Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Cyclone Debbie forces coastal evacuations in north Queensland (Read 130 times) previous topic - next topic

DaveGodfrey and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
  • osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Cyclone Debbie forces coastal evacuations in north Queensland
This is shaping up to be a real walloper. First one of the season for Queensland, which is unusually late this year.

Cyclone Debbie forces coastal evacuations in north Queensland

Short version is it's ramping up as it gets into warmer water nearer the coast. Currently Cat 2. Expected to reach Cat 3 overnight, and upper end of Cat 4 by the time it hits the coast on Tuesday. It's big too. Townsville to Mackay is 390 km (about 240 miles).
Truth is out of style

Re: Cyclone Debbie forces coastal evacuations in north Queensland
Reply #1
Good luck.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #2
Way north of me. Bit of a worry for the banana benders though.
Truth is out of style

• Fenrir

Reply #3
North of me. Will prolly just get a lot of rain.
It's what plants crave.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #4
Meh. Rain. :p Had nuff. Do not want.

Bloody wet season has been really late this year.
Truth is out of style

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #5
It's pretty sunny over here these days, folks. But I'd rather be elsewhere.

(OK, maybe not in the middle of a cyclone)
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #6
don't worry.  in the southern hemisphere, rain falls up, not down

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #7
don't worry.  in the southern hemisphere, rain falls up, not down
Yeah but the Earth is up down there too, so the rain still hits the ground. I know coz I've seen it. :p
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #8
Anyway Debbie is now up to Cat 4, with winds around the eye getting fucking ridiculous. She has apparently decided to come ashore at lunchtime, smack on top of Bowen. Should keep them entertained.

Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #9
Comment on the ABC blog: "Hamilton Island - beautiful one day, cyclonic the next." :parrot:

(They've had gusts of 260 kph).
Truth is out of style

Reply #10
That's scary. have a couple Queenslander poster friends I hope post before long.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #11
I'm bloody glad I'm a long way from it. Hopefully everyone got somewhere solid. Any silly buggers who thought "She'll be right, mate" are probably getting free flying lessons right about now.
Truth is out of style

Reply #12
I've experienced exactly one severe hurricane in my life and I wouldn't repeat it for money.

Reply #13
We visited Ausloth a while back [bet they are glad they are in NZ now]. We were thinking of getting a flat on Airlie Beach!  :sadcheer:
Believer in High Powers, and naturally, logarithms.
Pikkiwoki is the one true god.

Reply #14
I was going to make a "Debbie Does Darwin" joke, but its the wrong side of the pointy bits at the top.
Why do I bother?

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #15
Cyclone Debbie has been downgraded to a category one system after crossing the north Queensland coast.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #16
I've experienced exactly one severe hurricane in my life and I wouldn't repeat it for money.
My parents had to evacuate 4 times one year.  They're like a mile from the ocean, so they take it seriously.

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #17
Hurricane Donna was the worst , and I've been through dozens. 
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #18
My parents had to evacuate 4 times one year.  They're like a mile from the ocean, so they take it seriously.
The news last night had footage of silly fuckers on the beach in Mackay as Debbie was coming towards them. I was wondering how they went.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #19
Cyclone Debbie has been downgraded to a category one system after crossing the north Queensland coast.
Yup. It was headed more or less straight inland, meaning the power source gets turned off, so they expected it to moderate overnight.

The resulting depression is gradually heading down the coast, so lotsa rain for the rest of us.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #20
Debbie's Silver Lining: Cooler Waters and Less Coral Reef Damage

Though the wave action from Tropical Cyclone Debbie likely caused some destruction of fragile corals along portions of Australia's Great Barrier Reef, that wondrous natural site is likely to experience a net benefit from the passage of Debbie. The cooling effect of the storm on near record-warm summer waters that were besieging the reef will help reduce coral mortality from the reef's ongoing coral bleaching event. By raising global temperatures overall, human-produced climate change has led to especially sharp oceanic warming during El Niño events. The result has been three global coral bleaching events: the first in 1998, the second in 2010, and the third beginning in 2015. That event is still under way-- the longest, most widespread, and most damaging on record, according to NOAA.

Preliminary satellite data (Figure 5) showed that Debbie's passage had already cooled waters near the coast of Australia by up to 2°C on Monday, and additional cooling has occurred since that time. This amount of cooling may be enough to stop widespread coral bleaching and die-off along central portions of the Great Barrier Reef.
Well, that's something.
Truth is out of style