Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: We let almost anyone in

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 211393 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #39800
No! Not more Kool-Aid! TR members have drunk enough already!

Says the < 10K year old Earth and talking snake guy who lives in the woods and shits in a bucket.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #39801
Try to make your IKYABWAIs st least minimally creative Hawkins.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Zombies!
  • These violent delights have violent ends.
Reply #39802
No! Not more Kool-Aid! TR members have drunk enough already!
It appears Dave skimmed a book on humor. :unsure:
I really should call your department head and tell him or her how badly you are behaving while posing as a credentialed professional scientist.

Reply #39803
OK I'll work on it.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #39804
OK I'll work on it.

Also try to make them fit the circumstances and the recipients. The 'drink the koolade' meme comes directly from yet another fanatical, science-denying Christian fundamentalist cult.  Your YEC-ism is a perfect example of that blind adherence to religion that led to that phrase being coined.

Reply #39805
Well no. Darwinism is a much better example.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #39806

Allan Savory, Mark Shepard, James Shapiro....

You just never get tired of stepping on that rake, do you?

"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #39807

Allan Savory, Mark Shepard, James Shapiro....

You just never get tired of stepping on that rake, do you?

I picture Bluffy having an ARPD (Automatic Rake Placing Device). It precedes him, making sure there is a rake for every step he takes.
Are we there yet?

• Faid
Reply #39808
OK I'll work on it.
Sigh.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #39809
I guess you were never that fond of 'lots of work'.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Peez
Reply #39810
If you are referring to the theory of evolution, perhaps you should visit this thread you badgered from[/ur].

Peez

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #39811
I guess you were never that fond of 'lots of work'.
Any work at all.
Are we there yet?

• Zombies!
  • These violent delights have violent ends.
Reply #39812
Dave, when a single tree falls it doesn't clear a saw the 300ft wide and a mile long.  You're not proposing to clear a little false here and there at the kind of rate you'd expect to be happening in the forest anyway. You wanted to "thin the canopy by 50%". All those animals attracted to light gaps by the abundance of food? Normally they live in the canopy. Remove half of it and you destroy their habitat.
Is opening up some "light gaps" comparable to those described in the article the same as thinning the entire rainforest canopy to 50%?  No I don't think so.  I stopped talking about the 50% thing when I saw too many heads exploding.  We can talk about that again later once you've gotten your heads around "light gaps."
Well there is a bit of difference between 40 acre light gaps and 400 m2 light gaps. 
And when you expand that to 20,000 400 m2 there might be some impact, even on 1 million acres.
Time to talk about thinning the entire rainforest canopy to 50%?  because I got some questions.
I really should call your department head and tell him or her how badly you are behaving while posing as a credentialed professional scientist.

Reply #39813
Nah ... let's start small. Let's only cut enough trees out of the rainforest immediately surrounding this small 200 member Village in southern Guyana in order to set up an animal food production system that provides let's say 80% of their food calories. Milk, meat, eggs. If an average villager consumes 800000 calories per year then that's 160 million per year for the whole village. 80% of that is 128 million food calories per year.

Reply #39814
Could we achieve this on one square mile? 640 acres? Well that would be about 200,000 food calories per acre. Yes I think that's doable.

Reply #39815
Just to put this in perspective... Their entire Conservation District is about 2300 square miles and we're talking about experimenting on ONE square mile to provide all the animal food product needs for the village.   keep in mind that this will remove a significant amount of hunting pressure from the other 2299 Acres. I do not know the number of Acres required in a Hunting Preserve to supply 128 million food calories. I suspect it's a very large area.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #39816
Just to put this in perspective... Their entire Conservation District is about 2300 square miles and we're talking about experimenting on ONE square mile to provide all the animal food product needs for the village.   keep in mind that this will remove a significant amount of hunting pressure from the other 2299 Acres. I do not know the number of Acres required in a Hunting Preserve to supply 128 million food calories. I suspect it's a very large area.
What we are really talking about is some wild ass plan by an internet crackpot with little to no education, training and little to some actual experience in a related venture who has little to no data to support his claims and he thinks the people controlling that Preserve (and though it's deeded to the Wai Wai, I'd be very suprised if that Deed doesn't have some very serious restrictions as to what the Wai Wai can do with it. My guess that would include not allowing them to allow the above mentioned internet crackpot talk them into cutting down and clearing a square mile of pristine jungle so he can conduct an experiment. All with little to no supporting data. Just his word on it and his best highly biased opinions.

BTW, check your units.
Are we there yet?

• Fenrir
Reply #39817
Here's a better plan. Talk the Wai Wai into allocating some of their existing cleared area. You shouldn't need much or a long time to show the power of your super plan, seeing as it's so super right? Then they will be knocking your door down (or blanket or whatever) wanting more right?
It's what plants crave.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #39818
Milk
Have you ever known any adult WaiWai for whom milk formed any substantial* part of their diet?

* (or indeed any at all)

• nesb
Reply #39819
Where are they going to get the goats or cattle or whatever? That seems like an important consideration.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #39820
Milk
Have you ever known any adult WaiWai for whom milk formed any substantial* part of their diet?

* (or indeed any at all)
Quote from: Dave Hawkins

I'll take that as a "no".

Reply #39821
Where are they going to get the goats or cattle or whatever? That seems like an important consideration.
Fly them in from Africa.  Invasive species ya know!

• nesb
Reply #39822
Fly them in from Africa.  Invasive species ya know!

No. Where's the money going to come from?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #39823
Lol Dave's church will pony up the cash of course. Missionary fervour and all.

• Faid
Reply #39824
Question- What percentage of all those calories will come from milk?