Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: How is this place even a forum?

Topic: The Fourth Estate (Read 2574 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Fourth Estate
Reply #50
Their editorial staff also pressured reporters in several meetings this year for being "too hard" on Trump because they've actually done some decent reporting this year. Their editorial pages have been shit forever and got substantially worse once Murdoch took over, but it looks like they're trying to shift the whole operation into Fox News print-edition.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #51

• uncool
Reply #52
Widespread protests are going on in Iran, with the people objecting to the regime getting involved in foreign affairs hile ignoring domestic policy (from what I've read).

Currently spreading claim on right-twitter is that CNN is ignoring it entirely.

The most-informed version I've seen:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #53
WaPo is getting rid of its free subscription for people with .edu email addresses, so I don't know if I'm going to actually buy it to keep my access. It fucking pisses me off that they're getting rid of free subscriptions for students but keeping free subscriptions for anyone with a .gov email address. So my FIL making 6 figures at a federal agency gets a free subscription, but lazy worthless students living off student loans at 6% interest need to pay up because DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #54
I think you're forgetting that academia and big government are all part of the same conspiracy

also, incognito mode

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #55
also, incognito mode

^^ works great on tablets and smart phones.  For laptop, uBlock Origin takes care of WaPo and an abundance of unwanted ads on other sites, particularly Facebook. (I think it's actually uBlock beta that swatted the most recent reappearance of facebook ads.)

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #56
Also those cocksuckers used my photos in an article back in 2009 and never paid me for it. I was a broke graduate student then.

Now I'm a broke professional student living off student loans, and they want me to give them money. They can go fuck themselves.

Reply #57
Paying for the Washington Post means giving money to torture enthusiast Marc Thiessen as well as absolute shitheads Hugh Hewitt and Ed Rogers

• uncool
Reply #58

Caveat:
We did not include in this ranking websites associated with TV networks or radio shows (Fox News, Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, etc.) and we also excluded websites related to daily print newspapers (New York Post, Wall Street Journal, Washington Times, etc.) because we wanted to focus solely on web-based content.

Reply #59

Caveat:
We did not include in this ranking websites associated with TV networks or radio shows (Fox News, Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, etc.) and we also excluded websites related to daily print newspapers (New York Post, Wall Street Journal, Washington Times, etc.) because we wanted to focus solely on web-based content.
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-long-con

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #60
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/367156-trump-says-hell-give-dishonest-and-corrupt-media-awards-next-week

If the media didn't legitimize him as a threat to their well being with every tweet he makes about them, this would be laughable.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #62
Pro-Erdogan hackers have broken into Greta Van Susteren and Eric Bolling's Twitter accounts:

And they're directly messaging Trump because this is quite literally the dumbest timeline possible:

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #63
This is bizarre and hilarious.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #64
Seems like a good thread for this.

OK so the idea that most news media are heavily left-biased has been circulating among conservative types for decades.  At least since Watergate.

But now we have something new.  The increasingly common accusation is no longer one of mere bias.  It's now about deliberate fraud.

This shift, in the conservative attitude towards journalism, is a big deal, IMO.  It raises two questions:

(1) How did the shift in attitude come about?

It seems to come primarily from The Donald.  As soon as he started whining about "fake news", whammo!  Conservatives all over decided that there was no longer even an attempt at journalistic integrity anywhere (except within their own alternative-facts bubble).  Now it's not surprising that the mindless MAGAbots would follow him in this regard.  What's more remarkable is that conservative folks who appear to be more thoughtful in other respects have gone down the same rabbit hole.

(2) How (according to those who buy the "fake news" mythology) did the alleged shift in journalistic practices come about?

This is something the conservatives ought to be talking about.  As far as I can see, they haven't even tried to construct a plausible narrative to explain how and why most journalists suddenly decided en masse that their job had nothing to do with reporting truly and everything to do with trying to bring down good people like Trump.

And that's weird.

Discuss.

• uncool
Reply #65

OK so the idea that most news media are heavily left-biased has been circulating among conservative types for decades.  At least since Watergate.

But now we have something new.  The increasingly common accusation is no longer one of mere bias.  It's now about deliberate fraud.

This shift, in the conservative attitude towards journalism, is a big deal, IMO.  It raises two questions:

It seems to come primarily from The Donald.  As soon as he started whining about "fake news", whammo!  Conservatives all over decided that there was no longer even an attempt at journalistic integrity anywhere (except within their own alternative-facts bubble).  Now it's not surprising that the mindless MAGAbots would follow him in this regard.  What's more remarkable is that conservative folks who appear to be more thoughtful in other respects have gone down the same rabbit hole.
It definitely didn't originate there. Part of why people repeatedly link gamergate to Trump is that gamergate is where that narrative first became widespread enough to be visible.

(2) How (according to those who buy the "fake news" mythology) did the alleged shift in journalistic practices come about?

This is something the conservatives ought to be talking about.  As far as I can see, they haven't even tried to construct a plausible narrative to explain how and why most journalists suddenly decided en masse that their job had nothing to do with reporting truly and everything to do with trying to bring down good people like Trump.

And that's weird.

Discuss.

I think you're seeing the narrative incorrectly here. The narrative may have come about recently, but the narrative itself is that it's been like that for a long, long time.

Reply #66

Reply #67
the forgotten Americans~

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #68
Beginning to guess why they got forgotten.

Okay that's probably not fair.

Reply #69

It definitely didn't originate there. Part of why people repeatedly link gamergate to Trump is that gamergate is where that narrative first became widespread enough to be visible.

And that's weird.

Discuss.

I think you're seeing the narrative incorrectly here. The narrative may have come about recently, but the narrative itself is that it's been like that for a long, long time.

"The people on TV don't know how it is and they're lyin to us" has been part of rural and suburban white discourse as long as I can remember. None of it is new. What is new is that it has organized and gained media share. Gamergate was just the trial run of that organization.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #70

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #71
Hmmm.  I hadn't noticed anyone linking gamergate to Trump.  But then, I never really paid much attention to gamergate.

Your statement is surprising, though.  I thought gamergate was too limited in scope to bring out the "fake news" narrative.
Quote from: uncool
Hmmm.  OK, I know this is merely anecdotal, but the last time I came across the narrative, it was expressed with an explicit "now", as in "journalists have now completely abandoned any semblance of credibility or 'journalistic integrity'" (exact quote).  I was left with the same impression from the previous time I encountered it as well.

Reply #72
some lady wrote a book exploring the links

Kill All Normies
Online culture wars from 4chan and Tumblr to Trump and the alt-right
How internet subcultures are conquering the mainstream, from from 4chan and Tumblr to Trump and the alt-right.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #73
It's okay, he didn't actually mean any of it:

Reply #74
Really looking forward to "for the lulz" as a defense in court.