Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Callout: computer nerds (Read 452 times) previous topic - next topic

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Callout: computer nerds
Why is a wifi signal limited to about 50Mbps?  Or is it and I've just been sold a bill of goods?

Re: Callout: computer nerds
Reply #1
The answer seems  inconclusive. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2611227?tstart=0

The actual bitrate is a function of frequency and code packing, so I don't know what the theoretical upper limit is, but the practical upper limit seems to be around 20-40 Mbps on current hardware.

• ffejrxx

Reply #2

Reply #3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

The basic issue is that the radio spectrum is a limited resource.  The more data you put on your carrier the wider the signal becomes and you're not allowed to stray outside the band you're broadcasting on.  Sufficiently complex equipment may broadcast on multiple bands at the same time but usually that's something the expensive routers do, not what the machines do.

(This is related to why it took New Horizons more than a year to broadcast everything from the Pluto flyby.  For NASA the bandwidth limit is a function of noise--the narrower the band the less noise and thus the fainter signal they can hear.  This limits New Horizons to the sort of speed we saw with dialup in the 80s.)

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #4
Thanks guys.

Comcast recently bought out my old cable/ISP company Bright House.  They have a 300Mbps package I bought but they also discontinued Bright House's home networking package that allowed you to put an ethernet connection in other rooms for a direct connection.  So unless I want to run cables from my living room to the other rooms I have to rely on the wireless connection which tops out around 40Mbps.

Comcast customer service was no help whatsoever.  I asked her if I have a 300Mbps internet package but can only access the internet from other rooms using wireless why should I pay for the 300Mbps connection when I'm only able to effectively connect at 40Mbps?

Ugh, I knew Comcast would be a nightmare when their merger was approved.

• ffejrxx

Reply #5
Thanks guys.

Comcast recently bought out my old cable/ISP company Bright House.  They have a 300Mbps package I bought but they also discontinued Bright House's home networking package that allowed you to put an ethernet connection in other rooms for a direct connection.  So unless I want to run cables from my living room to the other rooms I have to rely on the wireless connection which tops out around 40Mbps.

Comcast customer service was no help whatsoever.  I asked her if I have a 300Mbps internet package but can only access the internet from other rooms using wireless why should I pay for the 300Mbps connection when I'm only able to effectively connect at 40Mbps?

im sorry

see if they offer a lower speed package

or run some wires, its not as hard as it seems
wired is always faster than wireless
gigabit lan stuff is cheap, and you can get 100ft of cat5e for under $20
a good crimper is about $30
box of ends and hoods are about $10
cable tester $5-10
rj45 keystone wall plates are about $5 ea and look nice when done

if you have drop ceiling in basement or can squeese the wire under wall trim can make running the cable easier than it looks
it may be a day of moving furniture around, but great for wired pcs not near the router/modem

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
Yeah, I'm just going to run the wires and hide them best I can.

Reply #7

• MikeB

Reply #8
Ouch, $6 per foot!

Reply #9
There are cheaper, less architectural looking conduits available.  I like that quarter round looks like part of the fancy baseboard.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #10
Yeah, I'm just going to run the wires and hide them best I can.

Buy the crimper tool, terminators and a spool of cable like ffejrxx says.  If you try to buy pre-made wires it'll cost you a fortune.

• ffejrxx

Reply #11
crimping isnt as hard as it looks
if its a short cable, under 10ft, colors dont make any diff as long as both ends are the same
over 10ft usb code 'b'
http://www.incentre.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ethcable568b.gif

when i do cables, i trim the insulation off about 3in of wire (put on a hood if you have one)
seperate the pairs, line them up near the end of the insulation
trim at about 1/2in from the insulation end (make sure all wires are cut the same length)
cram into the connector (double check the colors and make sure they go all the way to the end of the connector)
then crimp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORZYBASS9zw

i hate the cat6/a connectors with the extra plastic dividers
http://www.vpi.us/images/6a-plg-stranded.jpg
 i just use cat5e ends on 6 and have had no issues
  • Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:59:00 PM by ffejrxx

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #12
Yeah, with a little practice it's not difficult at all.  Unfortunately, I only end up doing it every 5-10 years so I have to re-train myself all over again.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #13
  • Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:23:05 AM by MikeS

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #14
That definitely makes the task more difficult.

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #15
Nope, not color blind.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #16
If you already had the "home networking package" don't you already have cable run to the other rooms?  Or was it coax with a cable modem in each room previously?

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #17
It was like a tiny box that hooked into the coax and boosted the wifi range but also had ethernet ports in the back for hooking up with a wire.

Reply #18
Why is a wifi signal limited to about 50Mbps?  Or is it and I've just been sold a bill of goods?

There is a difference between theoretical speeds and actual speeds.
Your devices can only use the highest speed they are compatible with.

Below is a breakdown of the various 802.11 WiFi standards and their corresponding maximum speeds. Theoretical wireless speeds (combined upstream and downstream) are as follows:
802.11b - 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11a - 54 Mbps (5 GHz)
802.11g - 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11n - 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers
802.11ac - 1300+Mbps (5 GHz) - newer standard that uses wider channels, QAM and spatial streams for higher throughput

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:
802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (200+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

Link

Reply #19
Thanks guys.

Are you sure you the 300Mbps internet package refers to your internet connection speed?  Because it might mean they are giving you a 300Mbps wireless-n router which is a lot faster than the older wireless g routers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #20
It was like a tiny box that hooked into the coax and boosted the wifi range but also had ethernet ports in the back for hooking up with a wire.

Sounds like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-TPL-401E2K/dp/B004D9V8C8

ETA:
The 500Mbps Powerline AV Adapter Kit, model TPL-401E2K, uses any electrical outlet to create a secure building-wide high speed network. Connect one of the included adapters to your network, and plug the other in to any outlet on your electrical system for instant high speed network access. Connect the included adapters quickly using the convenient one-touch Sync button. Use up to 16* adapters to network devices in different rooms without running new cabling. A Gigabit Ethernet port on each adapter maintains high performance wired connections. Manage the Powerline adapters with the included Windows utility. LED displays convey device status for easy troubleshooting. Advanced 128-bit AES encryption secures your network. The included adapters are ideal for use in buildings that interfere with wireless networking signals.

Reply #21
That definitely makes the task more difficult.

Even with impaired color vision it's a problem.  For most day-to-day activities I see color fine.  Crimping wires, though--forget it.  I tried it long ago--and couldn't decide what went where.

• ffejrxx

Reply #22
powerline adapters suck
they work good enough if they are on the same circuit breaker, but across breakers or on the other side of the 220v rail performance drops dramatically

if you can run the wire, and find a local computer shop, ask a tec if he would be willing to terminate a few ends for a couple bucks

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #23
Yeah, with a little practice it's not difficult at all.  Unfortunately, I only end up doing it every 5-10 years so I have to re-train myself all over again.
same here

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #24
Nope, not color blind.
one of my friends didn't realize he was colorblind until he was in his twenties.  he had always wondered why the DC metro had two brown lines.

Reply #25
same here
You've just got to make yourself attractive. If your looks aren't movie starish, work on aspects of your personality that might be interfering. Also, go outside! You'll never get a date if you stay inside every night.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #26
hey, it's easy to say that, but actually bootstrapping your way back to getting laid is easier said than done.  it takes confidence.  but it's hard to have confidence if you're not already getting laid.  so there's an element of faking it til you make it.

Reply #27
You definitely need to fake it till you make it. But that's part of the personality thing. Practice talking out loud! Talk to the computer screen when you make a post and imagine how those words are likely to be received. It'll happen once you get your sea legs used to land.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #28
thanks for the help!  i'm sure ST appreciates it too.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #29
 :hmm:

Reply #30
 :hug:

Reply #31
Nope, not color blind.
one of my friends didn't realize he was colorblind until he was in his twenties.  he had always wondered why the DC metro had two brown lines.

My former employer gave color vision tests to all new hires because there were two jobs on the factory floor that weren't hard but required proper color vision.  20% of them (admittedly, 90% male) failed.  Nobody knew their color vision was flawed.

I've known since childhood but only because my parents suspected my troubles with learning colors might be vision related--they were.  School only tested for colorblind, a test I pass easily.

Reply #32
buy a dorky alien-spider-beast router

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320244

alternatively you can buy a pair of N66U or AC66U routers, reflash them with ddwrt, and use them to make a wifi link that can easily reach 200mbps, over a fairly long distance, through multiple walls, using the less-congested but not-good-at-wall-penetration 5GHz spectrum

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #33
Gigabit routers are only like $25 so I'm just going to get one of those.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #34
buy a dorky alien-spider-beast router

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320244

alternatively you can buy a pair of N66U or AC66U routers, reflash them with ddwrt, and use them to make a wifi link that can easily reach 200mbps, over a fairly long distance, through multiple walls, using the less-congested but not-good-at-wall-penetration 5GHz spectrum
FYI, check the existing BIOS on the router.  I've noticed a few new ones have the same capability as ddwrt provides on the older models.

• ffejrxx

Reply #35
Gigabit routers are only like $25 so I'm just going to get one of those.
get an ac router with good specs
gigabit is meaningless if the router cant handle the thruput
lots of ram (32+mb) and flash(8+mb), and fast cpu

most routers supported by dd-wrt or tomato are good enough
https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Reply #36
FYI, check the existing BIOS on the router.  I've noticed a few new ones have the same capability as ddwrt provides on the older models.
Routers don't have BIOS, they have EFI. You moron. You idiot. You cretin.

Also ASUS just uses a reskinned version of DDWRT on all of their routers. The web interface is more limited, but if you're willing to SSH into them and fuck with IPTABLES and adapter settings, you can do the same stuff as DDWRT.
get an ac router with good specs
gigabit is meaningless if the router cant handle the thruput
lots of ram (32+mb) and flash(8+mb), and fast cpu

most routers supported by dd-wrt or tomato are good enough
https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
AC still has an unjustifiable price premium, and won't help in situations where throughput is limited by range and not maximum bitrate. A good N router is a better choice.

I can do ~144mbps with a pair of these:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #37
Routers don't have BIOS, they have EFI. You moron. You idiot. You cretin.
Well, fuck you.  Don't follow me.  Fuck Off.

• ffejrxx

Reply #38
routers are not efi, they run firmware with a web interface

Reply #39
efi is a category of firmware tho

(also they run an OS/driver stack on top of the firmware, and the web interface runs on top of the OS layer)

• tysixtus
  • SAMURAI DORUGO

Reply #40
Might be too late, but I have a pair of these and they are fricking awesome:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491601899&sr=8-2&keywords=ethernet+plug+outlet

I run my PS4 off one of these, it rips.