Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational:  We are all the Body of Christ.

Topic: so has russia secretly taken over the US or something? (Read 312 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
so has russia secretly taken over the US or something?
- they tried (and possibly succeeded) at influencing our election, in multiple ways. 

- they seem to have sketchy connections with our president and his friends. 

- they are friendly with a new nationalist movement that has upended our politics. 

- they have apparently hacked the shit out of US government information systems, often by coming in the front door with Kaspersky Antivirus software

- and now we're hearing that they bought (or at least tried to buy) half our uranium industry

what.  the.  fuck.

what is going on here?  how did this happen?

discuss

• MikeS
Re: so has russia secretly taken over the US or something?
Reply #1
It's hoof wanking bunglecuntery.

• el jefe
Reply #2
can you translate that into american russian?

Reply #3
- they tried (and possibly succeeded) at influencing our election, in multiple ways. 

- they seem to have sketchy connections with our president and his friends. 

- they are friendly with a new nationalist movement that has upended our politics. 

- they have apparently hacked the shit out of US government information systems, often by coming in the front door with Kaspersky Antivirus software

- and now we're hearing that they bought (or at least tried to buy) half our uranium industry

what.  the.  fuck.

what is going on here?  how did this happen?

discuss

you're the pundit. you tell us.

• el jefe
Reply #4
I already did my job with the provocative rhetorical questions.  now, You Decide

Reply #5
Privatization of Russia's state infrastructure is a huge part of it. A lot of the worst possible people made a ton of money extremely quickly and have enough access to the infrastructure of the state (including things like intelligence agencies) to create a ton of havoc in order to get short-term financial gains. The situation in the US is partially a result of this use of intelligence agencies for private profit as well as members of the US ultra-rich trying to get on the oligarchy train and trying to figure out how to privatize as much of he US infrastructure as possible with the help of apparatchiks who have gone their careers feeling like their opinions haven't mattered (e.g. Kelly, Flynn, Mattis).

Reply #6

You haven't been paying enough attention to the stories coming out of Bullshit Mountain. The Uranium One sale was a big talking point in the right wing media bubble as far back as 2015. It appears that Trump revived it as a deflection.

ETA:  In addition, it wasn't "half" of the US uranium industry. Uranium One had mining rights to approximately 20% of known US uranium ore deposits. However, no US uranium could be exported to Russia or anywhere else unless issued a license by the US.
  • Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:59:03 AM by Recusant

• Monad
Reply #7

Vodka, perestroika, Checkov

• el jefe
Reply #8
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/356630-fbi-watched-then-acted-as-russian-spy-moved-closer-to-hillary

russian agents tried to build a relationship with the clintons when hillary was secretary of state, but were caught and stopped.  the fbi didn't seem think any clintons or clinton friends did anything illegal.

• el jefe
Reply #9

You haven't been paying enough attention to the stories coming out of Bullshit Mountain. The Uranium One sale was a big talking point in the right wing media bubble as far back as 2015. It appears that Trump revived it as a deflection.

ETA:  In addition, it wasn't "half" of the US uranium industry. Uranium One had mining rights to approximately 20% of known US uranium ore deposits. However, no US uranium could be exported to Russia or anywhere else unless issued a license by the US.
I knew there was a rwnj conspiracy meme centered on this, and I don't take that seriously.  but it does at least seem to be true that the purchase or attempted purchase actually happened.

and yeah, I knew it was 20%, not half.  I was exaggerating

Reply #10

Vodka, perestroika, Checkov

Anton or Pavel?

• Monad
Reply #11
All of them

• ksen
Reply #12
Russians are the current boogeyman flavor of the month. Not too long ago it muslims. In the not too far future it'll be a different group.

I don't believe the Russians are nearly as competent or resourceful as they are being made out to be.

Reply #13
Thing is, one doesn't have to be particularly resourceful, competent, or even that organized to create fake news and troll right wingers.

Reply #14
Russians are the current boogeyman flavor of the month. Not too long ago it muslims. In the not too far future it'll be a different group.

I don't believe the Russians are nearly as competent or resourceful as they are being made out to be.
The problem is they aren't being made out to be either. They are basically mason.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #15

Hey look who drank the Intercept's kool aid.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #16

how do you manage to be more wrong about things than guapo

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #17
Well, which guapo

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #18
that is what you gotta ask yourself

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #19
Well, trying to make Canada the bad guy hasn't been working all that well, so for now it's Russians, football players, Puerto Rico, and oh yes mothers of dead soldiers.

• ksen
Reply #20
Well, trying to make Canada the bad guy hasn't been working all that well, so for now it's Russians, football players, Puerto Rico, and oh yes mothers of dead [black] soldiers.
fixt!

Reply #21

Imagine if the Kochs owned the past 50 years of CIA capabilities That's basically what Russia is at this point.

• el jefe
Reply #22
Well, which guapo
there is only one true guapo.  thou shalt have no guapos before me.