TR Memescape

• Stop, I divorce you.

Topic: Pokemon Go!!!! (Read 407 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Pokemon Go!!!!
Yo Raven!

Remember when we tried this dumb shit 3 years ago?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Re: Pokemon Go!!!!
Reply #1
Yeah, I've been thinking about Ingress, actually.  And wondering what game franchise will be next after pokemon.  I'm imagining something like Everquest as an overlay on reality.

The novelty will probably wear off, but it's been fascinating to watch how talkative people on the streets have gotten.  groups of teens to twentysomethings wander around downtown, etc., and ask strangers stuff like "Mystic?" and then launch into a deep conversation about techniques, places to hunt, pokegyms, etc.

Could lead to strange things - even improvements in mental health as a result of more human interaction.

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #2
my 10yo has just put it on his iPad

is this bad?

• MSG
Reply #3
braying among the ruins

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #4
http://www.inc.com/walter-chen/pok-mon-go-is-driving-insane-amounts-of-sales-at-small-local-businesses-here-s-h.html

I was pretty sure this was happening yesterday when I was at a coffee shop with my puppy.  There was a pokemon gym 2 buildings down the street, and there were tons of people catching pokemon in the coffee shop and on the sidewalk outside.

I'm not sure how much of that traffic benefited the coffee shop.  The ice cream parlor, on the other hand...whoo.

There's a pokestop directly across the street from my house at the neighborhood pool.

There are pokemon in my house right now.

I would totally play a headsup VR Elder Scrolls game.  Someone make this happen.

• Old Dan
Reply #5
Yall, this Pokemon Go game has been crazy. I done let my millennial borrow my cellphone at night now, so's he can go catch Pokemon. I done seen older kids and younger adults walkin all over the holler, lookin at their phones, of course, but out and about.

My boy sez that certain levels or rewards get unlocked at certain distances, like 5km. He done walked 5km twice so far, and his next reward comes at 10km.

Thing is, it's on my daggone phone, and latched onto my Google account, so I reckon I'm playin, too. I gotta get me some Pokeballs...

real eta: my boy and his buddies found out that the local skate park was a Pokestop, they were out there in the dark with about 6 other boys on Friday night. Cop rolls up, sez "Yall, I gotta level up (or somethin you do at a Pokestop), yall kids walk them bikes home 'cause they aint got lights." So the cop played his Pokemon Go, the boys all walked away, cop pulls out, boys get on bikes, cop slams into reverse and chases 'em.... gotta catch 'em all, I reckon.

The boys aint in trouble.

Alla these words just done became part of my lexicon within the past week.
  • Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:28:32 AM by Old Dan

• Old Dan
Reply #6
2014: This is needs to be a real thing.
2015: This is going to be a real thing.
2016: This is a real thing that drove everyone crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YMD6xELI_k

This YouTube video was an April Fools prank in 2014, yall.

• Old Dan
Reply #7
All around the world, authorities are worrying about Pokemon Go

Your humble WorldViews blogger may be one of the bitter-enders who refuses to go hunt a Japanese cartoon monster. Otherwise, the phenomenon of Pokemon Go -- which, for those living under a rock that may also be a Poke-stop, involves an augmented reality app that allows millennials to inhabit the somewhat nihilistic game of their childhood -- seems to have become a worldwide craze, eclipsing Twitter, Tinder and other ubiquitous social media platforms.

But parallel to the near-global obsession have been the concerns of, well, grown-ups around the world worried about the app's effects. These include security flaws posed by the app itself, as well as myriad cases of robbers and other assailants exploiting the game's mechanics to lure unsuspecting victims.

Then, there's the simple issue of propriety. In Washington, the Holocaust Museum and Arlington National Cemetery have been compelled to put out stern notices, requesting visitors to refrain from chasing around Pokemon while on the premises.

In some corners of the Muslim world, the reaction to the game took on a particular moral valence. Earlier this week, my colleague Sudarsan Raghavan blogged about the 2001 fatwa against the original Pokemon game, issued by an Egyptian cleric, who said the game taught children gambling through the use of "Masonic and Zionist symbols." But now, the deputy chief of Cairo's Al-Azhar, the most important scholarly institution of Sunni Islam, has declared Pokemon Go to be as illicit as alcohol.

"This game makes people look like drunkards in the streets and on the roads while their eyes are glued to the mobile screens leading them to the location of the imaginary Pokemon in the hope of catching it," said Abbas Shouman, as quoted by Gulf News. He went on: "Will people neglect their work and earning their living and devote themselves instead to hunting for Pokemon?"

Meanwhile, Mehmet Bayraktutar, the head of Turkey's union of imams, grumbled about Pokemon Go enthusiasts venturing to mosques and other sacred sites to find their Pokemon.

"This undermines the prominence and significance of mosques, which are the most beautiful worship places in Islam," said Bayraktar, according to Hurriyet Daily News. He added: "I want it to be banned in Turkey."

The Israeli army aint allowed to play it, and Russia thinks it's "Satanism."

South Korea likes it, but only in the one city where Google Maps works, yall.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #8
https://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/is-facebook-dying-whats-killing-it/

Karen Lamb hits several social media topics before zeroing in on pokemon go.

Reply #9
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/pokemongo-alberta-brothers-us-border-crossing-1.3692564

And there is at least one in Area 51.
Good luck catching that one.

Reply #10
I can not think of any examples but there must be some rat race science fiction based on getting people to think that they are playing a game but are in actuality performing a service and making money for someone that is manipulating them.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #11
Not exactly the same, but ST:TNG everyone got addicted to a game so much that they gave up on all their other duties.  If it wasn't for Wesley fucking Crusher the bad guys would have been able to take control of the Enterprise.

The above is completely from memory and probably factually incorrect in several ways. It's been a few decades.

• Faid
Reply #12
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Doobie Keebler
  • I've got a lot of problems with you people
Reply #13
More evidence that Go is of the devil. Please to warn your pastor, priest, shaman, guru, witch doctor, etc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zif5RLvQ8Q0

"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Faid
Reply #14
I heard others tied it onto the blade of a ceiling fan.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• ksen
Reply #15
I can not think of any examples but there must be some rat race science fiction based on getting people to think that they are playing a game but are in actuality performing a service and making money for someone that is manipulating them.

ender's game

• Faid
Reply #16
Anyway seriously, the whole hype with this game is not even a significant fraction of the hype that had been created when the first Pokemon game had come out. As for all the supposed dangers, people hurting themselves or not socializing with others... Those among us who have seen more winters will remember the whole craze with Tamagotchi; How they supposedly made people into introverts, or how they caused accidents because people would not watch where they were going as they fed their portable pets. Well, turns out the world didn't end then, and it probably won't end now. If anything, Pokemon Go actually encourages social interaction among people who (let's face it) would otherwise stay in front of the screen all day.