Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: *flounce*

Topic: War with N. Korea, is it inevitable? (Read 2333 times) previous topic - next topic

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Re: War with N. Korea, is it inevitable?
Reply #125
The important thing is to make sure you won't be in the area where people survive the initial blast, but live long enough to watch their, and their loved one's, skin fall off. That would be unpleasant.
It's the Cthulhu scenario. Get dead first so you don't have to watch your loved ones suffer,
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #126
Yep. That's how it works.

Actually, he would need to have the Secretary of Defense confirm the order. It the Secretary of Defense will not, the President can fire him or her and proceed.

However, I believe the subsequent repercussions would be fatal to a President that arbitrarily ordered a nuclear attack without very good reasons. I also tend to believe most military officers could rely upon their oath of commission:  "I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God." Which does not require absolute obedience to the President if they believed the President was acting against the Constitution. Taking the country into an unnecessary nuclear conflict would likely be considered acting against the Constitution.

Then again, it would depend on the officers that might be able to intervene. If they thought a nuclear attack was warranted, well, pop goes the weasel. Only hope then is it would be limited and other countries with nuclear capabilities, and there are enough, wouldn't figure we've lost it and nail us before they become our enemies as well.
Are we there yet?

• MikeB
Reply #127
We'll all go together when we goooooo! :cheer:
Suffused with an incandescent glowwww!

Reply #128
Folks,

China won't allow the US to start a war with NK.  All China has to do is threaten use of the dollar bomb and the kids will play nice.  :yes:

D.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #129
Folks,

China won't allow the US to start a war with NK.  All China has to do is threaten use of the dollar bomb and the kids will play nice.  :yes:

D.
Actually, they need us as much as we need them. Without us, they haven't anyone to sell their shit to and their economy falls to pieces.
Which is why they aren't going to let NK do anything really serious, like sending a nuke our way.
Are we there yet?

• MikeS
Reply #130
Folks,

D.
That might have been true in 2007.  But with the recent years of Quantitative Easing (i.e. printing money) we've shown that economic shortfalls can be overcome with more money.  China would maybe cause a 10% drop in the Dow, the drop in China would be far worse as their economy meets a brick wall and cannot overcome it.

Reply #131
Actually, they need us as much as we need them. Without us, they haven't anyone to sell their shit to and their economy falls to pieces.

RAFH,

I agree that creditors and debtors have a close relationship, until the debt is called in.

Regarding markets, The USA is not the only trading entity on the planet. Of course it has suited the Chinese for the US to get into deep hock, but there is plenty of trade around the globe. The failure of US economic warfare to destroy small countries such as Iran and North Korea is a case in point, although I would concede that they have had more success with Venezuela.

D.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #132

RAFH,

I agree that creditors and debtors have a close relationship, until the debt is called in.

Regarding markets, The USA is not the only trading entity on the planet. Of course it has suited the Chinese for the US to get into deep hock, but there is plenty of trade around the globe. The failure of US economic warfare to destroy small countries such as Iran and North Korea is a case in point, although I would concede that they have had more success with Venezuela.

D.

I get your point, but those instances are of insular totalitarian states that don't give a shit. And it's us depriving them of goods, not money. With the US and China, who else are they going to sell all their stuff to? We're nearly a fifth of their economy. Imagine suddenly losing 20% of your income, while the expenses are running on. What do they do when a fifth of their workers are laid off? It would be disastrous. Meanwhile, NK is of little use to them other than as a thorn in the side of the US. And potentially a major problem. Those missiles can go west just as easily as they can go west and the NK leadership is notorious for being unpredictable. It's like having a rabid pit bull for a pet. Yeah, it keeps the neighbors out of your yard but it might also eat your kids.
Are we there yet?

• nesb
Reply #133
Interest rates on US treasuries don't look that high to me. In August of this year, t-bonds were at 4%, where they were at 7% in August of 2007. If China stops buying them, that means 8% of the total US debt will have to be bought by someone else (since that's how much they hold), going forward, which could be the Fed, but I doubt it. Someone would snatch it up.
  • Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:28:51 PM by nesb

• linus
Reply #134

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #135
Kim to Trump: what're ya gonna do about it? Huh? Huh?
North Korea has fired a ballistic missile eastwards from its capital, Pyongyang, media reports say.
Japan said that the missile likely passed over its territory and has warned residents to take shelter, local media report.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• linus
Reply #136
The only solution is to have Dennis Rodman bring some of that poisoned Diet Coke to Kim.

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #137
The annihilation clock is ticking......
Rocket Man vs The Dotard
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #138
I would've liked to have seen Seoul.

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #139
Dotard J. Trump
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• linus
Reply #140
It's sad that two people who are so similar just can't be friends.
Some advisors now worry that the escalating war of words has pushed the impasse with North Korea into a new and dangerous phase that threatens to derail the months-long effort to squeeze Pyongyang's economy through sanctions to force Kim to the negotiating table.

A detailed CIA psychological profile of Kim, who is in his early 30s and took power in late 2011, assesses that Kim has a massive ego and reacts harshly and sometimes lethally to insults and perceived slights.

It also says that the dynastic leader -- Kim is the grandson of the communist country's founder, Kim Il Sung, and son of its next leader, Kim Jong Il -- views himself as inseparable from the North Korean state.

As predicted, Kim took Trump's jibes personally and especially chafed at the fact that Trump mocked him in front of 200 presidents, prime ministers, monarchs and diplomats at the U.N.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-fg-trump-northkorea-20170922-story.html

Speaking at a press briefing at the U.N. General Assembly on Friday, Lavrov likened the war of words between President Donald Trump and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un to "a kindergarten fight between children. And no one can stop them."
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/09/22/lavrov-on-trump-north-korea-we-have-to-calm-down-the-hotheads/

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #141
I'm planning on being in Japan next month.   :ohdear:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #142
Find the nearest bomb shelter.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #143
my sister in law is in South Korea and my brother is off to send a couple weeks there as of a few days from now.

fucking great.

Reply #144
There are worse ways to go.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #145
Depends how close you are to the blast.
Truth is out of style

Reply #146
they're going to be in the far southern tip of the peninsula, south of Guangju. Not in direct line of fire, thankfully.

• linus
Reply #147

• linus
Reply #148
From September 5, news reports that the mountain under the test site may collapse:
The single mountain under which North Korea most likely conducted its five most recent nuclear bomb tests, including the latest and most powerful on Sunday, could be at risk of collapsing, a Chinese scientist said.
Wang Naiyan, the former chairman of the China Nuclear Society and senior researcher on China's nuclear weapons program, said that if Wen's findings were reliable, there was a risk of a major environmental disaster.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/north-koreas-nuclear-test-site-at-risk-of-imploding-chinese-scientist-says.html

• linus
Reply #149
CTBTO leans toward this being a natural event.