Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: all dead and empty except for a few baboons braying among the ruins

Topic: Brexit is go for launch (Read 2384 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Re: Brexit is go for launch
Reply #75
Just think of it as the universe trying to balance things out a little bit and compensate for decades of Americans smugly proclaiming this to be the best country in the world and lol look at those zany corrupt politicians in those wacky Third World countries.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #76
Just think of it as the universe trying to balance things out a little bit and compensate for decades of Americans smugly proclaiming this to be the best country in the world and lol look at those zany corrupt politicians in those wacky Third World countries.

Our systems can handle this fucking bozo.

PS america is still the greatest country in the world

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #77

Our systems can handle this fucking bozo.

PS america is still the greatest country in the world
tell that to the people who thought it needed to be made great again

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #78
I look at it as an additional cost of us electing trump

• linus
Reply #79
With the rise of Farage, Wilders and Le Pen they won't be able to point fingers too much longer.
They've been at it for much longer than Trump, so the common characterization of Wilders as a Dutch version of Trump is unfair---if anything, Trump is an American version of Wilders. Where Europe still has the upper hand is that our racist leaders aren't giant man-babies in the same way as Trump.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #80
How's that working out with Trump for you?

Is this what Americans are going to have to hear from Eurotrash for the next 4 years? Ugh.
Yes. Deal with it. :p
Truth is out of style

Reply #81
my, my, the continent that actually gave the world fascism having a self-righteous grandstanding session about it, fascinating.

Reply #82

Is this what Americans are going to have to hear from Eurotrash for the next 4 years? Ugh.
Not from me. I'll just use it when you suggest that there might be a silver lining to whatever cliff the UK decides to hurl itself off next.
Why do I bother?

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #83

Not from me. I'll just use it when you suggest that there might be a silver lining to whatever cliff the UK decides to hurl itself off next.
Quit being such a pussy.  Are you British?  Didn't you guys used to have an empire?  Sack up.

Reply #84
i think what ty's trying to say here is, yall could probably still kick africa's ass.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #85
Well I don't know, China is now heavily invested there and they don't sit around whining about things.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #86
Sorry, whinging.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #87
gunner your user name fucking kills me

Reply #88
much like harambe had to die for the idea of harambe to live

Reply #89
Anything that weakens the grip of multinational corporations that want to turn all the world into a single pile of indistinguishable dependent consumers is probably a good thing.  At least, there should be some kind of counterweight.  Maybe this is it, maybe not.

The EU is one of the few organisations that's in a good position to stand up to such corporations, and has done so on many occasions, eg the privacy laws protecting EU citizens, the various anti-trust cases (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_vs._Google, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp_v_Commission etc).
Meh. The central bank is fucked up in a thousand ways. But Britain was already insulated by keeping the pound.  As far as I can tell, both brexit and trump are semi justified reactions to neoliberal by the losers under that system. Ayn Rand made this hole. Now we all get to jump in it.
what are the advantages of leaving supposed to be?

Self determination?
The EU parliament is elected using a more democratic system than the UK parliament. We have representatives there. Its not like someone at Brussels comes up with an idea and its automatically stamped into law without anyone actually looking at it. (OK Farage probably doesn't, but that's because while he's an MEP he barely ever shows up and when he does speak he just shouts at everyone and disrupts proceedings rather than actually makes a coherent argument against why XYZ is a Bad Idea. I mean the guy and his mates even voted against tightening controls over the trade in ivory, and when he was in a position to actually do something about it as a member of the fisheries board he didn't bother going to the meetings.
  Not being embroiled in a bureaucratic nightmare?[/quote]
And the UK civil service isn't?
  The ability to control borders and immigration?
The EU was set up as a trading body and part of the point of it was the free movement of goods and labour.
There's a bunch of good reasons.
Not when the people enacting it seem to think that going back to telling to colonies to buy stuff from us is the solution. I meant hey actually think that selling scotch to India is going to be how we make our money in the post-EU future.

I'm going to love the look on the average UKIPper's face when we stop letting Romanians in, but make it much easier for Indians, Pakistanis, Kenyans, etc to come over.
Of course, the good might not outweigh the bad, only one way to find out . . .
[/quote]
Yeah, you don't really need to understand the platform if you figure out the.people in charge of it.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #90
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-18/sturgeon-hits-back-at-may-with-demand-for-pre-brexit-scots-vote

Looks like Scotland is go for its own launch.

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon hit back at U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May's rejection of a referendum on Scottish independence and demanded the right for the country to choose its post-Brexit future, though said she's willing to be flexible on the timing.

Denying Scots the chance to decide their own future once the terms of Britain's exit from the European Union are clear, would fly in the face of May's promise to work in the interests of all of the United Kingdom, Sturgeon told her Scottish National Party's conference in Aberdeen on Saturday. She would be open to discussions on timing "within reason," she told a packed auditorium.

"Whatever our different opinions on independence, we can all unite around this simple principle: Scotland's future must be Scotland's choice," Sturgeon said. "To stand in the way of a referendum denies us that choice. It ensures that the path of our country will be determined, not by us, but decided for us by an increasingly right-wing, Brexit-obsessed Tory government."

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #91
Yup. And given that May is headed for a hard Brexit I'd guess the next referendum will pass.
Truth is out of style

Reply #92
Interesting times
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #93
Incidentally I was just reading this: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/19/theresa-may-triggered-call-second-scottish-referendum-independence

Short version: May is doing an excellent job of pissing the Scots off, and with Labour being a political non-entity for the foreseeable future Scotland is staring at the prospect of more May, or something like her, for at least another decade. Put against that, independence starts looking pretty good.

And of course the Brits can't really argue against it, seeing as how they've just gone and made a fetish out of nationalism and independence.
Truth is out of style

Reply #94
Realistically a Scotland referendum will either not happen or will not be acknowledged by the EU. Spain, Italy, and other core EU countries are fighting hard enough to keep their own separationists from getting the referenda they want, so they are unlikely condone a referendum by Scotland that could be the model for Catalan independence or Venetian independence. Additionally, Scotland just does not have a plan to set up its own economy separate from the UK, and the EU is unlikely to accept a member state that doesn't have a basic governing and economic system set up. It could work, but it would fundamentally force the EU to see themselves as more than just an economic union and that's not likely to have positive results.

Finally, the rest of the EU could give a shit whether the UK leaves because the UK has really benefited from the single market without adhering to the actual rules of the single market. As a result, the UK has very much taken advantage of wealth generated in Europe without also contributing equally to it. A lot of EU citizens actually hope that saying goodbye to the UK will improve their local economies.

So no, I don't think Scexit is actually gonna happen.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #95
Umm, dude: the EU doesn't get a say in the matter. It's purely an internal UK thang.

ETA: Oh and some EU officials have already said that they thought the EU accession process for an independent Scotland should be pretty straightforward.
  • Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:30:13 PM by osmanthus
Truth is out of style

• Fenrir
Reply #96
Um. The UK is a union. Scotland didn't join it, they co-founded it. So if instead of leaving you look at it as Scotland kicking out England then the question of which entity retains EU membership could be quite interesting. Seeing as England doesn't want it how could they complain about Scotland getting it as part of a divorce settlement?
It's what plants crave.

Reply #97
Umm, dude: the EU doesn't get a say in the matter. It's purely an internal UK thang.

ETA: Oh and some EU officials have already said that they thought the EU accession process for an independent Scotland should be pretty straightforward.

A few EU officials is not the same as a majority of EU member states each with their own complex reasons for not necessarily backing Scottish accession to the EU

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #98
Theresa May to trigger article 50 on 29 March

Theresa May will trigger article 50, the formal mechanism for starting negotiations for Britain to leave the European Union, on Wednesday 29 March, the prime minister's spokesman has confirmed.

The UK's permanent representative to the European Union, Sir Tim Barrow, notified the EU on Monday morning that a letter should be expected on that date. The move will put the UK on course to leave the EU on the same date in 2019.
1/ Hold grenade firmly.
2/ Pull pin.
3/ Continue holding grenade firmly.
4/ Count to ten.
Truth is out of style

• ksen
Reply #99
5/ PROFIT!!!