Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: World Headquarters of the Universal Post-Atheist Church

Topic: We could use a guillotine sticky (Read 628 times) previous topic - next topic

We could use a guillotine sticky
Martin Shkreli convicted on 3 of 8 counts.

nytimes.com/2017/08/04/business/dealbook/martin-shkreli-guilty.html

Re: We could use a guillotine sticky
Reply #1
Can we draw and quarter instead?

Reply #2
Love the fact that his tweet ends with a MAGA. Classic.

Reply #4
https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/equifax-managers-dumped-stock/

Bloomberg gets an honorary guillotine for autoplay videos.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered

Reply #7
I'm at the very beginning still but I'd just like to point out that 6.00 bread is not something that I would use as my example for obscene spending.  I acknowledge that being whatever class label you want to give me is probably what allows me to not know what bread should cost like I'm some kind of Lucille Bluth.  

Reply #8
The part that I think is most frustrating about it all is that there's a reason they're buying $6 bread and hiding the labels. The reason is that $1 bread is shit. The "budget" versions of most items are utter shit and in large part you can only get them by spending a huge amount of time driving to a budget superstore at the edge of town, or else you're paying a markup to buy them at the corner store anyways.

The whole issue here is unfortunately that the cost of living in the US has become pretty high compared to the amount people around the world typically spend on those things, particularly items like food.

Reply #9
i like this focus on bread quality in the guillotine thread tbh

Reply #10
Same.

Reply #11
crossposted with PD. weak minds think alike

Reply #12

very french revolution indeed

Reply #13
But it is correct that 1.00 bread is garbage.  I don't think it is a "rich" thing (by U.S. standards) to not buy wonder bread.  Then throw in all the dumb gluten free, gmo labeling kind of shit and I don't think 6.00 is obscene.  A separate and more important issue is the fact that groceries are goddamn expensive and shitty middle class and rich people exacerbate that.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #14
I can't spend more than $4 on a loaf of bread and often just make my own. Of course it barely makes a difference because it's not like saving $2 on bread is going to make my tuition or rent suddenly bearable, but if all bread were $6, I wouldn't be buying it at all.

Reply #15
Anyway I will get back to reading the article now.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #16
"Do we want to live in such a fancy place? Do we want to deal with the person coming in and being like, 'Wow!' That wears on you. We're just not the type of people who wear it on our sleeve. We don't want that 'Wow.' "  His wife, whom I interviewed separately, was so uneasy with the fact that they lived in a penthouse that she had asked the post office to change their mailing address so that it would include the floor number instead of "PH," a term she found "elite and snobby."

My interviewees never talked about themselves as "rich" or "upper class," often preferring terms like "comfortable" or "fortunate." Some even identified as "middle class" or "in the middle," typically comparing themselves with the super-wealthy, who are especially prominent in New York City, rather than to those with less.

When I used the word "affluent" in an email to a stay-at-home mom with a $2.5 million household income, a house in the Hamptons and a child in private school, she almost canceled the interview, she told me later. Real affluence, she said, belonged to her friends who traveled on a private plane.

jesus fucking christ

Reply #17
I can't spend more than $4 on a loaf of bread and often just make my own. Of course it barely makes a difference because it's not like saving $2 on bread is going to make my tuition or rent suddenly bearable, but if all bread were $6, I wouldn't be buying it at all.

I think in isolation it would probably be fine.  That difference is kind of dwarfed by the combined cost of everything else.  But if you consider that as a scale-up that's applied to all groceries across the board it would be a huge.  What does a big baguette (French revolution full circle) typically cost?  I am thinking like 2.50-3.00.  The fact that I have to think about it betrays my privilege.

Reply #18
The fact that these people are embarrassed about their actual money and spending habits is pretty telling.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #19

I think in isolation it would probably be fine.  That difference is kind of dwarfed by the combined cost of everything else.  But if you consider that as a scale-up that's applied to all groceries across the board it would be a huge.  What does a big baguette (French revolution full circle) typically cost?  I am thinking like 2.50-3.00.  The fact that I have to think about it betrays my privilege.

Well, yeah, that's the thing. If you're willing to buy bread that's twice as expensive, you're probably buying all the other shit that's also twice as expensive. They're probably spending two months' worth of my grocery money in one week's worth of food.

The fact that these people are embarrassed about their actual money and spending habits is pretty telling.

Right, like if you're ashamed of the $6 price tag on the bread, how much are you actually paying your housekeeper whose feelings you're worried about? If it's embarrassing to be so rich, I think I can help them out with that. :v:

Reply #20

Reply #21
But it is correct that 1.00 bread is garbage.  I don't think it is a "rich" thing (by U.S. standards) to not buy wonder bread.  Then throw in all the dumb gluten free, gmo labeling kind of shit and I don't think 6.00 is obscene.  A separate and more important issue is the fact that groceries are goddamn expensive and shitty middle class and rich people exacerbate that.

Yeah. If you start comparing across the board it gets really shocking really fast. A loaf of bread in europe that is equivalent to one of those $4-6 loafs of bread in the US runs a euro or two. A piece of cheese that costs a euro or two in Italy or France will cost you $11-12 USD. Some of this is due to import costs, but not all of it it. Domestic produce is extremely expensive. Meat is a little cheaper, but even "staple" meats like ground beef and chicken have shot up in recent years.

The problem isn't that rich people spend too much on food. The issue is that the standards by which we judge what is enough money to live on have dropped so far that we're okay with families living off of easymac, ramen, and wonderbread.

Reply #22
I wonder how the book is.  http://press.princeton.edu/titles/11096.html

A university press book that costs less than $200? I don't believe it.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #23
Hey, when they aren't slicing assholes, they can be slicing bread.
Are we there yet?

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #24
They worried about how to raise children who would themselves be "good people" rather than entitled brats. The context of New York City, especially its private schools, heightened their fear that their kids would never encounter the "real world," or have "fluency outside the bubble," in the words of one inheritor. Another woman told me about a child she knew of whose father had taken the family on a $10,000 vacation; afterward the child had said, "It was great, but next time we fly private like everyone else."

Raise the death tax to 100%