Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: the fools on this site pretend the dude with five telescopes is "a crazy old man."

Topic: ksen and Ty, please send us postcards (Read 220 times) previous topic - next topic

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered

Re: ksen and Ty, please send us postcards
Reply #1
tell me what the application of this emergency power act means. US troops garrisoned in houses?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #2
Wtf does that even mean? I overheard in passing something about trump wanting 1000 retired military pilots on call but I was busy and have no clue if that was related.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #3
I don't understand all the ramifications at all.

One thing this does is let the secretary of defense call up retired military, though.

Is that a better thing than it being Trump's decision?  I really don't know.

Reply #4
There's been a shortage of pilots for a while now.

What this could really screw over is both the pilots' families if they're forced to give up civilian pilot pay to go back into the military and also a lot of airlines instantly losing a sizeable number of their pilots.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #5
I can't believe they can call up retired military like that.  I know they can dick with the terms while you're in the service and make you stay longer than you agreed to, etc., but it seems insane that they could bring you back against your will after you're discharged.  they don't own you for the rest of your life.....  right?

• ffejrxx
Reply #6
the govt does continue to pay for their service after they retire, is that still considered working for the govt?

Reply #7
I can't believe they can call up retired military like that.  I know they can dick with the terms while you're in the service and make you stay longer than you agreed to, etc., but it seems insane that they could bring you back against your will after you're discharged.  they don't own you for the rest of your life.....  right?
Based on a cursory google search, this appears to be the fine print in the enlistment contract. Though acting on it seems pretty rare.

Reply #8
Maybe Dave can enlist!!!
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• ksen
Reply #9
This order is specifically talking about retired service members. I didn't retire and I don't think Ty did either. I just served out my initial enlistment period of 8 years (3 active and 5 inactive (which I actually spent in the National Guard)) and got out.

I can still send you a postcard though if you'd like. What do you need it to say?

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #10
Ksen is right.  This is for retirees who are still flying in some capacity, I believe.

When you sign an enlistment contract (which is different from receiving a commission, which is what all pilots in the modern US military have because all pilots are officers) they usually get you for a few years after your initial enlistment on what is called "inactive reserve."  So, I did my six years, got in 2005, and was on the hook for 2 more years of inactive reserve until 2007.  And back then, you might remember, guys were actually getting their enlistments extended and they were pissed about it.  But it was mostly for forward deployed operators in the Army/Marines. 

The Navy has always had more than enough people to man its ships -- over staffing is built into their logistics, because a ship can go down and theoretically kill up to 5,000 people in one swoop.   In other words, the Navy plans for huge, catastrophic losses. So most sailors don't get extended.

Reply #11
If ty and Ksen were smart, they'd just go catch a case of bone spurs

Reply #12