Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Not nearly as retarded as those other "rational" sites.

Topic: Brexit is go for launch (Read 2462 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brexit is go for launch
Reply #175
that is a pathetic excuse for journalism
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #176

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #177
man, europe is so old-fashioned

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #178
I'd pay to watch, not going to lie

Reply #179
Just read this article in the Observer (via the Guardian website here making all sorts of connections between individuals and organisations that may have influenced both "Brexit" and the US election, notably Steve Bannon, Robert Mercer and an outfit called Cambridge Analytica.

Is this as worrying as it sounds?

Reply #180
I posted the guardian article in the trumpocolypse thread. Seems extremely worrying to me. I'll look for the link.

Reply #181

Reply #182
Same article. Doh.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #183
I posted the guardian article in the trumpocolypse thread. Seems extremely worrying to me. I'll look for the link.

The thing about that article that just destroyed me was the fact that British pundits are concerned about tying the UK to closely to an America being remade into an "authoritarian surveillance state".  I can't kid myself that the comment is anything other than a fair assessment.

This is not my America.

Reply #184

The thing about that article that just destroyed me was the fact that British pundits are concerned about tying the UK to closely to an America being remade into an "authoritarian surveillance state".  I can't kid myself that the comment is anything other than a fair assessment.

This is not my America.
yeah. It's disturbing and not a unique to america problem. Technology is getting the best of us.

• MikeS
Reply #185
Looking at the upcoming election, here's my unprofessional read on the main parties.  Firstly, this ISN'T about a public referendum to give Ms. May confirmation from the public; this is a power play both internal Tory and external against Labor along with a long enough lag between Brexit final in 2019 and an election deadline in 2022.

Tory:  Theresa May, after ripping apart the Cameron stooges in the cabinet and replacing them with her own, is showing some adept realpolitik by calling this election.  Labor is weak, her hard-core Brexit folks hold too much back-bench power, and she started Brexit negotiations with the understanding that they probably won't finish in 2 years (1 year 11 months ... tick ... tick ...).
- Conservatives have a 20+ seat majority.  Outside chance they get toward a 100 seat majority but with LibDem seats coming "back to the fold" they probably have a chance for a 40-50 seat majority.  This would be enough to kneecap the hard liners and let her negotiate a softer Brexit landing.

Labor:  The hard left is in control with Corbyn and he's trying to change the rules to stay in control for a long time.  This election has caught them off gaurd, maybe thinking that the 5 year Election Agreement (a carry over from the Tory/LibDem alliance) would protect them; for some reason Corbyn signed off on the election without protest (or realizing that not to sign might lead to a self-inflicted no confidence from the Tories and an election anyway).
- Labor is in trouble.  After losing Scotland to the SDP they now face another round of lost seats to a resurgent LibDem party.  Labor may have trouble keeping above 200 seats in this election.  Lot's of moving parts here so this could swing 20+ seats, but it will still be a historic low for Labor.

LibDem:  From government alliance to 8 seats in the last election.  Now, phoenix-like, the party is resurgent in their old stomping grounds and look to regain some of their prior hold on parliament.  Leadership is a question, but being the only strong UK party that is pro-EU will bring votes and wins in unexpected places; I expect the Remain voters are pissed off enough to give both the Tories and Labor a black eye at the polls.
- Allthough Tim Farron has not come out of the gate strong, the party is set to pick up 30 to 50 seats.  This could increase depending on the Remain voting intentions, a 3-way race in marginal districts could set Tory and Labor splits on Leavers with Remainers a solid LibDem vote.

UKIP:  Nigel Farage is skipping the national election to remain in the EU Parliament.  Close the books, stick a fork in it.  They're done.  They might get some votes but they will lose the seat they have (or is it 2, I forget).

SNP:  They hit a high-water mark with 56 of 59 seats last election.  Without any real forward progress since Brexit, and Ms. May shutting down any discussion about a referendum, their challange is to maintain their seats.  They may just look to more autonomy and be happy as the leading regional party to run the Scottish parliament, but that would be some regression in how Scotland and the UK have interacted in the past.  Otherwise they start to resemble Northern Ireland with regional, not national, interests taking over but no real voice in the national parliament.

A month to go, and it will be a story of how much of a Tory win will result.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #186
https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomchivers/brexit-could-have-a-catastrophic-effect-on-vital-drug

A hard Brexit could harm patients by causing shipments of vital drugs to be delayed at borders, slow the introduction of new medicines to Britain, and make Britain a less attractive place to do clinical research, industry bodies have told BuzzFeed News.

The European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations warned that if Britain leaves the European Medicines Agency, the body that regulates medicines and pharmaceuticals in European Union countries, it could "endanger patient health".

A spokesperson for the EFPIA told BuzzFeed News that it is of "paramount importance" that the UK remains subject to the EMA, or signs a deal achieving "continuity".

:woop:

Another risk is that if UK regulation starts to diverge from EU regulation, it could negatively affect research into new drugs, and British research more widely, said Thompson.

"The UK runs about 25% to 30% of all clinical trials held in the EU," she said - a very large figure given that the country only accounts for about 10% of the EU's total population. About 40% of those trials involve cross-border collaboration, meaning that data is taken from other member states, which is especially important in research on rare diseases where there isn't a large enough population of sufferers in any single country.

At the moment, she said, it's relatively easy to run a clinical trial across several EU member states under EU regulations. From 2019 a new law, the Clinical Trial Regulation, will come in, making it even easier. If the UK is no longer part of that regulatory framework, "there's a risk we'll become a less attractive place for doing research."

The same regulatory framework also governs the sharing of personal data between states. "At the moment researchers are able to transfer data between states," she added. "Because so many projects are collaborative, and because data is the currency of science, this free flow is important for how science works," she said, referring not just to clinical trials of new drugs, but to public-health research examining the impact of various environmental factors on health.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #187
https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomchivers/brexit-could-have-a-catastrophic-effect-on-vital-drug

A hard Brexit could harm patients by causing shipments of vital drugs to be delayed at borders, slow the introduction of new medicines to Britain, and make Britain a less attractive place to do clinical research, industry bodies have told BuzzFeed News.

The European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations warned that if Britain leaves the European Medicines Agency, the body that regulates medicines and pharmaceuticals in European Union countries, it could "endanger patient health".

A spokesperson for the EFPIA told BuzzFeed News that it is of "paramount importance" that the UK remains subject to the EMA, or signs a deal achieving "continuity".

:woop:

Another risk is that if UK regulation starts to diverge from EU regulation, it could negatively affect research into new drugs, and British research more widely, said Thompson.

"The UK runs about 25% to 30% of all clinical trials held in the EU," she said - a very large figure given that the country only accounts for about 10% of the EU's total population. About 40% of those trials involve cross-border collaboration, meaning that data is taken from other member states, which is especially important in research on rare diseases where there isn't a large enough population of sufferers in any single country.

At the moment, she said, it's relatively easy to run a clinical trial across several EU member states under EU regulations. From 2019 a new law, the Clinical Trial Regulation, will come in, making it even easier. If the UK is no longer part of that regulatory framework, "there's a risk we'll become a less attractive place for doing research."

The same regulatory framework also governs the sharing of personal data between states. "At the moment researchers are able to transfer data between states," she added. "Because so many projects are collaborative, and because data is the currency of science, this free flow is important for how science works," she said, referring not just to clinical trials of new drugs, but to public-health research examining the impact of various environmental factors on health.
Yeah, so?
Are we there yet?

Reply #188
So the UK is fucked if it wants to do science.
Why do I bother?

Reply #189
it's gonna suck even more when EU science infrastructure money stops being directed towards UK research institutions.

• ksen
Reply #190
Is this fake news? I have been assured by my friends on conservative media that communist health systems do not do their own research and instead just steal the research from companies free of the shackles of government in the United States.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #191
Is this fake news? I have been assured by my friends on conservative media that communist health systems do not do their own research and instead just steal the research from companies free of the shackles of government in the United States.
Fun Fact:
The successful ebola vaccine, that's been much in the news of late, was developed by researchers enslaved in Red Canada.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #192
To be fair though, CIHR is really trying to redirect funding from basic research towards clinical care. For example, the vast majority of the CIHR postdoc fellowships awarded in the last few years supported salary for residents on the understanding that these residents would do a small amount of clinical research, and almost exclusively rejected dedicated researchers.

• MikeS
Reply #193
I thought residents were the test beds of clinical research.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #194
I've been sorta following the Brexit saga, just for shits and giggles, and it seems to get more and more insane every day. It's as if Monty Python got together with the Goons, and decided to write a massive pisstake about a hypothetical scenario that nobody would ever be stupid enough to contemplate in real life. It makes Australian politics, which has been fucking mental, look sane by comparison.
Truth is out of style

Reply #195
To be fair though, CIHR is really trying to redirect funding from basic research towards clinical care. For example, the vast majority of the CIHR postdoc fellowships awarded in the last few years supported salary for residents on the understanding that these residents would do a small amount of clinical research, and almost exclusively rejected dedicated researchers.
wait, MD's include dedicated researchers?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #196
So this is still going on, and is still fucking funny to watch. The Brexiteers still don't understand that they no longer have an empire. They seem think that it's still the 19th century, and that the EU is one of the colonies and will do what the UK wants it to do.

They are about to get an education: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/16/leaked-eu-paper-dents-mays-hopes-for-bespoke-brexit-trade-deal
Truth is out of style

• el jefe
Reply #197
they thank whatever gods may be for their unconquerable souls

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #198
This whole schemozzle is playing out exactly the way any sane non-Brexiteer always knew it would. The EU are sticking to their guns, The Poms are slowly realising that they have no leverage, while carrying on like a bunch of headless chooks, of course.
Truth is out of style

• el jefe
Reply #199
without bothering to read any articles, let me guess:  they are still trying to have it both ways.  they want the advantages of membership without the costs.

eta: and, like you say, they don't have the leverage to pull it off