Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Wading helps.

Topic: Thread for self righteous men (Read 6834 times) previous topic - next topic

• Pingu
Re: Thread for self righteous men
Reply #1100
Lol! I was trying to figure if those were imaginary cliffs or distant buildings. It was one of the things that made me homesick in the Netherlands, the eternal flatness of the landscape, in spite of the fact that it is otherwise a very beautiful country. I managed to spend a few days at a friend's cottage in Friesland, and the long views across the fields and little canals there were lovely, iconic. And once I bicycled from Haarlem to Leiden, and saw more little tree-shaded yards full of free-ranging fancy chickens than I'd thought possible in a short distance.
it is country perfectly suited for bicycling.
Fun fact: I don't own a bicycle.
Also, apparently, there is more to the story because the Swiss cycle a lot.
So do the Swedes in Stockholm  and it's both hilly and shitty weather most of the year.

Swiss soldier:

I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• Pingu
Reply #1101
The Velotruppe:

Reply #1102
So I read up a little bit on Holland... 16000 square miles... 17 million people... And you say 4 million cows. 250 cows per square mile. Okay.
Been doing it for quite a while now too.
based on these numbers my guess would be that on average there is certainly no more than 2 acres of pasture available per cow.  Unless they have "180 cow day" pasture in Holland, then that means they're using a bunch of supplemental feed (or they are using holistic management which I doubt). By comparison, our pasture in my area is about 90 cow day under conventional management and about 180 under holistic management.
  • Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:36:55 AM by Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #1103
based on these numbers my guess would be ...
*snore*
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #1104
So I read up a little bit on Holland... 16000 square miles... 17 million people... And you say 4 million cows. 250 cows per square mile. Okay.
based on these numbers my guess would be that on average there is certainly no more than 2 acres of pasture available per cow.  Unless they have "180 cow day" pasture in Holland, then that means they're using a bunch of supplemental feed (or they are using holistic management which I doubt). By comparison, our pasture in my area is about 90 cow day under conventional management and about 180 under holistic management.
So, digging deeper, turns out, 4 million is all cattle. Dairy cows is 1.7 million.
Apparently there was a goal for a maximum of 2.5 cows per hectare, because phosphates. Most dairy farmers are below that.
There is a system where farmers have to keep an accounting of phosphates, which is a complicated royal pain in the arse, easy to get wrong and comes with steep fines. The secretary of agriculture somewhat recently had to explain why farmers cannot have a nice and simple system of maximum 2 cows per hectare, instead of the poop accounting system.
So, dairy farmers think 2 cows per hectare is something they could live with as a maximum. That would be 520 cows per square mile.

But only 65% of dairy cows are pastured.

I give up.

• Pingu
Reply #1105
So, digging deeper, turns out, 4 million is all cattle. Dairy cows is 1.7 million.
Apparently there was a goal for a maximum of 2.5 cows per hectare, because phosphates. Most dairy farmers are below that.
There is a system where farmers have to keep an accounting of phosphates, which is a complicated royal pain in the arse, easy to get wrong and comes with steep fines. The secretary of agriculture somewhat recently had to explain why farmers cannot have a nice and simple system of maximum 2 cows per hectare, instead of the poop accounting system.
So, dairy farmers think 2 cows per hectare is something they could live with as a maximum. That would be 520 cows per square mile.

I give up.

Dave will tell you how to improve moisture retention of Dutch pasture using HMG

:rofl::rofl:...............................................:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:..................................:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:.....................:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:........:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:........:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:.....................:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:..................................:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:...............:rofl::rofl:..............:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Reply #1106

I give up.

Ok very interesting.

Reply #1107
Also I think I am doing a service to humanity by warning people about blind guides like you.
well that's pretty delusional since every single reader of your words here seems to think Pingu is a pretty good scientist, that you suck at it, and that you are a complete asshole into the bargain.
So truth is determined by majorities?
No. But opinions of majorities correlate with truth more than opinions of minorities.
There are notable exceptions.
They are notable because they are exceptions.
To me the interesting observation is to note how many huge examples there are of majorities being wrong.  One of my pet topics is Agriculture.  My observation is that the majority of people all over the world now think of "farmin'" as giant John Deere tractors and plows and discs and planters and cultivators and sprayers and combines and trucks and grain bins and trains to transport the grain and so on .... And this majority is oblivious to the fact that this whole "farmin" paradigm is destroying topsoil and has already created massive deserts in various parts of the earth and will continue to create more deserts if not stopped.  By the way I love your avatar ... that movie is one of my favorites ever.
Is it worth pointing out that nothing in this post even rises to the level of a claim that any majority is wrong about anything, let alone a demonstration of it?

(Probably not.)

• Zombies!
  • We're in the pipe, five by five.
Dirty Dave operates a haunted petting zoo of DEATH~~~~~
Reply #1108
My criticism was that you don't read as well as you think you do. And that seems to be correct in light of your comment here...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dave?  You continually get busted posting articles that don't mean what you thing they do!
You back yourself into a corner, like the supplementary feed needed by dairy goats, and what do you do?
You stagger in and post a passage that's three font sizes larger, which talks about the dietary needs of hair sheep.

Less than a few hours after Pingu carefully explained, multiple times, why dairy goats need extra protein.

I wonder often where you would find yourself in a standard reading test?  Sixth or seventh grade?

She's wrong.  And I have personally proven she's wrong with my own dairy goat operation.  She sucks at science.  She's arrogant.  She's a sophisticated liar.  You should quit looking to her for guidance.  She's a blind guide.  She should be fired from her post at her university.  She probably got the post in the first place for reasons other than being good at real science.
Dave, have you apologized?  This was shitty, even for you. :stuckup:
Quote from: Dave Hawkins on Sat May 19 2018
Go fuck yourself until you can learn how to respect me. Then we'll talk. And if this offends you and you don't want to participate in this thread anymore, then fine. There's plenty of other science threads to participate in.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #1109
My criticism was that you don't read as well as you think you do. And that seems to be correct in light of your comment here...
Dave?  You continually get busted posting articles that don't mean what you thing they do!
You back yourself into a corner, like the supplementary feed needed by dairy goats, and what do you do?
You stagger in and post a passage that's three font sizes larger, which talks about the dietary needs of hair sheep.

Less than a few hours after Pingu carefully explained, multiple times, why dairy goats need extra protein.

I wonder often where you would find yourself in a standard reading test?  Sixth or seventh grade?

She's wrong.  And I have personally proven she's wrong with my own dairy goat operation.  She sucks at science.  She's arrogant.  She's a sophisticated liar.  You should quit looking to her for guidance.  She's a blind guide.  She should be fired from her post at her university.  She probably got the post in the first place for reasons other than being good at real science.
Not really. Yes, it was shitty, but not out of character for Bluffy. At least not the real Bluffy.  Usually he at least tries to keep up the masquerade he's nominally decent, but at his core, he's just another asshole.
Are we there yet?

• RickB
Reply #1110

Not really. Yes, it was shitty, but not out of character for Bluffy. At least not the real Bluffy.  Usually he at least tries to keep up the masquerade he's nominally decent, but at his core, he's just another asshole.

This daughter that Dave keeps talking about is adopted, right?  So, no first cousins like issues?

Just asking about possibilities, not accusing.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #1111
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #1112
'It put an end to my childhood': the hidden scandal of US child marriage
Hey!
Change that boo-hoo to a woo-hoo!
We don't want enslaving governments dictating what local, traditional, cultures can and cannot do!
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #1113
"Dave will tell you how to improve moisture retention of Dutch pasture using HMG"

In areas with plenty of moisture, the focus is not about increasing moisture retention ... it's all about increasing grass productivity.

Reply #1114
increasing grass productivity sounds like a great idea, blaze it 420

• RickB
Reply #1115
"Dave will tell you how to improve moisture retention of Dutch pasture using HMG"

In areas with plenty of moisture, the focus is not about increasing moisture retention ... it's all about increasing grass productivity.

In all cases it is about bullshit, although interestingly Dave does not do bulls.
How does one sustainably  raise bulls, Dave?