Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: ninja'ed!

Topic: SpaceX Iridium Launch (Read 273 times) previous topic - next topic

• RickB
SpaceX Iridium Launch
I was really surprised that there are no threads here about the SpaceX Iridium launch in California.

I found the images of the expanding exhaust plume and shock wave quite startling and fascinating.

Maybe even the most amazing science video that I have seen in a while.

• RickB
Re: SpaceX Iridium Launch
Reply #1

• RickB
Reply #2
The launch itself was nothing special, well other than visually (don't think that such a visual experience has ever before been witnessed).

And the visual experience was amazing.

SpaceX Or UFO

• Zombies!
  • We're in the pipe, five by five.
Reply #3
I vaguely remember this system described as a death sentence for radio telescopes, all in the name of blanketing the planet with sat phone coverage, true?
Quote from: Dave Hawkins on Sat May 19 2018
Go fuck yourself until you can learn how to respect me. Then we'll talk. And if this offends you and you don't want to participate in this thread anymore, then fine. There's plenty of other science threads to participate in.

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #4
The launch itself was nothing special, well other than visually (don't think that such a visual experience has ever before been witnessed).

And the visual experience was amazing.

SpaceX Or UFO

Fake news. HAARP is ionizing the skies. Musk isn't even real. Get woke.

• RickB
Reply #5
I vaguely remember this system described as a death sentence for radio telescopes, all in the name of blanketing the planet with sat phone coverage, true?

Sorry for the delay in response.
Thanks for pointing that out, I did not know that the Iridium satellites interfered with radio astronomy, so had to spend some time looking into it.  Not sure about a death sentence, but it seems to interfere with the significant detection of OH.  Apparently even Iridium-Next does not fix the problem. 

Reply #6
How many lives has detection of OH saved, compared to satellite phones?  :colbert:

Yeah, thought so.  :911:

• Zombies!
  • We're in the pipe, five by five.
Reply #7
How many lives has detection of OH saved, compared to satellite phones?  :colbert:

Yeah, thought so.  :911:
You mean, how can detection of OH be monetized, compared to satellite phones?
Quote from: Dave Hawkins on Sat May 19 2018
Go fuck yourself until you can learn how to respect me. Then we'll talk. And if this offends you and you don't want to participate in this thread anymore, then fine. There's plenty of other science threads to participate in.