TR Memescape

• Talkrational:  It's good to be vig

Topic: Trumpocalypse (Read 115557 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: Trumpocalypse
Reply #2600
Spicer claims Iran attacked US ship
that would be even flimsier than the gulf of Tonkin incident.  in that case we at least had north Vietnamese forces (a few guys in a patrol boat) actually firing (a few rounds with small arms) at a US naval vessel (causing no injuries and only minor damage that didn't need repair), out of nowhere (probably in response to a special forces raid by us the previous night).

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #2601
They want a noisy bloody war, and quickly, to draw attention away from and excuse everything else they want to get done. "Support Are Troops!" signs and yellow ribbons on every damn light pole, and if you aren't along for that noise, heads will be broken in the streets.

I think I may have seen this in the U!S!A! before, a while ago.

"Ah didn' mahnd killin them little yella bastards, but they shoot back." - drunk deserter from Texas, at a Quaker run draft dodgers' clearing house, Halifax, October, 1969.

• el jefe
Reply #2602
it's looking like devos will be confirmed, with vp pence breaking a 50-50 tie.  no additional republicans beyond collins and murkowski have defected.  all the others the democrats thought might be gettable have come out in support of devos.  the cloture vote, which now only requires a simple majority, is tomorrow morning.  the confirmation vote itself is expected early next week.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/317672-devos-poised-to-take-step-toward-trump-cabinet

there are indications McConnell gave murkowski and collins permission to vote against devos.  if so, their defections were false hope.  McConnell had a solid whip count and knew there would not be any further losses to sink the nominee.

he reportedly scrambled to make sure her vote was before sessions', to avoid sessions' confirmation removing him from the senate and dropping the devos votes to 49, but it looks like he succeeded in getting the schedule he needed.

• Faid
Reply #2603
The man wants to start a war to boost his ratings. Unbelievable.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #2604
So let's see if that whole "waiver on a case-by-case basis" is not complete BS:

http://www.wcvb.com/article/attorney-iranian-infant-needs-visa-waiver-for-heart-surgery/8671264

That is the perfect opportunity they can utilize to show that they mean what they claim. Accepting the application and swiftly offering a waiver will make them look consistent and compassionate to their flock: "See, we told you we would examine every case" and "see, we actually care about sick children and such".

If they deny the request, or delay it, it means that they don't even care about keeping up with their act anymore, or care about pretending to care. Which is even more frightening, if that's even possible.
  • Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:45:58 AM by Faid
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• linus
Reply #2605
The man wants to start a war to boost his ratings. Unbelievable.
For anyone else this is an easy issue, but Lindsey Graham, Bill Kristol, David Frum et al. are going to be really conflicted about opposing Trump vs. salivating over war with Iran.

• linus
Reply #2606
Kellyanne Conway blames refugees for 'Bowling Green massacre' that never happened

And just for comparison:
5. Headlines are more important than reality, especially while first impressions are forming.

During recent protests by Russian truck drivers, Russia's transport minister staged a meeting with counterfeit truckers before the media.  They also seem to have invented Syrian opposition leaders with whom they held negotiations.

It did not matter that the "humanitarian aide" convoys to Eastern Ukraine were eventually revealed to the whole world as ammunition resupplies.  For two weeks coverage of the war focused on Russia's "humanitarian aide."

First impressions are known to be extremely sticky.  They persist even after subsequent evidence is conclusive.  Consequently, Russian propaganda seems to fight hard for the first impression and then relent.
http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/nine-lessons-of-russian-propaganda

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #2607
The BGM really did occur, but ESPN was the only network brave enough to cover it.

Reply #2608
I figured they were referring to the Great Corvette Massacre of 2014

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/12/corvette-museum-sinkhole/5417171/

Here I thought it was just a routine sinkhole in an area full of them, but it must have been those Muslim Terrorists!!

Pretty surreal that their two major events to justify the Muslim Ban so far are

1) A Canadian Trump supporter murdering 5 Muslims at a mosque
2) A thing that didn't happen

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #2609
Pretty surreal that their two major events to justify the Muslim Ban so far are

1) A Canadian Trump supporter murdering 5 Muslims at a mosque
2) A thing that didn't happen
Don't forget "Obama did it first".

eta:  Interesting Times.

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #2610
Someone registered www.BowlingGreenMassacre.com
and redirected it to the ACLU.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #2611
That's actually not a bad band name.

eta:  Lots of good stuff at #BowlingGreenMassacre
  • Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:05:02 AM by SkepticTank

Reply #2612
KaC is blaming the Bowling Green Massacre story on an unnamed liberal fake news story.

Reply #2613
"I'm too dumb to tell fake news from reality!" is actually the whole real concern with fake news before the Trumpist idiots started calling everything they don't like "FAKE NEWS!"

It's a perverse form of being proud of being duped.

• el jefe
Reply #2614
"I'm too dumb to tell fake news from reality!" is actually the whole real concern with fake news before the Trumpist idiots started calling everything they don't like "FAKE NEWS!"

It's a perverse form of being proud of being duped.
I'd say any form of being proud of being duped is perverse

• Faid
Reply #2615
KaC is blaming the Bowling Green Massacre story on an unnamed liberal fake news story.
Wait what? I thought she just said that she meant "Bowling Green terrorists".

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #2617
literally crony kleptocracy

Reply #2618
Of all the mind-boggling things about the Trump election, one that I don't think gets talked about enough is that a nation just barely recovering from a large recession caused in large part by the greed of under-regulated capitalists decided to elect as its president a greedy capitalist. Did it not cross their minds at all that people like him were exactly how we got in this mess, and that putting one of them in charge was essentially asking for it to happen again?

Reply #2619
People sometimes remark to me on the mildly extreme anti authoritarian stances I tend to take. They say that if my ideal world existed nothing would get done. I say, and?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #2620
Of all the mind-boggling things about the Trump election, one that I don't think gets talked about enough is that a nation just barely recovering from a large recession caused in large part by the greed of under-regulated capitalists decided to elect as its president a greedy capitalist. Did it not cross their minds at all that people like him were exactly how we got in this mess, and that putting one of them in charge was essentially asking for it to happen again?

No, it didn't.

Based on what I saw from my in-laws before they unfriended me, lots of his supporters think that Trump is "for the people" and that he would use his business knowledge to make Wall Street work for the little guy.

People are fucking stupid.

eta on the plus (?) side, with each passing day of new horrors, I see my empathy for the white working class, rural people, etc. drop even lower. I'm all out of fucks to give for people who want to burn everything down. Fuck them.
  • Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 10:41:42 AM by meepmeep

Reply #2621

I don't think the Great Recession was painful enough. TPTB did too good a job softening the blow.

Reply #2622
That's the legacy of Obama. :whyyou:
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #2623
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/02/03/trump-to-sign-executive-order-calling-for-rollback-of-wall-street-reform/?utm_term=.7588ee2fe490

Draining that fucking swamp! :woop:

I, too, recall 2008 fondly. A time of great benevolence from the financial industry, and it truly showed their grand wisdom. Privatizing gains and socializing losses is A Good Thing.

Reply #2624
It's not mind-boggling. White people think the system is falling apart and the strategy is to grab as much as possible before it's gone.

Of course they'll vote for someone they think will make it easiest for them to grab shit and make it harder for other groups to do the same.