Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Poll to be added in a moment

Topic: Whatcha playing'? (Read 1519 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Whatcha playing'?
Reply #200
I was close:  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/136955/hands-sea

It's a card game, though, so not really a war game.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #201
Recently got into D&D (5th edition) with my daughters.  TG (age 10) thinks it's really cool.  Turns out she has some talent (more than I do, anyway) for DMing -- in particular, the "making shit up on the spot" part of it.

Reply #202
I'm not really a fan of 5th edition, although it's a huge improvement over 4th, which was an absolute travesty to play. I like 3.5, with some house rules. 

These days, I've converted all my stuff to Fantasy Hero, and my Traveller game to Hero system as well.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #203
I never touched 3rd or 3.5 or 4th.  (Just never got around to it.)  I played a very little bit of 2nd ed, but never really learned it properly.  So I can really only compare 5th ed to the old AD&D (1st ed), which I played a lot circa 1980-82.  And I'd say 5th ed is an improvement over that.  (Better reward-to-effort ratio.  The rules are simpler, but only because they're more internally consistent and cohesive, not because there's any narrowing of scope.  I can't think of anything of value that has been lost.)

Re 4th ed:  Yeah, I've heard others say that it sucked.  Just out of idle curiosity, what were the main problems with it, in your view?

Reply #204
actually 4th edition owned.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #205
Just dug this up from Zombie TR (a post from 2012):
Quote from: fleet-footed Urban Youth
4e has some pretty clear flaws but i love the hell out of it for creating such a masterfully intricate and balanced tactical combat system. that's also a flaw, because so much weight it put into that aspect of the game that it swallows up 90% of play time.

none of 4e's flaws have anything to do with being "tabletop WoW." the only things 4e has taken from MMOs are undeniable improvements, like mechanically solidifying character class roles to ensure balance and allow every player to have an impact. no classes overshadow others. there are no system mastery pitfalls. you will never be BMX bandit to the caster's angel summoner. "tabletop WoW" is the sort of thing you hear from bitter grognards :crai: ing into their neckbeards about how wi$$$ards of the co$t have betrayed them and gygax's ghost.

yo check it, 3.5 can be fun in its own way, and you can still play it! in fact, paizo has been kind enough to continue developing it under the name "pathfinder" and older editions are still around and have the support of their dedicated enthusiasts and their retroclones. sometimes i feel this mindset creep into my own thoughts when i worry if 5e is going to bring back all the unbalanced suck of older editions to lure its fans back, then i realize that this is as dumb as being attached to a gaming platform or a mobile phone maker because who the fuck cares when some company does, if i ever have the opportunity to play these fucking games again my group can still play 4e if we want

Reply #206
D&D was never about 'balanced classes', though. That's a big part of why a lot of old time (I've been playing D&D since before it was AD&D) hated it so much. Classes were reasonably balanced, but in a different way, in the previous (and now 5th) editions of D&D. They were balanced in the sense that early on, the fighters/warriors were the powerhouses of the party, and later, wizards tend to dominate...until they run out of spells.

4th made it play more like a MMO, with most abilities for wizards being available every encounter, but with no real game mechanic to explain (in an RP way) why that was. It made the RP aspect into tabletop WoW. And it turned combat into more of a boardgame (like fucking Advanced Squad leader, with a lot of bad 'gamey' elements that broke an unbalanced combat in worse ways than the older editions) in and of itself and really bogged down the whole game. Rp pretty much went out the window as players min/maxed even worse than they did with 3.5.

HERO takes the complexity and frontloads it. Characters can take a long time to create (but let's be real, it's not that much worse than most editions from 2nd D&D on), but everything becomes built around a rule framework that's internally consistent AND balanced because it's point based, and the HERO system has been around for a long time so the points really balance out well.

It's also a great system for playing Traveller (even better, IMO, than fantasy) or similar space opera type setting.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #207
fucking Advanced Squad Leader
I don't think I should admit how much $ I sank into that stuff...

• MikeS
Reply #208
fucking Advanced Squad Leader
I don't think I should admit how much $ I sank into that stuff...
I was first in line for all the original Squad Leader expansions, and also have some interesting add on scenarios (100s and 200s series, official sanctioned) along with quite a few game convention creation sets.  I started buying the ASL books and chits but it was taking too long to publish.  But I have all the originals arranged and seperated, I could break out a game if given the 2-4 hours prequal to read all the rules again.   :sadcheer:

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #209
I have SL + the 3 big expansions.  Also the ASL rule book + all 12 core modules and a handful of other sets (as well as several of the "ASL Annuals").  Way too much.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #210
I need some advice on a game that might work well for someone with failing mental faculties.

She's in her 80s and suffers from some memory loss, gets confused easily if she tries to do more than one thing at a time, and gets anxious about both issues.

She used to play pretty complex card games, but in recent years can't handle much besides skip bo.

Her handwriting is still beautiful and she goes through a daily spreadsheet (printed) to make sure she's taken all her medications and completed all her self-care.  Without the spreadsheet, she can't remember what's she's already done and what she still needs to do.

Anyway, I'm not sure that a board game or card game would actually be a good idea or if it would just stress her out, but I kinda want to try something simple and see how it goes.

2-6 players would be nice, though if she enjoys it, it would probably be 2-3 players most of the time.

Thoughts?

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #211
I asked my daughters.

TG first suggested Sleeping Queens.  Very simple, 99.9% luck-based, low stress.  There's a bit of simple arithmetic in it.  (Specifically, if you have cards in your hand with numbers on them, you can discard a bunch of them at a time if you can make an addition statement out of it.  E.g., you can dump a 2, a 3, an 8, and a 9, all together, because 2+9 = 3+8.)

Then she thought of Set.  That might not work if visual perception is a problem.  But at least it isn't taxing on the memory.  You have to be able to spot patterns in cards that have been laid out.  It could be good or bad, depending on the precise nature of the mental degradation.

I just thought of Incan Gold.  Very easy.  Essentially you're playing chicken against a bunch of cards.  Your decisions are all binary ones, of the nature of "should I stay or should I go".

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #212
Thanks!  I'll probably try at least one of these next month and will let you and TG know how it goes.

• MikeS
Reply #213
Thanks!  I'll probably try at least one of these next month and will let you and TG know how it goes.
Older card games like Cribbage, Hearts, Whist, etc. are challanging enough with 2-4 players.  Backgammon too.  An air force deployment always had a game of Hearts or Spades going wee into the morning.

Another excellent board game is Rummy Royal (or Tripolay), a combination of poker, hearts and michigan rummy for 3 to 6 players.  We play all the time on vacations.

• ksen
Reply #214
I'm still playing some Wolfenstein and I was wondering how hard do you think it would be to change Deathshead's name to "Richard Spencer"?

• ksen
Reply #215
I installed Playerunknown's Battleground last night so my son's friend could use my computer to play some matches.

After he left I gave it a try.  I'm not sure what all the hype is about yet.

• Faid
Reply #216
I suppose it's all about the multiplayer.

On the other hand, I tried The Long Dark yesterday (which is single-player sandbox) and got totally hooked. I think I'll buy it and find some time to play more.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• ffejrxx
Reply #217
Also, I was looking for tabletop space-themed 4X games, but most seemed too complex for me these days (not to mention expensive). I read, however, that the boardgame version of Space Empires (the old computer game series that ended ingloriously wth the spreadsheet nightmare that was SEV) is pretty good, and relatively cheap. I might give it a try as well, if I can convince the others to join me.
i have solarquest '87ver , lots of fun, similar to monopoly but with a few twists and lazer beans
we would play with red-hots, when shot the target player would have to eat a handful of them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarquest