Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: Outliving frenemy sites since 2008.

Topic: I missed this when it happened (re trans rights in Canada) (Read 236 times) previous topic - next topic

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
I missed this when it happened (re trans rights in Canada)
So C-16 (2016) became law in June of 2017.  It seems pretty straightforward at first glance:  adding gender expression and identity to the protected categories under the Canadian Human Rights Act.  So you can't pick on people for (e.g.) being trans.  My gut reaction here is some combination of "of course" and "bloody well about time".

But to hear conservatives complain about it, they claim that it's an attack on freedom of speech -- that it's all about dictating which pronouns people are allowed to use in referring to someone.

I looked over the bill and didn't see anything about language at all, let alone anything in particular about pronouns.

So is this complaint just a typical conservative lie?  Or is there a grain of truth in it somewhere?

Re: I missed this when it happened (re trans rights in Canada)
Reply #1
You really have to ask?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• uncool
Reply #2
The person most forcefully arguing this is probably Jordan Peterson, a professor at University of Toronto.

Not necessarily the best, but probably the person you should focus on if you want to figure out the political dynamics.

Reply #3
I looked over the bill and didn't see anything about language at all, let alone anything in particular about pronouns.
OMG, I've been so busy trying to work out what I think about gender pronouns and free speech ... and then trying to deal with Jordan Peterson's vast repertoire of garbage ... it didn't occur to me to check whether even this point was true. I've been giving him that one! I'm starting to suspect JP might have been hired by, you know, THEM.