Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Secular freethought community - pretentious, obnoxious, occasionally funny; now get lost.

Topic: Trumpocalypse (Read 81259 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpocalypse
Reply #8150
Afaics, every time Trump does/says anything remotely 'normal', your mainstream media jumps on it with great eagerness and pretty much heaps praise on the man. Same with anything remotely positive your government does. And I completely understand that, it's a desperate attempt to employ positive reinforcement in the hopes of encouraging more normality from the Trump administration.

I think this backfires with the majority of Americans who are low information voters even during elections and mostly tune out all politics between elections, because it bores them. They don't really notice anything different from the usual historically ordinary media back and forth on whether a government is performing well or not.

They won't understand how bad this government is until they personally find themselves suffering the consequences, and at that point it is usually too late.

Then there's shit like this: an appalling percentage of Republicans think it's a good idea to pre-emptively start a war with North Korea:

There was a pretty striking finding in Thursday's Quinnipiac University poll: Fully 46 percent of Republicans -- a plurality -- said they would support a preemptive strike against North Korea.
That's nearly half of President Trump's party that is ready for war -- today -- with Kim Jong Un, his nuclear weapons and all. (Forty-one percent said they opposed a preemptive strike.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/10/14/almost-half-of-republicans-want-war-with-north-korea-says-a-new-poll-is-it-the-trump-effect/?utm_term=.d873c8b0d35d

These are people who are either horrible people, or people who have no understanding whatsoever of the real human cost of war. I honestly find it difficult to believe there are that many people who can even superficially think like that.

It is a little bit of column A and a little of B.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #8151
Afaics, every time Trump does/says anything remotely 'normal', your mainstream media jumps on it with great eagerness and pretty much heaps praise on the man. Same with anything remotely positive your government does. And I completely understand that, it's a desperate attempt to employ positive reinforcement in the hopes of encouraging more normality from the Trump administration.

I think this backfires with the majority of Americans who are low information voters even during elections and mostly tune out all politics between elections, because it bores them. They don't really notice anything different from the usual historically ordinary media back and forth on whether a government is performing well or not.

They won't understand how bad this government is until they personally find themselves suffering the consequences, and at that point it is usually too late.

Then there's shit like this: an appalling percentage of Republicans think it's a good idea to pre-emptively start a war with North Korea:

There was a pretty striking finding in Thursday's Quinnipiac University poll: Fully 46 percent of Republicans -- a plurality -- said they would support a preemptive strike against North Korea.
That's nearly half of President Trump's party that is ready for war -- today -- with Kim Jong Un, his nuclear weapons and all. (Forty-one percent said they opposed a preemptive strike.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/10/14/almost-half-of-republicans-want-war-with-north-korea-says-a-new-poll-is-it-the-trump-effect/?utm_term=.d873c8b0d35d

These are people who are either horrible people, or people who have no understanding whatsoever of the real human cost of war. I honestly find it difficult to believe there are that many people who can even superficially think like that.
Well that cost will sink in real quick once the missiles start flying. And they won't necessarily all be US and NK missiles. It would be difficult for China and Russia to simply stand by after a preemptive strike by the US. And I doubt much of the rest of the world would stand by the US, with the possible exceptions of Japan and the UK.

And one missile gets through whatever defenses the US has, and there goes Honolulu, or Seattle or Portland or perhaps even SF or LA. The cost in human life would be staggering and the monetary loss would make the latest storm damage look like penny ante.
Are we there yet?

Reply #8152
you say that as if the people in charge aren't looking and saying "well, how can we kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible"

The decision-making process of the Republican Party and the Trump Administration makes a lot more sense if you accept that they're actively trying to kill people, including American citizens.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #8153
you say that as if the people in charge aren't looking and saying "well, how can we kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible"

The decision-making process of the Republican Party and the Trump Administration makes a lot more sense if you accept that they're actively trying to kill people, including American citizens.
There is that possibility.
Problem with nukes is they aren't very selective.
Are we there yet?

Reply #8154
anyway, if people cared more, the press would do more to emphasize how not normal this is.  though I realize it's a feedback loop, and people's apathy probably owes in part to shitty journalism.

I think it's more of the latter than people tend to assume. You can get the public to care about anything, like emails and Benghazi. Or in the 90's it was tort reform after that McDonald's coffee case. Why isn't everybody talking about tort reform anymore, did it get reformed and is all settled now?

You are giving them way too much credit. The primary motivation of the pundit class is to continue believing in their own magic explanatory powers, not to influence events for the good of the country.

Reply #8155
The primary motivation of the pundit class is to continue believing in their own magic explanatory powers,

Looks like Potter is trying to explain el jefe to himself.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #8156
my faith is unshakable

the only question is whether you choose to join us on the path of the righteous

• ksen
Reply #8157

Reply #8158
literally american taliban

• ksen
Reply #8159
Yep.

Might even be worse than the Taliban because at least the Taliban seems to know their own holy book. Dominionists have no frigging idea.

Even back in the prophets when the Hebrews were under Babylon, God never told the Hebrews to rise up and oust that awful Nebuchadnezzer from power. It's like the Dominionists read the Hebrew and Christian scriptures and take the exact opposite lesson from them than what was intended.

They really do disgust me.

Reply #8160
maybe they're more like american daesh then, in as much as i've heard daesh is more of a fundamentalist islam-themed LARP with real guns.

• el jefe
Reply #8161
surprise surprise, moore's brazenly hypocritical too*.  he started this nonprofit advocating christian causes or whatever, pledging not to get a salary from it and to put all the money toward the cause.  he even said on his tax returns that his salary from it was 0.  trouble is, he paid himself a salary of $180k/yr for several years.

*yes, on top of being a racist, dominionist fossil

also, this isn't just about hypocrisy.  he might go to prison.  possibly while a sitting senator.
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/354952-roy-moore-made-180k-per-year-from-charity-despite-claiming-he-received-no

eta: of course, guapo's odds are like 80% that trump would pardon him if and when he were convicted
  • Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:59:11 PM by el jefe

Reply #8162
whoa there let's not talk shit on fossils

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #8163

There is that possibility.
Problem with nukes is they aren't very selective.

As long as retaliatory nukes hit blue urban areas that's probably selective enough for Republicans who favor a preemptive strike.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #8164
You on fire yet, raven?

It seems to be pretty awful this year.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #8165
surprise surprise, moore's brazenly hypocritical too*.  he started this nonprofit advocating christian causes or whatever, pledging not to get a salary from it and to put all the money toward the cause.  he even said on his tax returns that his salary from it was 0.  trouble is, he paid himself a salary of $180k/yr for several years.

*yes, on top of being a racist, dominionist fossil

also, this isn't just about hypocrisy.  he might go to prison.  possibly while a sitting senator.
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/354952-roy-moore-made-180k-per-year-from-charity-despite-claiming-he-received-no

eta: of course, guapo's odds are like 80% that trump would pardon him if and when he were convicted

He's a massive piece of shit. There was a bipartisian effort in 2004 to remove blatantly racist, along with some stealth, language from the Alabama Constitution that mandated school segregation and allowed shit like Jim Crow poll taxes. For example, this entry which still remains ...

"Separate schools shall be provided for white and colored children, and no child of either race shall be permitted to attend a school of the other race."

It looked like the bill was going to breeze through the confirmation process until Moore, egged on by his Neo-Confederate buddies like Michael "League of the South" Peroutka and the Alabama Christian Coalition, got involved to fight against removing it.

The "argument" that actually worked to scuttle the bill?

That removing language that was added in 1956, in response to the federal legislation that ordered desegregation, that stated no Alabama resident had any right to be educated at the states expense would give the state free reign to raise taxes. To, you know, actually give it's citizens an education.

While the constitutional language was broad, local and state collecting of taxes were already how education was being funded at the time. However the real intent was to make sure there was no future legal basis to challenge the state and force them educate blacks at the expense of good and godly white folk. This is evident in the fact that it was a blatantly obvious ploy to deny the legal legitimacy of a system already in place with no plans or previous motivation to actually alter the education system, only provide future leverage to skirt those uppity negros (and negro lovers) who might have any delusion they had equal rights under the law.

Government on a local level could vote and decide to do so on their own ( lol good luck with that back then) but the state couldn't force any citizen or local government ( local governments were free to drop or modify any system that was already in place without repercussion)  nor could they be forced through the courts by bringing suit on a state level.

And that dear boys and girls is why Alabama's Constitution remains the bigoted monument to racism that it is.

Thanks Roy !   :happydance:

Roy Moore Led Charge Against Removing Segregation From Alabama Constitution

• Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:04:13 PM by Doobie Keebler
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Faid
Reply #8166
Hmmm.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/16/donald-trump-backs-mitch-mcconnell-in-abrupt-rever/
President Trump endorsed an intraparty revolt Monday aimed at ousting Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, but hours later stood beside the Kentucky Republican in the Rose Garden and said their relationship was "outstanding."

The abrupt turnaround was dizzying, even by Mr. Trump's standards.
I wonder what happened there.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• el jefe
Reply #8167
idk.  he also pulled a 180 on the bipartisan healthcare fix.  shortly after his executive order, he opposed it.  then he told people he wanted a bipartisan deal soon.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #8168
I think the most obvious explanation is he has no idea what he's doing.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• MikeS
Reply #8169

Trump responds to the latest whisper in his ear.  The magic is to get ANOTHER whisper in his ear before he impulsively takes action on the last whisper.

• ksen
Reply #8170
#kaospresidency

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #8171

Trump responds to the latest whisper in his ear.  The magic is to get ANOTHER whisper in his ear before he impulsively takes action on the last whisper.

And then get him to act before another whisper comes along.
Are we there yet?

• Faid
Reply #8172
idk.  he also pulled a 180 on the bipartisan healthcare fix.  shortly after his executive order, he opposed it.  then he told people he wanted a bipartisan deal soon.
I suppose that's part of his usual destructive-blackmail strategy: "Whoops, I keep blowing everything up and setting it on fire, such a shame, wouldn't it be great if we all came together and stopped things from being blown up and on fire? Think about it while I shoot this puppy".

But the McConnell thing is weirder IMO. Maybe Mitch convinced Trump that he doesn't want him as an enemy?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• MikeS
Reply #8173
I suppose that's part of his usual destructive-blackmail strategy: "Whoops, I keep blowing everything up and setting it on fire, such a shame, wouldn't it be great if we all came together and stopped things from being blown up and on fire? Think about it while I shoot this puppy".
The third Piranha Brother.  Doug, Dinsdale and Donald.

• el jefe
Reply #8174

But the McConnell thing is weirder IMO. Maybe Mitch convinced Trump that he doesn't want him as an enemy?
it's really bad for both of them if they don't get tax reform done.  and they stand a better chance of success if they aren't publicly trashing each other.  maybe trump advisers got that point through to him.