Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: home of the A- community.

Topic: Do you think death is part of God's plan? (Read 401 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Do you think death is part of God's plan?
I answered the door before realizing who was there this morning.  A very nicely dressed black couple who very politely eased into the above question.

I answered that I didn't care to discuss religion with them, and they were polite enough to not press it too much.  He did ask "Is it because we're Jehovah's Witnesses?"  I hadn't even realized that, but gave them more or less the same answer. I guess in my racism I think all black religious people are either Baptists or evangelicals.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Re: Do you think death is part of God's plan?
Reply #1
I answered the door before realizing who was there this morning.  A very nicely dressed black couple who very politely eased into the above question.

I answered that I didn't care to discuss religion with them, and they were polite enough to not press it too much.  He did ask "Is it because we're Jehovah's Witnesses?"  I hadn't even realized that, but gave them more or less the same answer. I guess in my racism I think all black religious people are either Baptists or evangelicals.

My second wife and I used to answer the door naked, it was a split entry, so we could interview the folks at the door from the kitchen window and decide whether to put on a robe or something (and no, it was not a sexy moment for any of us). That pretty much put a stop to them after the first couple of months, they'd all just walk on by. Even when I'd stand out front and beg then to come in.
Are we there yet?

• Monad
Reply #2
I just invite them in to assist in the ritual sacrifice of a she-goat to Beelzebub

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #3
I just invite them in to assist in the ritual sacrifice of a she-goat to Beelzebub
Nothing compared to old fat people in the nude. Especially when one of them (hard to tell) is making toasted cheese sandwiches which are going to be offered to the guests.
Are we there yet?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #4
If I see them coming, I just ignore them.  But I was sort of expecting someone else, so I opened the door before I realized who it was.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #5
If I see them coming, I just ignore them. 
JWs or old fat nude people?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #6
If I see them coming, I just ignore them. 
JWs or old fat nude people?

Door-to-door proselytizers.

I'm an old fat (and occasionally nude) person, kind of hard to avoid myself.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #7
We don't have wandering door to door Baptists or Evangelicals. Just JWs and the rare young Mormons on their missionary year.

Because it's rural, the local JWs have to live with the community, so they aren't very persistent, and are easily led into talking about birds and boats and lakes and the like.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #8
Last few times I've had JWs at my door, they haven't even tried to get into a discussion, they've just given me a brief preamble and handed me some of their written material.  I generally tell them that realistically, there's very little chance that I'll read any of it, and it'll probably go straight into the recycling bin.  At that point, they thank me for my honesty and take the stuff back.  That's about it.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #9
Yeah, I always tell them not to waste it - I'm pretty sure a lot of it has to be printed in their little Hall. It's a problematic denomination, but I'd rather be nice to people that live in my community, costs nothing. 

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #10
We don't have wandering door to door Baptists or Evangelicals. Just JWs and the rare young Mormons on their missionary year.

We had Mormon kids back during my first marriage.  The ex let them in the house shortly before I got home. When I walked in and realized who it was I opened a beer.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #11
I once made one hold my high heeled shoes while I changed most of my clothes (went from work to airport and needed to look fancy when I exited the plane) in the airplane seat next to him. He was polite but seemed... perturbed.

• MikeS
Reply #12
I was in the airport with a friend when two Krishna's started pushing their book (The Bhagavad Gita) at us.  I nodded for a couple seconds to their talk and then just took the book and started walking off with my friend; they hadn't said anything about "payment" or "donation" until we were leaving.  I ignored them and continued walking to security where they had to abandon their quest to get $5 from me for the book.

I think I donated the book to Goodwill a couple years later.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #13
i think it was a jehovah's witness who gave me a pamplet with the most compelling apologetic I've ever heard.  first page says "you might be thinking that hell isn't real and you don't have to worry about it."  flip the page... you notice a bunch of cartoon flames all over the page, before you read the text...  "but hell IS real!  it is a real place, and you might go there if you live a life of sin!"  then, assuming they've got you hooked, they go into the specifics of their beliefs and ramble on for like 15 pages.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #14
That wouldn't be the JWs.  They don't believe in hell.

• MikeS
Reply #15
Mormons?

It's been a long time since I've had people pass out Chick Tracts.  The last time was early 2000s.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #16
I honestly don't know what the Mormons think about hell.  Starting out a presentation with something about hell doesn't seem like their style, though.  I'm guessing that this was some sort of fundagelical. 

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #17
Seconding Bro d. That's a fundagelical approach. They are very afraid of Hell and can't imagine it isn't a compelling argument.

Reply #18

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #19
ok, I don't remember what denomination they were.  it was a while ago.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #20
Another group came by recently and invited me to their some big event they're hosting. They awkwardly held a pamphlet out which I refused to take.  I politely declined their invitation and they moved on.