Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Do you have to allow so much swearing and name calling on your website? Is it really necessary? I came by this web site by asking a Bargain Hunt question and was surprised that such a family, morning TV programme has cause for such mindless profanities. It makes one ask why watch the programme then?

Topic: Immigration/border patrol megathread (Read 4561 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Re: Immigration/border patrol megathread
Reply #400
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fearing-deportation-immigrant-flood-victims-make-do-on-their-own/ar-AAreH1D

"We did it more for the children, they're all citizens," said Perez's daughter, Ofelia Ibarra, 28. "We couldn't risk their lives."

:(

Reply #401

Reply #402
Lol

• MikeS
Reply #403
So rhetorical questions are now against the law.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #404
Wow they found Pat Toomey!

Someone one put him back into hiding pls.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #405
look at the smug happy look on this motherfucker's face:

Reply #406
reminded me of

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #407

Reply #408
lmao

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #409
Makes your heart swell with American pride.

That's one thing I love about all of this. I'm supposed to be super ultra patriotic and wave the flag and defend this great country and be forever grateful and thankful for the opportunity to be here, but also a chunk of the American population hates me because I speak Spanish and thinks I'll never be truly American because I wasn't born here but also I still need to be patriotic and suppourt are troopes.

• MikeS
Reply #410
Can we call him a Nazi and punch him?

Reply #411
Makes your heart swell with American pride.

That's one thing I love about all of this. I'm supposed to be super ultra patriotic and wave the flag and defend this great country and be forever grateful and thankful for the opportunity to be here, but also a chunk of the American population hates me because I speak Spanish and thinks I'll never be truly American because I wasn't born here but also I still need to be patriotic and suppourt are troopes.

I wonder what the odds are that her family has been here since it was Mexican (Spanish) territory anyway?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #412
Well that guy looks and sounds like he's spent his time on earth well.  :unsure:

Absolutely astonished to hear he has high blood pressure.  :stare:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #413
Max Boot saying the same shit I've been feeling: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2017/09/05/i-came-to-this-country-41-years-ago-now-trump-is-making-me-feel-like-i-dont-belong-here/

But I think about those who are affected and I wonder what will happen to them. I wonder what would happen to me if I were one of them, as I so easily could be. What would I do now, at age 48, if I were deported to a country that I have not seen in more than 40 years and whose language I no longer speak? How would I work? How would I survive? In my case it would be a particularly pressing problem, given how critical I have been of Russia's current president. The risk of political persecution would be all too real for me -- as it is for "dreamers" who might be deported to repressive countries. And what would happen to my family -- to my partner, to my children, to my stepchildren? None of them are Russian. A move would be even more jarring for them than for me.

The result of all this hate-mongering is that for the first time, I no longer feel like a "real" American. I now feel like an outcast, a minority. I'm already a person without a party, having left the GOP after 30 years because of my opposition to Trump and all that he stands for. Increasingly I feel like a Jew, an immigrant, a Russian -- anything but a normal, mainstream American.

That may be precisely what Trump and his most fervent supporters intend. They are redefining what it means to be an American. The old idea that anyone who embraces America's ideals can become an American is out. A White House aide has even repudiated the words on the Statue of Liberty: "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." Instead, American-ness is being redefined in blood-and-soil terms. I find myself increasingly forced to think of my ethnic identity instead of the national identity I adopted as a boy in 1976. That is discomfiting for me, and a tragedy for America.

eta except for this whole "first time" business. Definitely worse now than ever, though.
  • Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:21:14 AM by meepmeep

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #414
More unintended consequences:

Like an increasing number of children in Southern California, Elizabeth and her older sister, Stephanie, moved to Mexico because their parents had been deported, and educators on both sides of the border worry that even more American kids will leave the U.S. since President Trump has made strict immigration policy a cornerstone of his agenda.More and more families are hedging their bets, preferring to stay united in Mexico rather than be separated by international borders.

Already, researchers and authorities estimate that between half a million and 800,000 American children have moved to Mexico since 2008 and most come from California.

It's creating an education conundrum that strains the resources of the Mexican and U.S. governments.
In Mexico, American-citizen children face an education system that isn't fully prepared for the influx of students, especially students who don't speak Spanish. And children who choose to stay in the U.S., separated from their parents who return to Mexico, are more likely to suffer from early-onset mental illness and behavioral problems. Both groups are likely to drop out of school altogether.
"With the new government in the U.S. there is a lot of speculation that there is going to be a massive exodus so that the Mexicans are going to get back to Mexico," said Mario Benitez Reyes, superintendent of schools in Tecate.

Children like Elizabeth are called "los invisibles," or the invisible ones. These students can slip through the Mexican education system largely unnoticed -- just one more Latino face in a sea of others staring back at the teacher -- but they face a steep learning curve when they arrive. Many speak little to no Spanish and feel isolated in school.

The Mexican Education Department has an immersion program called identify primarily American students and help them assimilate to Mexican schools, but it's expensive to hire teachers for the program, Benitez Reyes said, and resources are unevenly distributed across the country.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/09/05/american-kids-pour-across-border-mexican-schools-struggle-keep-up/629458001/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnation-topstories

Whole article is sad.
  • Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:22:37 PM by borealis

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #415
not to miss the point, but I don't know if they had to translate "los invisibles"

• nesb
Reply #416
This all seems pretty simple to me. We legislate a DACA-like program, or we pay reparations to the descendants of slaves. Since we have to decide if the sins of our father carry over to us.
  • Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:13:15 AM by nesb

Reply #417
republicans are more interested in committing a whole new set of horrific sins, really.

Reply #418

Reply #419
Schizophrenic.

Reply #420
I mean, 432D chess.

Reply #421

Trump hates McConnell and Ryan. Who can blame them? They're awful people who would be extremely boring to spend time with.

Trump has known and liked Schumer for years, on the other hand. It's entirely a personal thing, but if it means we get the dream act I'll take it.

Reply #422
I just hope it does not mean concessions on something else awful.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #423
Trump is certainly a man of his word, so

Reply #424
trump/schumer 2020