Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: How is this place even a forum?

Topic: The Trump Kompromat Fact: Whereby we discuss the realness of the piss tape (Read 36961 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: The Trump Kompromat Fact: Whereby we discuss the realness of the piss tape
Reply #2875
I think it was more just that he was a Democrat. They did the same thing with Clinton. I feel like hating the president just because he's a member of the other party really became a thing during the Clinton years.

ETA: And that it was started almost single-handedly by Rush Limbaugh.
yeah, I think it is normal now in American politics for the opposition to get deranged about the president.  I think there are clear parallels between how republicans reacted to clinton and obama, and how liberals reacted to bush and trump.  (this is NOT to say these presidents are at all similar...  ).  to paraphrase Charles Krauthammer's original definition of bush derangement syndrome: "the onset of acute paranoia, in otherwise normal people, in response to the politics, the policies - nay - the very existence of ______ <insert president of other party>"

the three diagnostic criteria I've developed:
1) can't hear the person's name without getting mad
2) willing to believe any negative claim about them, no matter how unlikely or nonsensical
3) comparisons to hitler

I think the rise of partisan entertainment is a/the major driver of this hyperpartisan thinking, though I think the causal mechanism is more of a feedback loop than a 1-way arrow.  and yeah, I'd agree that Rush Limbaugh almost singlehandedly invented partisan entertainment.

I think opposition derangement syndrome did start during clinton, but it was a weak, early form of it.  I don't remember anyone comparing him to hitler, e.g.  and, while I think trump derangement syndrome does exist, I think it is much harder to tease apart from just reasonable assessments of a disastrous president.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #2876
He was a garbage monster who launched a war based on lies that has killed hundreds of thousands, instituted a global torture regime, and oversaw the biggest economic collapse in nearly a century. Any Democrats who find him "likable" are morons who are easily shifted by the "overton window"
I wouldn't say he started the iraq war based on lies, I'd say he started it based on a guess that turned out to be wrong.  though that on its own is pretty terrible, unacceptably reckless, the cause of thousands of needless deaths, enough to rank him among the worst presidents, and a grave enough fuckup that he should have been impeached as soon as we realized he had been wrong (and certainly not re-elected!!!!!!!).  (but of course fox news brazenly lied to their audience about the wmd's, not only shielding bush from consequences, but actually getting conservatives mad at the mainstream media for the "lie" that we didn't find the wmd's. ....... )

he also screwed up with iran, by randomly putting them on the "axis of evil" at a time when their people and government had both been moderating and asking for detente with us.  in response to that gesture, the country collectively said "ok, fuck you" and elected akhmedinejad.

I don't blame him for the financial crisis.  I simply don't think there's a clear cause and effect between it and any of his policies.  though I don't mind that he got blamed for it, because he dodged blame for things he was responsible for like iraqi wmd's.  .......    my major economic point against him is that he believed the best thing to do with the hard-won budget surpluses was to piss them away on a giant tax cut for rich people.  to this day I cannot believe he had the nerve to even propose that let alone actually fucking do it.

he also did a lot to feed the cult of ignorance, which, with the help of Sarah Palin, probably moved the overton window in a way that facilitated trump's rise.

and, oh yeah, he waged a war on due process and the Geneva convention.  little things like that.

----

on those points among others, he was a disaster of a president, and, to the extent democrats are forgetting all that, they are idiots like you say

---

all that said, I think there was some room for legitimate rehabilitation of bush among the left.  I think there really was such a thing as bush derangement syndrome.  I'm talking about the hitler comparisons, conspiracy theories about the diebold voting machines, "9/11 was an inside job!", that Cheney tricked him into invading iraq so his stock options would go up, etc.

to the extent what's going on here consists of people realizing they had BDS and are moving away from it, i think that is a positive thing.
You don't blame him for the financial crisis?
nope

I blame the federal reserve for creating the housing bubble in the first placd by holding interest rates too low, too long; deregulation of the financial sector in the 90s; and wall street for screwing around with derivatives that were too complex for the market to price efficiently.

edit: and the bond rating agencies for fraudulently rating everything AAA+++ × INFINITY!!!
  • Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:05:14 AM by el jefe

Reply #2877
Fair enough.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ksen
Reply #2878
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/05/carter-page-nunes-memo-393054

Former foreign policy adviser for the Trump campaign Carter Page says he's never spoken to Trump in his life.

Reply #2879
Dude is kind of amazing
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Faid
Reply #2880
"Trump who? Oh that guy. He's President now?"
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• uncool
Reply #2881
Ahahahaha this is a joke of a government.

Reply #2882
we call that "dictatorship"

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2883
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/373445-top-doj-official-who-quit-feared-being-asked-to-oversee-russia-probe

Rachel Brand may or may not have quit because she was afraid she'd wind up in charge of the Mueller investigation.

And Rosenstein may or may not have told her he thought he was going to be fired.

Reply #2884
that makes her a coward imo

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2885
I guess it depends on if there's any truth to the story.

Reply #2886
maybe she was really just craving that employee discounted walmart health plan that covers things like "not ending up eating a polonium sandwich" and "making sure your car doesn't spontaneously combust"

• linus
Reply #2887

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #2888
Goddamn who wrote that thread title? It should clearly be "wherein" not "whereby"

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #2889
Goddamn who wrote that thread title? It should clearly be "wherein" not "whereby"

the fancypants lawyer who uses such words in fancypants legal things

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #2890
gah didn't notice Kompromat has also been declared "fact" and it is no doubt in light of the fact the piss tape is real (ptir) that all else flows.

I withdraw my criticism.

:pisstape:

Reply #2891
The title was selected for maximum credibility.

Reply #2892
Based on the hearings today, I think we may be seeing the piss tape leak soon.....

• Pingu
Reply #2893

Ah.  Thanks.

Except that now it's going to annoy me instead of puzzle me.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #2894
Based on the hearings today, I think we may be seeing the piss tape leak soon.....

But will it make Trump's ratings go up or down? :D
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #2895

But will it make Trump's ratings go up or down? :D
That's a sucker's bet. Pun fully intended.

Re: The Trump Kompromat Fact: Wherein we discuss the realness of the piss tape
Reply #2896
Now why did someone have to go and ruin a good thing.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Re: The Trump Kompromat Fact: Wherein we discuss the realness of the piss tape
Reply #2897
WHO CHANGED IT

Last Edit: Today at 01:15:39 PM by Brother Daniel

:whyyou:

:reign:

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #2898
thinking of changing it to "Wherefore" or "Whereupon"

• linus
Reply #2899
Assange chat transcripts + commentary that tries hard to be charitable.
https://theintercept.com/2018/02/14/julian-assange-wikileaks-election-clinton-trump/