Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• only on Tr could it be even slightly controversial for the admins to make such an unambiguously correct call ngod bless the republic, islam is the light

Topic: We could use a guillotine sticky (Read 561 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: We could use a guillotine sticky
Reply #25
i like this focus on bread quality in the guillotine thread tbh

READ THE BREAD BOOK

Reply #26

Reply #27
They worried about how to raise children who would themselves be "good people" rather than entitled brats. The context of New York City, especially its private schools, heightened their fear that their kids would never encounter the "real world," or have "fluency outside the bubble," in the words of one inheritor. Another woman told me about a child she knew of whose father had taken the family on a $10,000 vacation; afterward the child had said, "It was great, but next time we fly private like everyone else."

Raise the death tax to 100%

There are ways of getting around that, including setting up trusts for the children prior to death, by giving large portions of the estate to the children as gifts on paper in the years/decades prior to death, and so forth. These are taxable and taxed, but there are definitely ways for rich people to shuffle their money to their children and avoid a 100% death tax rate.

Realistically the issue here is that if these parents don't want to be raising their children in this super-affluent bubble, then they need to start living with less. If they're not happy that sending their kids to a super-wealthy private academy is giving their kids unrealistic expectations of what money is and what it does, then they need to send their kids to public schools and campaign for better public school funding across the board. If they don't like the way their kids treat their maids, then they should pay their maids better and discipline their kids, or else they should make their kids do chores around the house instead of being spoiled brats.

What I'm really seeing here is evidence that these jagoffs just have too much fucking money.

Reply #28
But it is correct that 1.00 bread is garbage.  I don't think it is a "rich" thing (by U.S. standards) to not buy wonder bread.  Then throw in all the dumb gluten free, gmo labeling kind of shit and I don't think 6.00 is obscene.  A separate and more important issue is the fact that groceries are goddamn expensive and shitty middle class and rich people exacerbate that.

Yeah. If you start comparing across the board it gets really shocking really fast. A loaf of bread in europe that is equivalent to one of those $4-6 loafs of bread in the US runs a euro or two. A piece of cheese that costs a euro or two in Italy or France will cost you $11-12 USD. Some of this is due to import costs, but not all of it it. Domestic produce is extremely expensive. Meat is a little cheaper, but even "staple" meats like ground beef and chicken have shot up in recent years.

The problem isn't that rich people spend too much on food. The issue is that the standards by which we judge what is enough money to live on have dropped so far that we're okay with families living off of easymac, ramen, and wonderbread.
I am in Dublin right now and I can tell you that we just spent a whole day doing shit, including seeing the book of kells, lunch for 3, topped off with a dinner for 2 and I had 3 drinks and my wife had 2 and I spent about 90 euros. If you had a day like tbis in portland, it would have been about 200. Shopping at the corner store for food to cook for breakfast for 3 for 2 days including ground coffee, 1/2 gallon milk, half pint of cream, 1.5 lbs bacon, 6 eggs, good bread, butter,  jam, a bag of oranges, a quart of oj, and deodorant cost 35 euros. But housing in the city is astronomical.  So is driving. So, I dunno.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #29
I would not be behind a much higher death tax until after we are a functioning democracy.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #31

I guess. And considering the consequences, even if some third would economy I totally control (at least for their purposes) wouldn't protect me, I have lots of files. Lots and lots of files. Yuge amounts of files.
Are we there yet?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #32

Yes, Pizza Hut provides a vital service to the community, just like trauma surgeons and firefighters and EMTs. Carry on, my brave friends!  :patriot:

Reply #33
labor organizers would be fucking morons to not go throughout florida and texas trying to get unions started with appeals to this very issue.

Reply #34

Reply #35
labor organizers would be fucking morons to not go throughout florida and texas trying to get unions started with appeals to this very issue.

Reply #36
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017/09/11/is-there-a-constitutional-right-to-cash-in-on-the-poor

A story that illustrates how local communities, especially in the South, are fighting back against predatory private probation practices, right? Sure. A story with a happy ending, right? Not yet. This past June, The Justice Network went to federal court in Arkansas and sued the two judges, the county, and the cities within it. The amnesty program, the company alleges, violates its civil rights under the Constitution because it interferes with the contractual relationship the company had with the indigent probationers of the county. The judges, the company claims, caused it to suffer economic loss by waiving those onerous fees, and caused it to lose its "property" in the form of income from those caught in its web of fees and fines.

Reply #37

• ffejrxx
Reply #38

Reply #39
daughter of well-known defense attorney, Tywin Quackenbush

Reply #40
She does not appear to grasp the TR-vetted concept of the warning shot.

• ffejrxx
Reply #41
nearly blind and hit him with one of the two shots, thats gotta count for something
  • Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:15:37 AM by ffejrxx

• MikeS
Reply #42
She was just following standard police tactics in a social disturbance situation.

Reply #43
She was just following standard police tactics in a social disturbance situation.
Shoot at poor people?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #44

Reply #45

Skippy PB?  What, is that the Nazi PB of choice?

Also,

THING AGAIN!!!

Master race my left tit.

Reply #46
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/motel-6-calling-ice-undocumented-guests-phoenix-immigration-lawyers-9683244

The front-desk clerk told him that he needed to show identification in order to reserve a room. Rodriguez-Juarez handed over the only thing he had -- a Mexican voter ID card.

Six hours later, he was lying on the bed, watching TV, when he heard a knock at the door.

He opened it. Three agents from Immigrations and Customs Enforcement were waiting for him.

• ksen
Reply #47
http://www.salon.com/2017/09/14/steve-mnuchin-requested-a-government-jet-for-honeymoon-report/

Is anybody really shocked that a wall street financier treats other people's money like his own piggy bank?

Mnuchin seems to have a thing for flying around on government planes.

• ksen
Reply #48
https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/9/20/16340168/google-memo-kkk-grand-wizard

James Damore, who experienced his 15 minutes of fame earlier this year when he wrote a memo for Google that was widely decried as sexist, also has some thoughts about the Ku Klux Klan and its job titles.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #49
You know you've moralized an issue when you can't criticize its heroes or acknowledge any positive aspect of its villains.

Ugh, why can't I point out how cool Hitler's mustache was?

It's like teaching your child to be responsible about drugs and sex without addressing the fact that they can be fun.

"Son, even though being in the KKK is fun, you have to do it responsibly."

If you make the actual KKK the only place where you can acknowledge the coolness of D&D terms, then you'll just push people into the KKK.

only white people play D&D, and making fun of them leaves them no outlet for wizard shit or fantasy stuff since none of that exists in popular mainstream culture, so you're really giving them no option but to become virulent white supremacists who think kikes and negroes and spics should be murdered

these 3 wouldn't be imperial wizards today if it weren't for the so called tolerant left