Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: I cant believe grown adults have to waste their time on this immensely stupid shit.

Topic: Rebuilding the Democrat Party (Read 7074 times) previous topic - next topic

• ksen
Rebuilding the Democrat Party
Thought we could use a thread devoted to discussing the latest news and ideas about the rebuilding of the Democrat party.

We haven't seen the Democrats this out of power since the 1920s.  After that we got FDR and generations of Democrat rule.

Hopefully we can get to the same place after this but skipping the whole Depression thing.

• ksen
Re: Rebuilding the Democrat Party
Reply #1
Schumer Under Pressure to Add Sanders to Leadership Team

Pressure is growing on Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) to back Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) as chairman of the Democratic Policy and Communications Center, a powerful position with influence over the party's messaging and floor strategy.

Not a bad idea to try and tap Bernie for help in rebuilding.
  • Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:41:11 AM by ksen

Reply #2

• MikeS
Reply #3
Step 1:  Kick the bums out.  Anyone holding leadership positions prior to this fiasco should resign and not run again.  Advisor, maybe; but leader, no.

Step 2:  Work grass roots.  Focus attention on the 2020 state houses since this is the path to gerrymander electoral districts for the future.  This past election dropped Democrat governors to below 20, disgraceful.

Step 3:  Obfuscate, delay, fillibuster and be downright nasty, especially in the Senate, to try and block any and all proposals put before the legislative bodies.  Openly speak out against lies, fabrications, etc.  Take 'em to court when needed.  Let the next 2 years of Republican control be as unproductive as the prior 4-6 years (if at all possible).

Step 4:  Protest, protest, protest.  A permanent camp in front of the White House could be interesting.

• ksen
Reply #4
nm, meant to hit edit

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #5
Ellison has gotten a lot of support, even prior to his declaring for it.

Howard Dean had a successful 50 state campaign program that was working prior to 2008 - the house had gone majority democrat.

I think he's too tainted for the purists - too close to the Clintons and became a lobbyist, but I'd like to see Ellison working with him to get the 50 state paradigm back in working order.

Reply #6
I think a big part of the problem is thinking on a partisan level like this.

Some of the things we really need to do should be bipartisan, but currently aren't, like election reform, anti-gerrymandering rules, etc. The system itself is all screwed up. Unfortunately, one party is really benefiting from that system, so they don't want to fix it.

• ksen
Reply #7
I think taking back the economic populism message that Trump hijacked would also be a good start.

Once the pain of losing wears off they should also maybe try and move away from characterizing everyone that didn't vote for them this cycle as racist reprobates.  I don't think you can apply that label to the millions of former Obama voters from 2008 and 2012 that voted for Trump in 2016.  The Democrat party used to be the party that watched out for the workers.  Since Bill Clinton brought Third Wayism into the Democrat party moved away from their natural base and left themselves wide open to being outflanked by someone like Trump.

Reply #8
I think taking back the economic populism message that Trump hijacked would also be a good start.

Once the pain of losing wears off they should also maybe try and move away from characterizing everyone that didn't vote for them this cycle as racist reprobates.  I don't think you can apply that label to the millions of former Obama voters from 2008 and 2012 that voted for Trump in 2016.  The Democrat party used to be the party that watched out for the workers.  Since Bill Clinton brought Third Wayism into the Democrat party moved away from their natural base and left themselves wide open to being outflanked by someone like Trump.
yeah. But something about power to the people has a level of states rights innuendo that lots of people find uncomfortable. Abortion is a amazingly effective issue for slicing off a quarter of the pie before you bring it to the table.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• MikeS
Reply #9

Howard Dean had a successful 50 state campaign program that was working prior to 2008 - the house had gone majority democrat.

I think he's too tainted for the purists - too close to the Clintons and became a lobbyist, but I'd like to see Ellison working with him to get the 50 state paradigm back in working order.
Dean made a good point that the DNC chair should be a full-time position and not held by an elected representative or governor who would have to treat the position as a part-time duty.

• ksen
Reply #10

yeah. But something about power to the people has a level of states rights innuendo that lots of people find uncomfortable. Abortion is a amazingly effective issue for slicing off a quarter of the pie before you bring it to the table.
Sure, but power to the people only has uncomfortable states rights innuendo when the republicans use it because that's what they mean.  The Democrats have never used it that way as far as I know.

• ksen
Reply #11

Dean made a good point that the DNC chair should be a full-time position and not held by an elected representative or governor who would have to treat the position as a part-time duty.
Dean's just saying that because just coincidentally he fits that bill.  I mean he might be right but it sounds a little too self-serving coming from him.  Like when Dick Cheney was put in charge of picking a VP candidate for W. and amazingly enough his committee decided that the most qualified candidate was Cheney himself.

I'd much rather have a part-time DNC chair that's managed to actually win an election instead of going back to the tired, old inside operatives that have led to the current electoral disaster the Democrats currently find themselves in.

Reply #12

Sure, but power to the people only has uncomfortable states rights innuendo when the republicans use it because that's what they mean.  The Democrats have never used it that way as far as I know.
true. But I guess I was thinking that you can't really go far down that road without landing there. That's not something I can or really want to support with convincing graphs and lists of, um, hard data or anything. It's just how it looks to me. Abortion is a really tough subject.

• MSG
Reply #13
Thought we could use a thread devoted to discussing the latest news and ideas about the rebuilding of the Democrat party.

We haven't seen the Democrats this out of power since the 1920s.  After that we got FDR and generations of Democrat rule.

Hopefully we can get to the same place after this but skipping the whole Depression thing.
Well sure, but we're still ok with the world war thing though, right?
braying among the ruins

• ksen
Reply #14
Of course.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #15
I think this fits here pretty well.  How to get your representatives' attention.

http://www.attn.com/stories/12768/former-congressional-staffer-explains-how-to-make-congressman-listen

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #16
All politics are local. Start jamming up school boards, state houses, governor's mansions. Take all the things back.

• Old Dan
Reply #17
Focus attention on the 2020 state houses
I keep seein folks talkin about 2020 elections. Aint we supposed to be talkin about 2018 midterms?

• MikeS
Reply #18
Focus attention on the 2020 state houses
I keep seein folks talkin about 2020 elections. Aint we supposed to be talkin about 2018 midterms?
The 2020 state houses get to redistrict the state and federal districts after the census.  A YYYUUUGGGEE power that the republicans have used over the past 30 years to get majorities in the federal house and other state governments.
Although sometimes the 2022 sitting government will get the honor, most of the time it's the government sitting on the decade year.

• Monad
Reply #19
Let it die

Reply #20
Let it die
Too passive, I say we dust off and nuke it from orbit....

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #21
Something to think about regarding how red the red states are, and how blue the blue states are.

There's more blue happening in the South than I was aware of, particularly in Alabama, which I've always considered a lost cause state.

This is why redistricting and un-gerrymandering could make such a difference in 2020 and beyond.

Here, America. Have some context. This is what you look like. Not that sea of red with little blue islands I've seen making the rounds. Not a checkered map of red and blue states.

There is not a state in this country that isn't purple.

I've spent the last two days going county by county through this week's election data. I've looked every county in this country in the face (except you, Alaska, because you are so huge that apparently the only data available is just you in all your enormous glory -- but hey, I used to live in you, and you're lovely and majestic).

Most people if you asked them would say that the "reddest" chunk of this country is the deep South. But look at Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina. You can see where the brightest pink is (there is no straight red on this map), and that's from the Texas panhandle up into the Dakotas. (Those blue dots you see in the Dakotas? Those are the Lakota and Standing Rock reservations.)

This country is divided like the grains of sand on the beach are divided. Sure, some might be remnants of shells and others of quartz and others of garnet and others of slate but good luck to anybody trying to claim one of those bits doesn't exist in any given handful.

Purple maps like this have been done before, but I wanted one for this year.

Context is important, America.

Here's some more:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/how-election-maps-lie/

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1000933210030046&set=a.133287786794597.21742.100003401290351

Reply #22
is that fake news?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #23
I don't think so?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #24
How do you prose to get redistricting done when the Repubs have the entire country wrapped up? And bearing in mind that your wonderful new AG is going to be all in favour of voter suppression laws being passed. You could well be stuck until 2030 or more.
Truth is out of style