Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• I think as part of the "reboot" this place's name should be changed to "Talk and Talk and Talk and Talk More or Less Rationally".

Topic: RH Brown and Carbon 14 (Read 14295 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RH Brown and Carbon 14
Reply #3225
I don't think he actually does realize that.  Morton's demon is among the most powerful forces in the human universe.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #3226
I don't think he actually does realize that.  Morton's demon is among the most powerful forces in the human universe.
That may be, but it's not having to work very hard with Bluffy.
Are we there yet?

Reply #3227
That may be, but it's not having to work very hard with Bluffy.
I guess it depends how you look at it.

• Pingu
Reply #3228
It's interesting to try to get a handle on how Dave thinks science - specifically hypothesis-testing - works.

He doesn't really get the concept of model-fitting.  He seems to think you devise a curve, then try to find data that will somehow lie on it.

And if you can't find any, then think up a different curve. 

He can't seem to grok the idea that you can simply plot your actual data and derive the curve from the data - fit the curve to the data.

Dave's only recourse is to reject the data. 
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3229
Well hey, look at the basis of his worldview. How else can he proceed?
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3230
I mean I know he could proceed sanely and sensibly, in theory, but that simply doesn't apply. He's like a kamikaze pilot who will crash and burn rather than questioning his orthodoxy. It doesn't occur to him to just land the fucking plane. He's going to heaven in a blaze of glory and that's fucking that.
Truth is out of style

Reply #3231
It's interesting to try to get a handle on how Dave thinks science - specifically hypothesis-testing - works.

He doesn't really get the concept of model-fitting.  He seems to think you devise a curve, then try to find data that will somehow lie on it.

He can't seem to grok the idea that you can simply plot your actual data and derive the curve from the data - fit the curve to the data.

He's already admitted that he knows the plotted curves don't match his hypothesis but that since he knows there was a flood they must be wrong. Yeah. He's abandoned any pretense that there is any scientific basis to his story. He only wants the science to match to make the.dissonance hurt less, not because he wants evidence for his dumbass reading of the bible.

Reply #3232

Hahahahaha ... you are so broken.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #3233
no u
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #3234
Explanation for what?

And hold on. I thought it was YOU that was going to explain.
Ok. First, do you understand that Brown's curve or any similar curve based on any c14 concentration model at all makes testable predictions? And that those predictions are entirely independent of any actual measurements of c14 concentration in samples?
[Y]
[N]

I don't understand ANY curves very well ... and I think that data is often cherry picked by Old Earthers to support their own paradigm ...
Ok. You are saying
[NO], right? You do not understand what Brown's curve represents. Correct?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3235
Thread is going well.  :yes:
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
Reply #3236

but you can't say how
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #3237

but you can't say how
Because, as he already pointed out,  he doesn't understand the question.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #3238

but you can't say how
Bluffy is just shy.
By broken he means you're not like him.
Are we there yet?

Reply #3239
I'm surprised Dave isn't interested in the c14 curves issue, being all about truth and all.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #3240
I'm surprised Dave isn't interested in the c14 curves issue, being all about truth and all.
Yah, TRUTH MATTERS, ya know!!
Are we there yet?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3241
Absolute 100% fucking truth! Accept no substitutes!

And since it's only found in a literal reading of the Bible, everything else can be discarded as lies!

So there.

Nya.

:turtlebert:
Truth is out of style

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #3242
Absolute 100% fucking truth! Accept no substitutes!

And since it's only found in a literal reading of the Bible, everything else can be discarded as lies!

So there.

Nya.

:turtlebert:

Yep, 100%, not 95% truth and 15% lies, not 90% truth and 10% lies, 100% TRUTH!!
Are we there yet?

Reply #3243
Dave, it's pretty hard to keep pretending you have anything like an open mind regarding the question of whether there was a global flood 6000 years ago when you claim you don't understand the evidence refuting it but claim it doesn't matter because you are already sure there was such a flood. Just saying.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #3244
... you are already sure there was such a flood.
'cuzza, you know, those Elephants in the Room

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #3245
... you are already sure there was such a flood.
'cuzza, you know, those Elephants in the Room

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Actually, that's more evidence than he's ever presented.
Are we there yet?

Reply #3246
Anyways Dave,  I'm disappointed in you for not being actually concerned with truth when you go all soapbox about it. There's a reason fundamentalist Christians are so reviled by the rest of us. Your ethics are disturbing. You lie to yourselves and to those around you and want to tell other people what to believe based on only your assertions. Well, your assertions are retarded and your lies in their service would only be funny if they weren't so damaging to humanity.

Fundy Christians. Can't live with 'em, can't feed 'em to the lions anymore.

Reply #3247
Anyways Dave,  I'm disappointed in you for not being actually concerned with truth when you go all soapbox about it. There's a reason fundamentalist Christians are so reviled by the rest of us. Your ethics are disturbing. You lie to yourselves and to those around you and want to tell other people what to believe based on only your assertions. Well, your assertions are retarded and your lies in their service would only be funny if they weren't so damaging to humanity.

You're an idiot.  Of course I'm concerned with truth.  And one of the biggest truths around is ... there was a Global Flood.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #3248
Dave is in the usual "the shit just got kicked out of my latest apologist pal, again" mode.

The shameful Man-Child accusations of everyone else around him being dishonest, liars, fraudulent, and "broken" without the ability to explain or provide evidence for any of those dishonest accusations. Followed the the inevitable doubling down, the repeated unevidenced assertion or assertions that began it all.

The cycle continues. Year eleven.   :awgee:
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

Reply #3249

You're an idiot.  Of course I'm concerned with truth.  And one of the biggest truths around is ... there was a Global Flood.

I may be an idiot but that has nothing to do with the fact that you chose to respond to that post and not this one:
Dave, it's pretty hard to keep pretending you have anything like an open mind regarding the question of whether there was a global flood 6000 years ago when you claim you don't understand the evidence refuting it but claim it doesn't matter because you are already sure there was such a flood. Just saying.
If you gave even the tiniest toss about truth, you'd consider what these curves, and the mere existence of Brown's effort, means to your model and your understanding of science as a method and as a process. But you haven't, and I see no indication that you will. You are not committed to truth. You're committed to Truth(R). Aka lies or whatever it takes to believe what you were told to believe.

There is a reason scientists say you suck at science. It's because you suck at science.
  • Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:58:57 PM by Testy Calibrate