprising number of trees all over and the dominant form of wildlife I remember seeing was raccoons.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #128
I don't even think there is anything wrong with wanting to live a simple, rural, old-fashioned lifestyle.  if you want to do that and it makes you happy, good for you.  but I find it enormously frustrating to watch people struggle financially because they insist on working in a dead industry in a dead town and refuse every option to get out of that dead end situation, because they are too scared to leave their comfort zone.
Or you know... their family and the friends they've known their entire life, their elderly parents who need help around the house, their church and their community, etc.

Yeah, just totally too scared.  Not even a remote possibility that there might be a wee bit more to it than your one-dimensional worldview allows for, hmm?
by "comfort zone" I'm not just talking about where you live, i also mean willingness to try other lines of work.  if your job ceases to exist, and you don't want to move, then the only reasonable option is to try a new line of work.  if you refuse to do that, and instead demand the government subsidize your old industry to maybe bring back your old job, you are being a gigantic baby.
And?
that's a good point, babies are cute

let's make some posts emphasizing this point where meep can see them