Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• whenever stevef posts a thread, i imagine a big sled pulled by a cheerfully trotting mammoth bouncing into town. the mammoth shakes off the snow from his back and says "we-e-e-e-ll helloooo thar, folks! have a gander at this!" and his trunk pulls back the tarp from over the sled and reveals a big haul of science, publications and fossil samples and strange liquids in vials, all freshly carved from the knowledge mines.

Topic: Immigration/border patrol megathread (Read 5045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Immigration/border patrol megathread
Reply #175
That has the look of someone establishing a paper trail.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #176
http://kore.am/south-korean-musician-due-for-sxsw-denied-entry-to-us-called-chink/

Set aside the policies contributing to this, which are terrible, and just think about CBP personnel mocking visitors with racial epithets and monkey-mimicry.

Where does the Federal government find these pieces of shit?

This didn't happen in a red state.  It happened at the San Francisco International Airport.

Reply #177
That's the trouble with federal level jurisdiction. They don't need to represent the local community. Worse to me though is the thought that there is a community anywhere that these sorts of people do represent.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #178
http://www.theeastcarolinian.com/news/article_bcb8ca82-0c39-11e7-82ea-2fd83c607f73.html

Former Greenville Police Chief Hassan Aden said he was unreasonably detained, after allegedly being forced to sit in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection detention center for an hour and a half, which he detailed in a Facebook post earlier this evening.

"My freedoms were restricted, and I cannot be sure it won't happen again, and that it won't happen to my family, my children, the next time we travel abroad," Aden said in the post.

He went on to include in his post that when he tried to take up his complaints with the CBP, they claimed he was not being detained.

"I was in a room with no access to my mobile phone to communicate with my wife and family about what was happening, my movements were restricted to a chair, and they had my passport, and he had the audacity to tell me I was not being detained," Aden said.

After being released, he has continued to reach out to representatives about his experience and plans to continue reaching out to as many people as necessary.

"This country now feels cold, unwelcoming, and in the beginn

The CBP's excuse for "not detaining" him was that someone on the watch list was using his name..

Reply #179

Reply #180
What can reasonable citizens do when the exclusive legal monopoly on force granted to the state is used to attack and hurt innocent people for propaganda purposes? I mean, let's say I am at a meeting of concerned citizens that includes elected representatives and police officers a d whatever it needs to be a legitimately representative group representing a community and we all agree that a particular application of the use of force by a jurisdiction that originates outside the community is unacceptable, what type of strategies would be useful? My feeling at this point is that an aggressive campaign to delegitimize the institutional ethics of the agencies perpetrating the violence should be a first step. That way, when the next steps are taken to change the authority or structure or whatever of that agency, the narratives will be in place to restrict defensive strategies.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #181
With this organization, I'd go further and say that delegitimizing and othering the individuals who work for the organization - calling them out in their communities, in public, is an acceptable tactic.  Make them hate being the face people see.

Demonstrations at airports, letters to editors, facebook slams, etc., are all on the table as far as I'm concerned.

They're doing this crap, and many of them are going a lot further than their purview.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #182
The Hawaii Judge who halted implementation of Muslim Ban 2.0 has refused the request to narrow the injunction.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/324721-hawaii-judge-refuses-to-narrow-travel-ban

The U.S. district court judge declined a Department of Justice motion to restrict the restraining order to the temporary ban on nationals from six predominantly Muslim nations. The current halt also stays implementation of the executive order's 120-day ban on admitting refugees.

"The Motion ... asks the Court to make a distinction that the Federal Defendants' previous briefs and arguments never did," the judge wrote, as reported by Politico.
"As important, there is nothing unclear about the scope of the Court's order... ('Defendants... are hereby enjoined from enforcing or implementing Sections 2 and 6 of the Executive Order across the Nation.'). The Federal Defendants' Motion is DENIED."

Reply #183
With this organization, I'd go further and say that delegitimizing and othering the individuals who work for the organization - calling them out in their communities, in public, is an acceptable tactic.  Make them hate being the face people see.

Demonstrations at airports, letters to editors, facebook slams, etc., are all on the table as far as I'm concerned.

They're doing this crap, and many of them are going a lot further than their purview.
Hmm. While I agree with this, it might be tough to get buy in. What I would need to make that case is a series of case studies of immigration officers who were overtly being sadistic and showing somehow that it was connected to the culture of the institution. While that's easy enough in principle, especially if you are inclined to see it that way already, the trick for me is that neoliberal ethics are pretty ingrained in political leaders' thought patterns and they tend to see officers using force as institutional issues rather than personal issues. Also, there may be some stupid back of the mind thoughts about not alienating potential constituents. There's a bit of a balancing act because getting people to the point of admitting to themselves, in public anyway, that the system itself is actually broken because it is really only held together by shared values is pretty hard. The typical neoliberal framing is one level shallower at the level of working to establish shared values that promote the invisible violence of markets rather than the overt violence of, well, where we find ourselves now. Operating under a big tent idea might be a limitation of mine here though and it's possible that some form of piggybacking is possible.

Reply #184

Reply #185

Reply #186

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #187
That's pretty cool. Professional disc golf seems like a non sequitur.

It pretty much is.  There are maybe a dozen people that can support themselves playing full time (and selling merchandise on the side).  Everyone else has a real job and is just gambling their entry fee on the weekends.
  • Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:45:15 AM by SkepticTank

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #189

Reply #190
Crops are going to rot in the field, Trump-voting farmers are going to suffer, and food prices to everyone will rise  :happydance:

If the end result is that farm labor gets better protections out of this, great, but not exactly confident that'll happen.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #191
If the end result is that farm labor gets better protections out of this, great, but not exactly confident that'll happen.

Based on that recent piece about auto parts manufacturers in the South, the opposite is more likely: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-23/inside-alabama-s-auto-jobs-boom-cheap-wages-little-training-crushed-limbs

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #192
I hope you won't have hard feelings when the revolution kills all your in-laws

I know this post is old, and you're retarded, but I think if ever meet you in real life I will cave your head in and drink your blood.

Reply #193
you should watch less Walking Dead, bro

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #194

Reply #195
#putouttheireyes

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #196

Reply #197

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #198
I'm glad my dad taught me to be extremely cynical and totally distrustful of immigration officials. No single immigration officer anywhere in the world gives a single solitary fuck about you or your family. Some are just working under more humane rules.

I am honestly baffled by these fucking naive people who think the system will care about their lives being disrupted because they're "good people" and of course, consequently everyone they do mess with must be "bad." How fucking gullible do you have to be?  How dumb are these people with first hand experience with ICE and USCIS to think they'll get special treatment because they're "better" people? We are all fucking garbage to be thrown out, in their eyes. Morons.

Reply #199
Trump only meant the bad brown people who do all the crimes!

(Trump and ICE and the rest of the conservatives think all brown people are the bad ones :ssh:)