Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: beep boop

Topic: Trumpocalypse (Read 115531 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpocalypse
Reply #425
He's taking the republican position for the last 40 years to it's extreme conclusion (and by conclusion, I mean the end of civilization as we know it....)

Republicans: keep telling how us the government never works right, and they keep getting elected to prove it.

Reply #426
I'm sure this comparison has been made (I think I may have even seen it here recently, but I can't remember where), but it's really like he's taking a Ron Swanson approach to these cabinet positions. Find the person who most opposes what that administration is supposed to do so that it will most effectively end up doing nothing.

yeah but at least Ron Swanson never stood in the way and sometimes actually helped his [equivalent of an] undersecretary do things.

Reply #427
I think the hardest thing to believe about all of this is that every time they announce a new pick or every time Trump does or says something stupid, I still have a little bit of WTF and "this can't be happening" left.

Today's nopenopenopenope: https://www.statnews.com/2016/12/07/trump-fda-oneill/

Potential FDA pick is a venture capitalist libertarian with no science background who thinks that companies should only have to show their drugs are safe, and the market will figure out which ones actually work. He also thinks people should be allowed to make money off of selling their organs. He's on the board of an organization that supports the creation of libertarian societies floating at sea.

O'Neill also serves on the board of the Seasteading Institute, an organization that aims to create its own sea-based floating communities, on the theory that existing governments are woefully ineffective. "Obsolete political systems conceived in previous centuries are ill-equipped to unleash the enormous opportunities in twenty-first century innovation," the Seasteading website notes.

"As a libertarian, I was inclined to believe that the regulatory costs that the FDA impose kill a lot of people and provide a lot of harm to the economy, and I don't deny that ... but one thing that surprised me is that the actual human beings at the Food and Drug Administration like science; they like curing disease and they actually like approving drugs and devices and biologics."

O'Neill has also said that organ donors should be allowed to be paid. "There are plenty of healthy spare kidneys walking around, unused," he said in a speech at a 2009 Seasteading conference.

And the CEO of Carl Jr's and Hardee's, Andy Puzder, is going to be Secretary of Labor. Here's Andy fighting for the working class who have been hurt by globalization:
"They're always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there's never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex, or race discrimination case," says Puzder of swapping employees for machines.

I really can't shake my view that everyone who voted for Trump is an idiot, an asshole or a combination thereof.

I can still have some empathy for people in really shitty spots economically, but they're still god damned morons for voting for a billionaire conmen heading the party who loves fucking over everyone in favor of the wealthy.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #428
China now voting with Russia against the US in the UN Security Council.

http://www.voanews.com/a/un-security-council-votes-down-syrian-cease-fire-resolution/3624009.html

I believe that might have been the sound of a shoe dropping.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #429
This is somewhat encouraging: Three Hurdles to Reversing U.S. Energy Policy: States' Rights, Industry Momentum, Technology

"We're going to lose a lot of good stuff, but it's not as bleak for this purpose as one might expect," said Hal Harvey, CEO of Energy Innovation--an energy policy research firm based in San Francisco--during a Nov. 28 lecture at Stanford. The Stanford Precourt Institute for Energy released video of Harvey's lecture on Monday.

1. Most effective energy policies are set at the state level. And those that aren't can be. Harvey offered numerous examples:

California has the right under the Clean Air Act to set its own emissions standards for vehicles, and other states have the option to follow California's standards or the federal ones. "And so if we soften the new CAFE standard, that's fine," Harvey said. "California is going to do a Calexit and has done so, and ten other states with 50 percent of the country's population are already on board."
    Policymakers can improve energy efficiency through building codes, and those are set at the state and local level. Just as it sets its own emissions standards, California sets its own energy efficiency standards, Harvey said, and other states copy them.
    Urban planners can have a big influence over energy use, and urban design, said Harvey, is "clearly not a federal priority."
    Public utilities commissions have direct influence over power plants and utilities. "There are 50 of them in America; there are zero in Washington," Harvey said. "There's the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which probably can't muck us up too badly."
    Utility-scale energy efficiency programs are established by the states.
    States can pass carbon taxes or set up carbon markets. They can combine these efforts with other states, as nine northeastern and mid-Atlantic states have done in the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative. "We have a carbon cap in California," Harvey said. "That didn't require the federal government."

2. Momentum favors clean energy. "The technological and economic winds are definitely at our back," Harvey said. Energy Innovation published a paper in August showing that it's possible to build a brand new wind farm in Colorado, including all of its capital costs and installation costs, for less than the operating cost of an existing coal plant. 

3. Technology trumps commodity. The only costs of wind and solar are capital costs to build and maintain technology. Fossil fuel plants have commodity costs for the fuel they burn. Commodity costs swing up and down, Harvey said, while technology costs tend to only go down. "So when a technology price crosses a commodity price, especially a low commodity price, you win."
Truth is out of style

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #430
Chuck Jones, the president of the United Steelworkers chapter that represents the Carrier workers, told the Washington Post that Trump lied his ass off about the deal and that it made him sick to find out that only 730 production line jobs would stay.

In response, Trump attacked him on Twitter: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/07/donald-trump-tweets-jab-carrier-union-president/95121916/

I'm glad anyone who questions Trump's dog and pony shows is already being subject to this kind of horseshit. It'll be even better when he's got the full power of the executive branch at his disposal to go after random people. I haven't found an official source to back this up, but apparently Jones is already getting death threats.

Yay America! :cheer:

Trump:
Chuck Jones, who is President of United Steelworkers 1999, has done a terrible job representing workers. No wonder companies flee country!

If United Steelworkers 1999 was any good, they would have kept those jobs in Indiana. Spend more time working-less time talking. Reduce dues

Reply #431
America has decided that hate is more American than football:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/dec/08/nikita-whitlock-burglary-racist-graffiti-nfl

Reply #432
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/donald-trump-says-he-is-not-bothered-by-comparisons-to-hitler-a7466046.html
"You're increasingly being compared to Hitler," ABC News' George Stephanopoulos said during an interview with Trump on "Good Morning America" Tuesday. "Does that give you any pause at all?"

"No," Trump responded, "because what I am doing is no different than what FDR -- FDR's solution for Germans, Italians, Japanese, you know, many years ago."

Stephanopoulos jumped in as Trump kept talking: "So you're for internment camps?"

"This is a president who is highly respected by all," Trump said of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. "He did the same thing -- if you look at what he was doing, it was far worse."

Trump's answer was confusing and meandering but he seemed to be making the point that during times of war, more extreme measures must be used.

"We are now at war," Trump said. "We have a president that doesn't want to say that, but we are now at war."

"I've got to press you on that, sir,"Stephanopoulos said. "So you're praising FDR there, I take it you're praising the setting up of internment camps for Japanese during World War II?"

"No, I'm not," Trump responded. "No, I'm not. No, I'm not."

Trump then rattled off the numbers of some of the presidential proclamations Roosevelt issued "having to do with alien Germans, alien Italians, alien Japanese."

"They went through a whole list of things -- they couldn't go five miles from their homes, they weren't allowed to use radios, flashlights," Trump said. "Take a look at what FDR did many years ago, and he's one of the most highly respected presidents... They named highways after him."

Stephanopoulos responded: "You want to bring back policies like that?"

After a pause, Trump responded: "No, I don't to bring it back, George. At all. I don't like doing it at all. It's a temporary measure until our representatives, many of whom are grossly incompetent, until our representatives can figure out what's going on."

Reply #433
Jesus Christ someone get a clear shot.

Eta: that was for Bilirubin
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #434
shit like that should be grounds for fucking impeachment, musing about and trying to pre-justify prison camps for Muslims in 2016

Reply #435
Should be grounds for revolution.

Reply #436
http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/12/trump-transition-wants-names-of-energy-department-staff-who-worked-on-climate-232424

It is a short article:

Trump transition wants names of Energy Department staff who worked on climate
By DARIUS DIXON 12/09/16 11:19 AM EST

President-elect Donald Trump's Energy Department transition team has asked the agency for the names of employees and contractors who toiled on the Obama administration's big climate change efforts, according to a 74-point questionnaire obtained by POLITICO.

The questionnaire asks for a list of DOE workers who attended any United Nations climate change conferences in the last five years. It also requests the list of those who attended any of the interagency working groups that have crafted a "social cost of carbon," which several Obama administration agencies have used to help justify some regulations.

Besides specific names, the Trump team also asked: "Which programs within DOE are essential to meeting the goals of President Obama's Climate Action Plan?" It also asks for the agency to identify which office "owns" the work on international "Clean Energy Ministerials" and "Mission Innovation," a multinational effort to develop clean technology.

Bloomberg first reported about the questionnaire but did not release a copy of the document.

Reply #437
Holy shit that's not good.

Reply #438
well we know who's getting purged first

Reply #439
First they came for the climatologists...
Why do I bother?

Reply #440
And the public did nothing because they was too stupid to know what "Climatologists" are.

Reply #441
House Republicans have introduced a bill that would massively cut Social Security for almost everyone.

• Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:21:48 PM by brugroffil

Reply #442
 :stareicide:

Reply #443
no exceptions for people currently receiving benefits either, lol. we are all going to die broke and without access to healthcare.

oh and it bumps the minimum age for your drastically reduced benefits to 69.

Reply #444
that's a one term perspective.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #445
Giuliana has removed himself from consideration for a job in the Trump administration.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/09/politics/rudy-giuliani-removes-himself-from-consideration-for-trump-cabinet-post/index.html

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #446
Also, the GOP is planning to cut social security in 2016 - this year.

Until then let me cover the broad details of the plan.

Unlike the Bush-era plan to partially phase out Social Security and replace it with private investment accounts, this plan takes a different approach. Through a variety of mechanisms, this plan simply cuts benefits and introduces means testing. To look at specific cuts, changes in eligibility and so forth look at pages 2 and 3 on this official Social Security Administration scoring document analyzing the plan. The benefit cuts appear to hit everyone but are weighted toward more affluent recipients.

The big picture is that the current Social Security Trust Fund is predicted to be exhausted in the mid-late 2030s. So roughly in 20 years. People often refer to this as 'bankruptcy'. But that's not really accurate. At that point Social Security would only be able to pay 79% of benefits recipients will be entitled to in those years.

By 2090, that percentage falls to 74%. So it's fairly stable after that drop-off in the 2030s.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/gop-plan-major-social-security-cuts

Washington Examiner article

The bill put forward by Texas' Sam Johnson, the chairman of the subcommittee on Social Security, would reduce costs by changing the benefits formula to reduce payments progressively for high earners. It would also gradually raise the full retirement age from 67 to 69 for people who are today 49 or younger. Lastly, it would change the inflation metric used to calculate benefits to one that shows lower inflation, essentially slowing the growth in benefits, and eliminate cost of living adjustments for high earners.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/key-gop-lawmaker-introduces-social-security-reform-plan/article/2609233

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #447
http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/12/trump-transition-wants-names-of-energy-department-staff-who-worked-on-climate-232424

It is a short article:

Trump transition wants names of Energy Department staff who worked on climate
By DARIUS DIXON 12/09/16 11:19 AM EST

President-elect Donald Trump's Energy Department transition team has asked the agency for the names of employees and contractors who toiled on the Obama administration's big climate change efforts, according to a 74-point questionnaire obtained by POLITICO.

The questionnaire asks for a list of DOE workers who attended any United Nations climate change conferences in the last five years. It also requests the list of those who attended any of the interagency working groups that have crafted a "social cost of carbon," which several Obama administration agencies have used to help justify some regulations.

Besides specific names, the Trump team also asked: "Which programs within DOE are essential to meeting the goals of President Obama's Climate Action Plan?" It also asks for the agency to identify which office "owns" the work on international "Clean Energy Ministerials" and "Mission Innovation," a multinational effort to develop clean technology.

Bloomberg first reported about the questionnaire but did not release a copy of the document.

assuming trump tries to follow through with whatever witch hunt he's imagining, this will be an example of him learning some things about the presidency the hard way.

assuming these are career employees, and they were following directions and rules, he won't be able to just can them.  in general, you can't fire a federal employee without cause.  they have to be disobeying directions, breaking rules, or failing to perform.  also, they can be furloughed or laid off in groups, though not individually targetted for it.  some of the laws that prevent the president from firing people without cause are there precisely to prevent the kind of political interference he's attempting.

now, once he and his people digest that lesson, they might still feel they have the cause they need to move forward.  after all, according to rightwing conspiracy lore, obama's carbon regulations were an  ideologically-motivated abuse of power.  and, if that were true, something in there might well add up to cause to fire some career employees.  but where they will run into another brick wall is when the dismissed employees sue to keep their jobs, and the trump administration learns that the courts have an annoying, nitpicky definition of "evidence", which is not satisfied by "someone on twitter said so".

eta: that all goes for career employees, who they seem to be talking about.  wouldn't need to get any names if it were political appointees.  and, while political appointees can be dismissed far more easily, they are all already going to be replaced anyway.
  • Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:07:48 PM by el jefe

Reply #448
Buzzfeed as a source for a story about fake news  :hmm:

And a quiz: https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/this-weeks-fake-news-quiz?utm_term=.pgm93wgoz#.ig5lwdkzP

But it's a terrible quiz because they don't actually show you the news story, only the headline and a picture.

BBC is fucking it up the same way: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38005844

You can only guess, which isn't a test of anything but your luck at guessing.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #449
A more complete article from CNBC on the apparent climate-science witch hunt:
President-elect Donald Trump's Energy Department transition team sent the agency a memo this week asking for the names of people who have worked on climate change and the professional society memberships of lab workers...
It asked for a list of all department employees or contractors who have attended any meetings on the social cost of carbon, a measurement that federal agencies use to weigh the costs and benefits of new energy and environment regulations. It also asked for all publications written by employees at the department's 17 national laboratories for the past three years. ...
The memo also asked for the names of the 20 top salaried employees at the department's labs, and a list of all websites maintained or contributed to by lab staff during work hours.

A list of projects at the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy which funds research into high risk clean energy projects that could revolutionize energy markets, was also requested.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins