Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• My reactions to this were a mixed "Wow, what monsters, what colossal douchebags." and "lol what kind of idiot moron dork try-hard I-only-just-discovered-Ayn-Rand talks-too-much-during-philosophy-101 pseudo-intellectuals chat about gutting Medicaid at a fucking college party COME ON."

Topic: The Trump Kompromat Theory (Read 21754 times) previous topic - next topic

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Re: The Trump Kompromat Theory
Reply #1925
...yeah, I wasn't as clear as I should have been, originally or in the followup. That followup was meant to focus on the term "offenses", in case there was some idea of a pardon for something that wouldn't be called an "offense".

So, now that it's clear: mind explaining how the power of the pardon is restricted even in purely federal matters? Do you mean the restriction in cases of impeachment, or is there something more?

It is restricted in the same way that every power and right granted by the U.S. constitution is, such as in the myriad ways "congress shall make no law..." of the first amendment has been limited, or the "right to bear arms...words...shall not be infringed" has been infringed.    For example, the clause only says "shall have power..."  It does not say unlimited power, or that that power cannot be limited.  Almost everything in the constitution has been limited based on subsequent interpretation.  The only difference here is the power has not been challenged yet because presidents have largely not abused it, so there has been no caselaw addressing it. That is about to change.

Hypothetically, it is very easy to imagine a pardon that would not be within the president's power.  For example, individual constitutional rights must still be protected, so the president simply issuing a blanket pardon to all individuals "violating laws against racial discrimination when the victims are hispanic" or "police departments committing civil rights violations against hispanic people" would be in direct conflict with rights guaranteed by the constitution. 
As I understand it, Arpaio's lawyers are petitioning for the charges to be dismissed in light of the pardon, but the judge isn't having it, arguing that accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt and ordering arguments to be presented.

Sometimes lawyers are awesome

Reply #1926
  • Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:23:07 PM by uncool

• Faid
Reply #1927
So, a question. If someone is convicted of a crime in the past, can they run for state office in the US? I suppose it depends on the state, but what's the general rule? And does a pardon affect that?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #1928
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_Hill_Garland

Pardoned for being on the Confederate side (and even in the Confederate government). Elected to be senator both before and after Arkansas readdmittance, elected to be governor after readmittance, and appointed attorney general under Grover Cleveland. So both state and federal positions after a pardon.

eta:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_King_Udall

Received a full and unconditional pardon (similar to the pardon Arpaio received), and later served as a territorial representative (before Arizona was admitted).

Both of these are really old cases, though.

eta:

https://www.ok.gov/doc/documents/160301ab.pdf

If you have been convicted of any felony (or misdemeanor involving embezzlement), you cannot seek or hold any state, county or city office (including school offices) for 15 years after the completion of your sentence unless you have received a pardon.
So a pardon in Oklahoma can return the right to hold office.

For Arizona specifically:

http://ccresourcecenter.org/state-restoration-profiles/arizona-restoration-of-rights-pardon-expungement-sealing/

I would think it would be a first felony offense, in which case
For a first felony offender (state or federal), civil rights, other than those pertaining to firearms, are automatically restored upon completion of the term of probation, or upon an unconditional discharge from imprisonment and upon completion of payment of any fine or restitution.

so Arpaio probably could take federal or state office, if pardon challenges fail.

eta: forgot to include the federal version.
https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/pardon/legacy/2006/11/13/collateral_consequences.pdf
A presidential pardon restores civil rights lost as a result of a federal conviction,
including the rights to vote, to serve on a jury, and to hold public office, and generally relieves
other disabilities that attach solely by reason of the commission or conviction of the pardoned
offense. See Ex parte Garland, 71 U.S. 333 (1866); Opinions of the Office of Legal Counsel,
United States Department of Justice, June 19, 1995, Effects of a Pardon. See also Carlesi v. New
York, 233 U.S. 51 (1914).
  • Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:27:17 AM by uncool

• Faid
Reply #1929
Well, shit.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Bilirubin
Reply #1930

Reply #1931
As if we didn't know already.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Bilirubin
Reply #1932
Strong and real and my friend

Reply #1933
Thinking about that very real tape everyday

Reply #1934
solidarity to all piss-tape-comprehenders

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #1935
"Hello darkness my old friend...
I've come to obstruct justice once again...
Behind Clinton softly creeping...
Peeing on hookers while they were sleeping...
And the Russians that were planted in my brain
Still remain
Amid the sounds... of indictments.
On restless nights I tweet alone...
In the bathroom using my cell phone..."

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #1937

• Pingu
Reply #1938
"Hello darkness my old friend...
I've come to obstruct justice once again...
Behind Clinton softly creeping...
Peeing on hookers while they were sleeping...
And the Russians that were planted in my brain
Still remain
Amid the sounds... of indictments.
On restless nights I tweet alone...
In the bathroom using my cell phone..."

Someone can't do scansion  :unsure:

• JonF
Reply #1939

Snap!
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #1940
by the way none of this shit is going to matter and trump's going to win re-election in 2020, hth

Reply #1941
what 2020 election

Reply #1942
joke: thinking trump will get impeached or whatever
broke: thinking trump will lose in 2020
woke: thinking trump will win in 2020
bespoke:
what 2020 election

• ksen
Reply #1943
by the way none of this shit is going to matter and trump's going to win re-election in 2020, hth
If he starts teaming up with democrats to pass our legislation I'd be kind of ok with that.

Reply #1944
yeah the other part i didn't mention is that he's going to run as a democrat in 2020

Reply #1945
Remember when Rachel Maddow hyped up having Trump's tax returns and then revealed she had dick squat?

Reply #1946
Remember when Rachel Maddow hyped up having Trump's tax returns and then revealed she had dick squat?
:sad:

Reply #1947
trump v zuck 2020

:stareicide:

Reply #1948
that would totally.... zuck.

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #1949
joke: thinking trump will get impeached or whatever
broke: thinking trump will lose in 2020
woke: thinking trump will win in 2020
bespoke:
what 2020 election

Someone's going to take him out.
Or he has an accident and dies.... like that guy who slipped on the ice and cracked his skull open.  ( I miss Schneibster )
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."