Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: we are internet drama junkies, and kinda like vultures circling the struggling beast. we don't necessarily need a personal stake in this shit, well other than lulz being serious personal business

Topic: Raccoon thread (Read 1417 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: Raccoon thread
Reply #25
Poor critters.

ETA: one of my cats caught distemper, either from live vaccine or from a sick cat at the vet's. Regardless, I'd not wish it on any animal. They kept him at the vet's for five days on continual drip line, then handed him back to me too weak to stand for more than a few minutes, ribs visible through his fur, a severe limp from being confined I guess, and no appetite. They gave me a sticky nutrient paste to smear on his mouth to encourage him to eat.

He did recover, but he was a half grown kitten and developed a little odd looking, like a cat in a Mediaeval painting, kind of long bodied and short-limbed. He had been all black, but developed white speckles through his fur, lots of them.

Anyway, miserable disease.
  • Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:16:55 PM by borealis

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #26
just by the by...
the human version of the virus that causes canine distemper is measles.

(It can be a pretty nasty disease, too, despite what you might hear from the Andrew Wakefields, Jenny McCarthys and Dave Hawkins of the world.)
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #27
That's interesting, I did not know that. I had measles, since there was no vaccine when I was a kid. I remember having mad fever dreams.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #28
Feline distemper is feline panleukopenia virus, which is a parvovirus like the one that causes parvo in dogs. Canine distemper is a paramyxovirus. So they have the same name but are totally different, which is why the term distemper has fallen out of favor for feline panleukopenia. It's still commonly called that in practice out of habit as a short hand because it's a pain in the ass to refer to the vaccine as FVRCP when you can just call it distemper.

Raccoons, which are the best animals that I'm not allowed to have as pets :sadcheer: , can actually be infected by both feline panleuk and canine distemper, but given the neurologic signs, this was probably canine distemper.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #29
Here's what you could end up doing, meep, so you could play with baby raccoons. :D

https://www.hopeforwildlife.net/

Hope for Wildlife is a charitable wildlife rehabilitation and education organization located in Seaforth, Nova Scotia. Since 1997, we have rescued, rehabilitated, and released over 40,000 injured and orphaned wild animals representing over 250 species.

One lady started this in 1997. It's not very far from where I live.

Reply #30
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #31
An adorable raccoon scaled the UBS building in St. Paul, and people have been watching it all day to see if the poor little thing comes down safely.

Live feed:

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #32
I CAN'T FIND OUT IF IT MADE IT BACK DOWN OR WAS RESCUED ON THE ROOF WTF USA NEWS PEOPLE?

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #33
DON'T LET IT DIE

• Monad
Reply #34
It is safe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44465587

and now being fed cat food

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #35
 :clap:  :cheer:  :happydance:

At least it got some cat food for its efforts.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #36
that's a young one

glad it survived

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #37
:clap:  :cheer:  :happydance:

At least it got some cat food for its efforts.

Now she's going to keep climbing the building and wondering where the fuck her cat food feast is. I hope she decides to sneak inside instead and take the stairs.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #38
I read somewhere that there's an estimated 20 raccoons per sq. mile in that city.

She looks too small and young to even be away from her mother, and compared to young raccoons her size here, she looks skinny. I hope they have a wildlife rehab near enough to take her to, where she can grow up some and then be let loose somewhere more appropriate.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #39
She can come live in my house and be my little buddy and also get in trouble by opening the pantry for the cats and dog to get into.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #40
They're cute and smart, but make terrible pets and get bitey as they age.

A family had one here, was in the news not long ago, because you're not legally allowed to keep wild pets here. But this guy had some kind of seizure causing condition, which was why the family rescued him in the first place. He was just like a dog, all excited when they came home, leash trained, hanging out on their shoulders. Anyway, he'd hit puberty and male raccoons aren't pet-like at that point. And legally vets here can't just neuter your pet raccoon. Eventually the wildlife park took him, so he'll have a fine, if limited territory for the rest of his life.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #41
Yes, but I can neuter a raccoon.

Don't crush my dreams, borealis. :sadcheer:

Reply #42

That is really disturbing.

• ffejrxx
Reply #43
I read somewhere that there's an estimated 20 raccoons per sq. mile in that city.
thats about right for in the cities

they do not make good pets, they are worse than human teenagers
and a good portion of them have rabies

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #44
Your mom has rabies.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #45

That is really disturbing.

It might make a raccoon a viable pet though... :unsure:

I mean, any animal can be a pet if you really want...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5I5H7EeC8k

Reply #46
I really don't get the whole raccoons are sweet and cute thing.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #47
Probly cuz you've never gotten up close and personal with raccoon cubs.

(Then again, I kind of like rats and mice...)
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #48

The adults are not 'sweet', but they remain cute. They are very fluffy and look plump, and waddle cutely, and their facial markings make them appear more expressive than animals with single colour faces. (This is noticeable with dogs and cats: when there are facial colour markings that highlight eyebrows, muzzles, ears, etc., we perceive the dog as more 'readable' as to emotions and intent. An all black dog might be expressing mad loving joy, but it's harder to tell if you don't know the dog and its body language.)

Raccoons are also clever and bold and curious, all traits we admire. You might be mildly pissed that they've gotten into your well-secured garbage bin, but you have to give them credit for figuring it out.

Reply #49
My last dog made it her personal mission to teach them that she was their boss.