Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: 4/5 board policy hobbyists agree.

Topic: Thylacine in Queensland? (Read 963 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: Thylacine in Queensland?
Reply #50
Could all be more of your attempting to obscure the existence of your secret thylacine ranch.

• Faid
Reply #51
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #52
And if you think the news is old, bear in mind that it's the exact same date as the OP of this fucking thread
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• gib
  • Global Moderator
Reply #53
I agree with MSG., these photos are clearly spirit images of thylacines that lived on the mainland thousands of years ago.
Quote from: Jerome
As liquid urine is denser than the atmosphere, why yes. The urine stream from Putin's penis splashing on Trump's sphincter is easily described with buoyancy, no need for the magical force that no one can explain what it is.

• MSG
Reply #54
Could all be more of your attempting to obscure the existence of your secret thylacine ranch.
It could be;  we can't totally rule that out
braying among the ruins

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #55
You can remember hearing about that in 1938?  Do you remember sitting around the radio and listening to FDR's fireside chats too?
I can remember when the coelacanth, extinct for 65 MILLION YEARS was found.

65 million years.  There was no doubt at all it was extinct, and had been for 65 million years.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #56
Another important discovery made from the genome sequencing, is that the coelacanths are still evolving today (but at a relatively slow rate). This contradicts the earlier thought that these creatures were "living fossils." What this means is that they were thought to be a prehistoric species that has remained unchanged over millions of years. With the discovery of their evolution, "living fossil" no longer seems like an appropriate term to describe these unique creatures.[34]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth

Modern coelacanths (there are two: Latimeria chalumnae and Latimeria menadoensis) are not unchanged from the species found as fossils.

On 23 December 1938, the first Latimeria specimen was found off the east coast of South Africa, off the Chalumna River (now Tyolomnqa).[6][14] Museum curator Marjorie Courtenay-Latimer discovered the fish among the catch of a local angler, Captain Hendrick Goosen.[6][14] A Rhodes University ichthyologist, J. L. B. Smith, confirmed the fish's importance with a famous cable: "MOST IMPORTANT PRESERVE SKELETON AND GILLS = FISH DESCRIBED".[6][14]
I'm finding it hard to believe you "remember when the coelacanth, extinct for 65 MILLION YEARS was found".

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #57
L. menadoensis was "discovered" in 1999
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #58
L. menadoensis was "discovered" in 1999

To be fair, coelacanth is any member of Coelacanthiformes so, sensu stricto, the coelacanth was discovered to be extant in 1938 with the discovery of a living L. chalumnae.  You remembering learning about the discovery of a second extant species in 1999 is not remembering the discovery of living "coelacanths" in modern times.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #59
Back on topic, just finished the remarkably bad movie about this, The Hunter.

Spoiler alert, he kills the last remaining tiger.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• MSG
Reply #60
  • Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:54:43 AM by MSG
braying among the ruins

• MSG
Reply #61
braying among the ruins