Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TR: A harassment hub that is about to be kicked off the Internet for violating laws in Michigan, Arizona, and New York

Topic: Neandertals, Denisovans and ? ? ?  (Read 219 times) previous topic - next topic

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Neandertals, Denisovans and ? ? ?
DNA data offer evidence of unknown extinct human relative
People from Melanesia, a region in the South Pacific encompassing Papua New Guinea and surrounding islands, may carry genetic evidence of a previously unknown extinct hominid species, Ryan Bohlender reported October 20 at the annual meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics. That species is probably not Neandertal or Denisovan, but a different, related hominid group, said Bohlender, a statistical geneticist at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. "We're missing a population or we're misunderstanding something about the relationships," he said.
meeting presentation abstract
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• F X
  • The one and only
Re: Neandertals, Denisovans and ? ? ?
Reply #1
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Re: Neandertals, Denisovans and ? ? ?
Reply #2
This is pretty exciting to me.  We may find that like Denisovan genes and Neandertal genes, the genes of this hypothetical species are more widely dispersed than initially thought.  I kinda hope so.  Diversity is a very thin cultural layer over humanity's overwhelming relatedness.