Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: No value for lack of feathers (Read 11213 times) previous topic - next topic

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Re: No value for lack of feathers
Reply #3825
The hindlimb wings provided extra lift to help in the transition from pterosaur to basal Euparaves.
It is not easy to fly. It needs all the help it can get. Including hindlimb wings and a transition from skin membrane to feathers.
Funny how pterosaurs were doing just fine for millions of years before realizing they "needed" all those things, and contacting the Quantum Plenum engineers.
Hey, if you find out about the diddling sticks and what they can do, why should you shun them?
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #3826
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oviraptoridae
Almost all oviraptorids come from desert deposits of the Gobi Desert. Even in the late Cretaceous period, much of this area was desert, or at least very dry, habitat. In many of the localities where they are found, oviraptorids are among the most abundant dinosaurs present, second only to ankylosaurs and protoceratopsids.
Odd that there is a claim of 35 million years of unfound oviraptorids. Are people starting to see something strange?
Starting to see? 
Are you kidding us?
We've been noting how strange you are for years now.
Are we there yet?

• socrates1
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3827
Almost all oviraptorids come from desert deposits of the Gobi Desert. Even in the late Cretaceous period, much of this area was desert, or at least very dry, habitat. In many of the localities where they are found, oviraptorids are among the most abundant dinosaurs present, second only to ankylosaurs and protoceratopsids.
Odd that there is a claim of 35 million years of unfound oviraptorids. Are people starting to see something strange?
Anyone care to admit that there is something strange about that claim?

So nobody.
Why even pretend to support the dino to bird theory?
  • Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:48:01 AM by socrates1

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3828
Indeed. No need to pretend.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3829
BTW, there were 3050 million years of unfound therizinosaurs as well. Until we found some of them.

Surprisingly, the "dino to bird theory" did not collapse in the meantime. Go figure.

Then again, it didn't have a brave B&B owner to face in the assault against it that time...
  • Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:30:27 PM by Faid
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #3830
Well, there's nothing particularly strange about the fact that the play-pretend "Professor" is wibbling on about some purported "claim" while blandly, obtusely, ignoring the fact that he has failed to identify any such claim.
All in a days work for the play-pretend "Professor"
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• socrates1
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3831

So nobody.
And more of the same:
Odd that there is a claim of 25 million years of unfound ornithomimids
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornithomimosauria
The sheer abundance of ornithomimids -- they are the most common small dinosaurs in North America -- is consistent with the idea that they were plant eaters, as herbivores usually outnumber carnivores in an ecosystem. However, they may have been omnivores that ate both plants and small animal prey.

Reply #3832
Fossilization is rare. What's the issue?

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3833
I forget- Does "Dr. Pterosaur" consider onnithomimosaurs "secondarily-flightless Paraves" these days? He's changed his mind on that so many times I've lost track.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3834
Another fun fact: Before 2000, we had nearly 70 million years of unfound or undescribed ornithomimosaurs.

Again, the "dino to bird theory" fared just fine during that period. Who'd have thunk it?

• socrates1
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3835

So nobody.
And more of the same:
The sheer abundance of ornithomimids -- they are the most common small dinosaurs in North America -- is consistent with the idea that they were plant eaters, as herbivores usually outnumber carnivores in an ecosystem. However, they may have been omnivores that ate both plants and small animal prey.
Everyone probably realizes that the dino to bird folks hold on to these ghost lineages of tens of millions of years because they do not want to accept the more straightforward explanation that they are secondarily flightless members of Euparaves.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3836
BTW, there were 3050 million years of unfound therizinosaurs as well. Until we found some of them.

Surprisingly, the "dino to bird theory" did not collapse in the meantime. Go figure.

Then again, it didn't have a brave B&B owner to face in the assault against it that time...
Another fun fact: Before 2000, we had nearly 70 million years of unfound or undescribed ornithomimosaurs.

Again, the "dino to bird theory" fared just fine during that period. Who'd have thunk it?
Worth repeating.

But everyone realizes that playing those pointless date games is all "socrates" is left with.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #3837
Still no purported "claims" even articulated, let alone supported with reference, link or copy-pasted relevant material.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3838

Worth repeating.

But everyone realizes that playing those pointless date games is all "socrates" is left with.
And yet another fun fact: Before the late nineties, the "ghost lineage" for oviraptorosaurs was about 90 million years.

Why do these ghosts keep geting smaller? Odd.

• socrates1
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3839

So nobody.
And more of the same:
Everyone probably realizes that the dino to bird folks hold on to these ghost lineages of tens of millions of years because they do not want to accept the more straightforward explanation that they are secondarily flightless members of Euparaves.
We have seen that the support indices (jackknife, bootstrap) show a huge polytomy including most everything including oviraptors and ornithomimosaurs. So cladistic analysis actually gives no reason to purport these ghost lineages of tens of millions of years.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3840
:facepalm:

• socrates1
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3841

So nobody.
And more of the same:
We have seen that the support indices (jackknife, bootstrap) show a huge polytomy including most everything including oviraptors and ornithomimosaurs. So cladistic analysis actually gives no reason to purport these ghost lineages of tens of millions of years.
So why should the dino to bird folks care if the oviraptorids and the ornithomimosaurs are actually secondarily flightless Euparaves?

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3842
No one "cares". It's just that they are not.

If they were, they wouldn't show up in a polytomy with Paraves you dumbo.

• socrates1
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3843

So nobody.
And more of the same:
So why should the dino to bird folks care if the oviraptorids and the ornithomimosaurs are actually secondarily flightless Euparaves?
They care because if you take them as secondarily flightless members of Euparaves the dino to bird theory simply collapses.

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #3844

[SNIP, SNIP, SNIPPITY SNIP USELESS SELF INDULGENT SELF QUOTING]

They care because if you take them as secondarily flightless members of Euparaves the dino to bird theory simply collapses.

By that logic, given the theory hasn't collapsed, it follows the oviraptorids and ornithomimosaurs are not secondarily flightless Euparaves.

You lose, sucky.
Again.
Are we there yet?

• Doobie Keebler
  • Needs a Life
  • Ridiculous Callipygous

Reply #3845
Fun Fact: Field mice are secondarily flightless bats.     :parrot:

"You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things. But nobody talks about that."

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3846
Really? Says who?

• socrates1
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3847

So nobody.
And more of the same:
Perhaps someone could describe the dino to bird theory taking oviraptorids and ornithomimosaurs as secondarily flightless.
If anyone is interested, please do.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3848
With the premise of secondary flightless oviraptorids? Sure:

Birds evolved within theropod dinosaurs. Some of those birds became secondarily flightless.

For more info ask Gregory S. Paul.

Anything else?

• socrates1
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3849

Perhaps someone could describe the dino to bird theory taking oviraptorids and ornithomimosaurs as secondarily flightless.
If anyone is interested, please do.

Anyone? What would the transition be from real dinosaurs (eg. basal Tyrannoraptora) to basal Euparaves?
  • Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:37:41 AM by socrates1