Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Poll to be added in a moment

Topic: 2016 Election (U.S. Presidential, duh) (Read 52036 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2016 Election (U.S. Presidential, duh)
Reply #3075
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #3076
Trump blasting out a tweet this morning about his "shackles" finally being off. He's going full Breitbart.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3077
Maine governor paul lepage, who is p much trump's mini-me, has now actually said that we need trump to show some "authoritarian power", to save america

https://politicalwire.com/2016/10/11/lepage-suggests-u-s-constitution-broken/

Let's look at that again.

Sometimes, I wonder that our Constitution is not only broken, but we need a Donald Trump to show some authoritarian power in our country and bring back the rule of law because we've had eight years of a president, he's an autocrat, he just does it on his own, he ignores Congress and every single day, we're slipping into anarchy.

These people are fucking dangerous.

• linus
Reply #3078
Trump blasting out a tweet this morning about his "shackles" finally being off. He's going full Breitbart.
Shackles off = Conway quits?

Reply #3079
Maine governor paul lepage, who is p much trump's mini-me, has now actually said that we need trump to show some "authoritarian power", to save america

Sometimes, I wonder that our Constitution is not only broken, but we need a Donald Trump to show some authoritarian power in our country and bring back the rule of law because we've had eight years of a president, he's an autocrat, he just does it on his own, he ignores Congress and every single day, we're slipping into anarchy.

we need autocratic arbitrary rule to re-establish a rule of law undermined by autocratic arbitrary rule. uh ok.

(yes he means white supremacy by dictatorial fiat, i know)

Reply #3080
I'm gonna buy stock in popcorn!   :shockcorn:

Reply #3081

I'm beginning to wonder if their WWII hero granddaddies spanking them is the only thing that kept the fascists at bay in America.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #3082

we need autocratic arbitrary rule to re-establish a rule of law undermined by autocratic arbitrary rule. uh ok.

(yes he means white supremacy by dictatorial fiat, i know)
well there's good tyranny and bad tyranny...

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3083
teeth, I'ma blow your mind - the fascists have always been here... :ohmy:

• el jefe
Reply #3084
i think the specific thing going on here is trump's personality cult colliding with the possibility that he will lose.  the most important thing is that donald be our leader.  everything else is secondary.  now that he's losing the election, badly enough that some of them can't stay in denial, maybe the problem is democracy itself.
  • Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:50:40 AM by el jefe

• el jefe
Reply #3085

Reply #3086

Absolutely, but most have been afraid to be overt about it. It's been all dogwhistles and back rooms. That's obviously changing now.

I actually have to wonder if Trump's whole "I prefer soldiers who didn't get captured" shit with McCain is kind of a flicker of the resentment that American fascism has held towards the vets of WWII and Korea and their war narratives.

• el jefe
Reply #3087

Absolutely, but most have been afraid to be overt about it. It's been all dogwhistles and back rooms. That's obviously changing now.

I actually have to wonder if Trump's whole "I prefer soldiers who didn't get captured" shit with McCain is kind of a flicker of the resentment that American fascism has held towards the vets of WWII and Korea and their war narratives.

nah.  that would entail these people seeing themselves as fascists, and btw knowing what the term means.  they're all about the 1950s, when the memory of America vanquishing Nazis was fresh, and the youth had not yet really started to disrespect authority.  they miss uniformity and conformity and obedience, while being quite blind to the parallels between all that and the guys we had just beaten.

eta:  I will say that what you're saying is more true of the bigots.  to a large degree, they didn't go away in the 1960s, so much as go into the closet.  some died off, others eventually internalized social norms that they were at first only going through the motions with.  but many, particularly in the south, quietly carried the torch the whole time.  and now donald is telling them it's ok to come out of the shadows and be themselves.
  • Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:26:56 PM by el jefe

Reply #3088
Don't overthink it. It was Trump tossing something about not winning against the wall to insult someone who was against him. There's no program beyond WIN in Trump's mind.
BOOM says Mother Jones

Reply #3089
hey guys, let me let you in a secret:

Paul LePage is an idiot

• MikeS
Reply #3090

From the comments ...

one of those "better in the original German" quotes.
Manchmal ich denke dass unsere Verfassung nicht nur gebrochen ist, aber was wir brauchen ist ein Donald Trump einige Fuhrerische Macht in unserem Land zu zeigen und die Gerechtigkeit zuruckbringen.

My best attempt using rusty German to translate the first part of LePage's Manifesto. We should call it Mein Drumpfkampf.
Hahahaha ...

• linus
Reply #3091
Bannon really doesn't like Ryan
"Bannon has Alex Jones-level paranoia about Paul Ryan," the source said, referring to the right-wing radio host and conspiracy theorist who runs the pro-Trump website Infowars.

"He goes on these amazing rants," the source added of Bannon. "He thinks Paul Ryan is part of a conspiracy with George Soros and Paul Singer, in which elitists want to bring one world government."

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3092
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3093
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYAc7gB-0A

:parrot:
Truth is out of style

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3094
:smug:

Of course he's a fucking idiot, but it is pretty fucking remarkable to have a sitting US governor flat out say they want an authoritarian president because the Constitution is broken.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3095
:smug:

Of course he's a fucking idiot, but it is pretty fucking remarkable to have a sitting US governor flat out say they want an authoritarian president because the Constitution is broken.
So have another revolution, or civil war, or something. It's a pity to be rolling in weapons and have no real use for them. The US was founded on violence. Go for it.
Truth is out of style

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3096
Speaking of, a reporter is at a Mike Pence event in Iowa.

an Iowa voter just said to Pence, "If Hillary Clinton gets in, I myself, I'm ready for a revolution because we can't have her in."

Pence then said, "Don't say that."

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3097
Y'know, the reason you guys started off with a revolution, indeed the reason any revolution happens, is because a significant bunch of people convince themselves that something is unacceptable. So really, if the wingnuts did start another one, they'd simply be following the example set by Washington and Co.

:popcorn:
Truth is out of style

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #3098
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"
--Thomas Jefferson

• el jefe
Reply #3099
lol, another bullshit quote attribution from the internet. :rolleyes: