Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Pahu is robotic in his devotion to total nonsense.

Topic: corbyn won (Read 3854 times) previous topic - next topic

corbyn won
fucking EAT IT, feeble and stevefffffffffart

• Monad
Re: corbyn won
Reply #1
haha and a big fuckoff to Smith, the unprincipled git

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #2
The 80% that don't like him should form their own party.
Truth is out of style

Reply #3
it seems like britain is kinda opposite-america and that gives me hope.

we didn't nominate our left-populist candidate around the same time they made their big dumb fucking mistake (brexit). now, they have nominated (elected? knighted? dunno how things work in europe tbh) their left-populist candidate so hopefully we'll avert our big dumb fucking mistake (president trump).

• MSG
Reply #4
you need to make a distinction between populist and popular http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/12/jeremy-corbyns-labour-suffers-worst-opinion-poll-ratings-the-par/
Labour is trailing the Conservatives by an average of 11 points, in the worst result for a leader since modern polling began in the 1950s.
braying among the ruins

Reply #5
i don't need to do SHIT, b!tch

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #6
It's funny what's gong on over there. Then again the Poms have always been a bit bonkers.

I was just reading the latest at Teh Gurnard and one of the comments mentioned a recent poll:

The poll in the Indy, today, is very telling and damning.

Only 26% of working class voters think him competent, 36% incompetent. 46% think him unelectable.

Even amongst his supporters, over a third think him unelectable.

So, more of Labour's traditional voters think him incompetent that competent and even those who support him a significant proportion think him unelectable.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #7
i don't need to do SHIT, b!tch
Well actually you do. Gets nasty otherwise.
Truth is out of style

Reply #8
nothing about this makes any sense then. how did he win? what does it even mean?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #9
It means a minority of the electorate (ie: a majority of Labour party members) are in love with him, but most of the UK wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #10
he has the support of well-meaning slacktivists who can sign up for the party for a few pounds and vote him in as leader (it was widely reported there were a large number of these joiners after the last election). he doesn't have the support of the wider electorate, and he doesn't have the support of 80% of his parliamentary colleagues

in the short term, the latter point is the probably the biggest issue because under the Westminster system, without the support of his colleagues his position is basically untenable. which means that when the next election rolls round in 4 years, his party is likely to get wiped out in an election opposed to a divided rabble of right wing nut jobs. The left wing in Scotland has already deserted the Labour Party for the SNP. Os is right, the only option for the 80% is to split the party.

I am on the opposite side of the world and I can't believe the Labour supporters can't see where this is taking them.
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #11
The word is the Tories are ecstatic about this result, because they can see it means power for them for the next decade.
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #12
of course they are. especially after having castrated the lib dems with the power sharing arrangement in the previous parliament
braying among the ruins

Reply #13
I am on the opposite side of the world and I can't believe the Labour supporters can't see where this is taking them.

Yeah, the "we're basically tories but marginally less dickish" strategy was working out so well for them before.

• Pingu
Reply #14
It's a disaster.

I foresee a minimum of three consecutive Tory terms now, probably four.

• Pingu
Reply #15
The word is the Tories are ecstatic about this result, because they can see it means power for them for the next decade.

Yeah.

• MSG
Reply #16

Yeah, the "we're basically tories but marginally less dickish" strategy was working out so well for them before.
ideological purity is a fine strategy as long as you have no aspirations to actually being the government
braying among the ruins

Reply #17
It means a minority of the electorate (ie: a majority of Labour party members) are in love with him, but most of the UK wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

ok but you also just posted something saying that a majority of his supporters think he's bad. that's what doesn't make sense, otherwise "the party base loves him but the nation at large doesn't" is a familiar concept.

i also don't understand the significance of this when it comes to how shit will go down in parliament. as i understand it the PM is just the leader of whatever coalition has the most sitting legislators. so he doesn't actually have to "run for election" to the PM spot like a US presidential candidate.

Reply #18
in the short term, the latter point is the probably the biggest issue because under the Westminster system, without the support of his colleagues his position is basically untenable. which means that when the next election rolls round in 4 years, his party is likely to get wiped out in an election opposed to a divided rabble of right wing nut jobs. The left wing in Scotland has already deserted the Labour Party for the SNP. Os is right, the only option for the 80% is to split the party.

ah i see. welp he's got 4 years to turn this shit around then i guess, good luck buddy!

Reply #19
also yisss now the knives come out, i'm fucken ready for some good old fashioned british snarkfighting.

eta: it's kinda eerie just how much mainstream labour party members sound like mainstream democratic party members tho, like right down to complaining about more people joining the party to vote for this candidate, the same "just slightly better than the conservatives is necessary and ideological purity won't work" narrative. this is just an observation though because i don't understand your system enough to say whether this makes mainstream labour as lame and shit as mainstream democrats.
  • Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:55:05 AM by the idea of Harambe

Reply #20
Its the first-past-the-post system we have here that will fuck up Labour. JC might be massively popular in Tottenham or Islington, but there's only about 20 constituencies that actually matter, and you have to be marginally less shit than the tories to win there.
Why do I bother?

Reply #21
ideological purity is a fine strategy as long as you have no aspirations to actually being the government

Who said anything about ideological purity? The 2015 general election was Labour's to lose. The tories had tanked the economy with their idiotic pursuit of austerity, and they were fending off UKIP on the right, which put their internal divisions over Europe into play. So of course, Labour decided that their best approach was to agree with the tories that austerity was necessary, and immigration was a big problem. Instead of attacking where their opponent was weakest, they ceded the terms of debate, and in doing so left themselves with no way of offering a real alternative.

Note that this is the same strategy Owen Smith took, btw; positioning himself as near to Corbyn as he thought he could get away with. Didn't work for him either. So perhaps, instead of taking lessons on electability from the people who lost the last two general elections, and the last two leadership contests, it's time for the Opposition to try actually fucking opposing something for once.

• Pingu
Reply #22
I voted for Corbyn the first time.  But he turned out to be crap.

Voting a crap leader in again isn't going to help.

Reply #23
yeah. yeah!

Reply #24
hey yo what do the acronyms in red boxes mean: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtI795mXYAAFEK3.jpg:large