Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Internet Home for Milquetoast Fence-Sitters.

Topic: Google delists NaturalNews.com  (Read 740 times) previous topic - next topic

Google delists NaturalNews.com
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/2/23/1637044/-Google-blacklisted-Natural-News-hilarity-from-the-crackpot-ensues

Natural News, a website run by Mike Adams, the self styled Health Ranger, is a festering cesspool of junk medicine, pseudoscience and conspiracy theories. There isn't one positive thing I can say about the website, but there's very good news - Google blacklisted Natural News. If you use Google (who doesn't?), then perform a search for "Natural News" or the title of any story on that website, the actual website (naturalnews.com) does not appear at all in the search results. The only results that seem to appear are articles about Natural News. And a wonderfully snarky RationalWiki article.

Of course, Mike Adams went nuclear, something he's done in the past with Dr. David Gorski. In response to the Google action, Adams posted an article, "GOOGLE blacklists Natural News... removes 140,000 pages from its index... "memory holes" Natural News investigative articles on vaccines, pharma corruption, fraudulent science and more." Apparently, Adams jumped off the cliff of delusion down into the cave of hilarity. This has apparently unhinged him in ways that we skeptics have never quite been able to do, despite pointing out every dumb thing he's ever written.
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Re: Google delists NaturalNews.com
Reply #2
merged.   You beat me by 7 minutes.

Reply #3
Yeah so what's up with this?  I'm thinking it's not a premeditated thing by Google ... maybe just a bot thing?

Reply #4
Nope, according to the comments on Orac's blog its because he violated Goggle's t&c's. It might be a bot automatically delisting in response to a complaint, but I suspect that's unlikely.

In other words its not a conspiracy, or if it is, he's the conspirator.
Why do I bother?

Reply #5
What T&C's specifically?

Reply #6
What T&C's specifically?
::)
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2017/02/23/google-delists-mike-adams-his-hilarious-tantrum-about-the-conspiracy-behind-it-is-epic-as-is-my-schadenfreude/#comment-457744
I have it on good authority that Natural News was penalized by Google for a "sneaky mobile redirect" that broke their terms and conditions. This happens to a lot of sites. All Mike Adams has to do is fix it and file a reconsideration request to Google and it is all fixed. I will come back and post a link to a story on this when its posted.

It will be interesting to see if he does that, as it will not play into his conspiracy narrative.
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

Reply #7

Reply #8
What T&C's specifically?
::)
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2017/02/23/google-delists-mike-adams-his-hilarious-tantrum-about-the-conspiracy-behind-it-is-epic-as-is-my-schadenfreude/#comment-457744
I have it on good authority that Natural News was penalized by Google for a "sneaky mobile redirect" that broke their terms and conditions. This happens to a lot of sites. All Mike Adams has to do is fix it and file a reconsideration request to Google and it is all fixed. I will come back and post a link to a story on this when its posted.

It will be interesting to see if he does that, as it will not play into his conspiracy narrative.
OK

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #10
http://www.newstarget.com/...
News Target publishes information that cannot be validated and that is anti scientific fact. The information provided should be regarded as speculative opinion or propaganda and cannot be substantiated by fact or evidence. It is among the most untrustworthy sources in the media.
... in other words, ideal fodder for gullible tools like Hawkins.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #11
News Target publishes information that cannot be validated and that is anti scientific fact. The information provided should be regarded as speculative opinion or propaganda and cannot be substantiated by fact or evidence. It is among the most untrustworthy sources in the media.
Someone should try to dissect the psychology of people who go straight for that kind of reality-challenged source, in severe denial of sanity and reason. You can't just say 'they're crazy', because most of them manage to get by every day, get up, look after themselves properly, hold down jobs, etc. But there they are, in the evenings, poring over the modern equivalent of grimoires and alchemists' journals.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #12
Someone should try to dissect the psychology of people who go straight for that kind of reality-challenged source, in severe denial of sanity and reason. You can't just say 'they're crazy', because most of them manage to get by every day, get up, look after themselves properly, hold down jobs, etc. But there they are, in the evenings, poring over the modern equivalent of grimoires and alchemists' journals.
Just remember that as a YEC, Dave's default position is that evidence-based sites must be wrong. I suspect there's a large element of nya nya nya going on with his automatic embrace of anything non-factual.
Truth is out of style

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #13
Just remember that as a YEC, Dave's default position is that evidence-based sites must be wrong. I suspect there's a large element of nya nya nya going on with his automatic embrace of anything non-factual.

Well, that of course. But I've known non-YEC people who were just as deeply wedded to fantasy presented as fact.

Reply #14
I have a neighbor with a masters degree who thinks he's seen aliens, believes in chemtrails and listens to alex jones and buys herbal supplements from him. Oh yeah, he voted for trump of course. Nice guy otherwise.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #15
Yes someone should try to dissect that psychology ... the psychology that denies all reason and proposes that my uncle was a monkey and that the universe "just happened" with no intelligent input.  The psychology that assumes that Dave "goes for" sites like that and never bothers to define what they mean by "goes for."  I can analyze this psychology for you in about 5 seconds.

Lying.

Lying to yourself and to others.

The end.

• Photon
  • I interfere with myself
Reply #16
Yes someone should try to dissect that psychology ... the psychology that denies all reason and proposes that my uncle was a monkey and that the universe "just happened" with no intelligent input.  The psychology that assumes that Dave "goes for" sites like that and never bothers to define what they mean by "goes for."  I can analyze this psychology for you in about 5 seconds.

Lying.

The end.
There you go again. Accusing people of lying without any fucking evidence. And your argument rests on caricatures and willfull misinterpretations borne of your irrational prejudices. When will you ever learn?

FFS, grow up Dave.

Reply #17
You don't even recognize lying when you see it.  You probably didn't recognize CNN's recent lie with this story ... http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/politics/fbi-refused-white-house-request-to-knock-down-recent-trump-russia-stories/

• Faid
Reply #18
Tel you what, dave. You explain to me how CNN lied, and I'll explain to you how Fox News lied. Then we can check our 'lies' and see if they hold, and also which is more dangerous.

Whaddaya say?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #19

Lying.

The end.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Gandalf
That word comes too oft and easy from your lips.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #20
Yes someone should try to dissect that psychology ... the psychology that denies all reason
sweeping completely unsupported assertion.
and proposes that my uncle was a monkey
Fabrication. Cite any example of someone asserting that your uncle was a monkey. Yes, I understand that you will claim something like "truthful hyperbole", but in fact you are stating something untrue with the intention of misrepresenting.  I.e., you are lying. Right here.
and that the universe "just happened" with no intelligent input.
The fact that you disagree doesn't mean that it "denies all reason". Except, of course, in the mind of the raging narcissist.
The psychology that assumes that Dave "goes for" sites like that and never bothers to define what they mean by "goes for."
I generally rely on common usage and dictionary definitions. No one explicitly defines every word they use in a discussion. 
I can analyze this psychology for you in about 5 seconds.

Lying.

:ironicat:
:ironicat: :ironicat:
:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:
:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:
:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:

The end.
::)  You'd like that, wouldn't you?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• JonF
Reply #21
I'll probably cross-post this, but...

The Shallow State: Forget the conspiracy theories. Something much more dangerous is seeking to gut our government and change the character of our society.

The shallow state, on the other hand, is unsettling because not only are the signs of it ever more visible but because its influence is clearly growing. It is made scarier still because it not only actively eschews experience, knowledge, relationships, insight, craft, special skills, tradition, and shared values but because it celebrates its ignorance of and disdain for those things. Donald Trump, champion and avatar of the shallow state, has won power because his supporters are threatened by what they don't understand, and what they don't understand is almost everything. Indeed, from evolution to data about our economy to the science of vaccines to the threats we face in the world, they reject vast subjects rooted in fact in order to have reality conform to their worldviews. They don't dig for truth; they skim the media for anything that makes them feel better about themselves. To many of them, knowledge is not a useful tool but a cunning barrier elites have created to keep power from the average man and woman. The same is true for experience, skills, and know-how. These things require time and work and study and often challenge our systems of belief. Truth is hard; shallowness is easy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dave
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #22
Wow... they really have nailed the Hawkins phenomenon.  ^^^^  To a T .

Reply #23

Lying.

The end.
There you go again. Accusing people of lying without any fucking evidence. And your argument rests on caricatures and willfull misinterpretations borne of your irrational prejudices. When will you ever learn?

FFS, grow up Dave.
I think I've got to stick up for him here. He posted a link to newstarget describing Mike Adam's response as a "rant". I took that to mean he was being critical of the response from Adams. He was then accused of buying into what he just criticized. 

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #24
I think I've got to stick up for him here. He posted a link to newstarget describing Mike Adam's response as a "rant". I took that to mean he was being critical of the response from Adams. He was then accused of buying into what he just criticized. 
Well, fair enough.
Hawkins can speak for himself whether he was being critical of the "rant" from the source he has often represented as reliable (e.g.here) or he's had a change of heart.

Dave?