Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: give some hasty rationalization, launch into some tangentially related crap, and then when someone replies to the initial point, pretend that the real topic is your freshly squeezed-out nugget of rhetoric

Topic: Mary Tyler Moore, Who Incarnated the Modern Woman on TV, Dies at 80 (Read 98 times) previous topic - next topic

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Mary Tyler Moore, Who Incarnated the Modern Woman on TV, Dies at 80
Mary Tyler Moore, Who Incarnated the Modern Woman on TV, Dies at 80

Because my mother was a huge fan of Mary and controlled the TV the majority of the time, I grew up in a household that saw every episode and multiple re-runs of The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda's spinoff and a decent slice of Phyllis. The Dick Van Dyke Show is and will always be one of my favorites.

Most people don't know about or perhaps realize the extent of MTM Enterprises started by Mary and her husband.

Moore and her husband Grant Tinker founded MTM Enterprises, Inc. in 1969; Moore later commented that he had named the entity after her in much the same fashion that someone might name a boat after a spouse. This company produced The Mary Tyler Moore Show and several other television shows and films. It also included a record label, MTM Records.[41] MTM Enterprises produced a variety of American sitcoms and drama television series such as Rhoda, Lou Grant and Phyllis (all spin-offs from The Mary Tyler Moore Show), The Bob Newhart Show, The Texas Wheelers, WKRP in Cincinnati, The White Shadow, Friends and Lovers, St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues, and was later sold to Television South, an ITV Franchise holder during the 1980s. The MTM logo is very similar to the Metro Goldwyn Mayer logo, but features Moore's cat Mimsie instead of the lion.

Mary's mysterious voice and gams were a staple of the Richard Diamond, Private Detective series. She would have brief appearances as the phone operator who face was obscured in the dark, her soft voice and visible legs added to the titillation.

Heh. Shoutout to Wikifeet.  ;)

It may look like a walnut. (couldn't find a nice hi-res at all. sad!)

This has always been one of my top ten favorite photos. There is a nice
hi-res print available and I hope to have a copy of it in my home one day.

The massive fern was the perfect backdrop for that hairstyle.

Group shuffle anyone ?

From crushing those capri pants to crushing the late 70s/early 80s jumpsuit.  lulz.

Dem eyes still very much full of life.

Betty White and Cloris Leachman are still kicking ass.

Bye Mary.  :sadcheer:  I hope we make it after all.

Mimsie will see us out.  If you've ever heard him I'll bet you can hear him now.

"You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things. Nobody talks about that."

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Re: Mary Tyler Moore, Who Incarnated the Modern Woman on TV, Dies at 80
Reply #1
 :cry:

Reply #2

Reply #3
MTM surprises Oprah