Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Refugees from Internet Infidels, but still unaware they are free.

Topic: Keeping tabs on the alt-right (Read 12160 times) previous topic - next topic

• ksen
Re: Keeping tabs on the alt-right
Reply #1050
wanna bet?

• linus
Reply #1051

• linus
Reply #1052
Looks like the older, classic racism is still going strong in Austria, even if the "alt-right" cloak has peaked in other EU countries. Winner ÖVP will form a government coalition with FPÖ, from which it is said to have copied its immigration policy.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #1053
Austria gonna Austria

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1054
Sieg heil! :cheer:
Truth is out of style

• ksen
Reply #1055
Maybe this time Austria gives Germany the old Anschluss.

I'm also looking forward to the reformation of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

• el jefe

• el jefe
Reply #1057
john mccain received something called the liberty medal today.  I've never heard of it before, but joe biden was the one who gave it to him in the ceremony, so I'm guessing it is both a legit honor and free of partisan flavor.

anyway, in his remarks, mccain said this...

To fear the world we have organized and led for three-quarters of a century, to abandon the ideals we have advanced around the globe, to refuse the obligations of international leadership and our duty to remain 'the last best hope of earth' for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems is as unpatriotic as an attachment to any other tired dogma of the past that Americans consigned to the ash heap of history.

https://politicalwire.com/2017/10/16/bonus-quote-day-236/

it's a shame it came couched in neoconservatism and Yanking off, but I'll take it.

twitter reply due in about 4 hours

• el jefe
Reply #1058
oh look, he waited all the way until late morning and put it "nicely"

https://apnews.com/cd337697c2f04726b69076627c014eb7?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Trump said in a radio interview with WMAL in Washington that "people have to be careful because at some point I fight back." The president added "I'm being very, very nice but at some point I fight back and it won't be pretty."

McCain, a former Navy pilot who spent 5½ years in a Vietnam prisoner of war camp and is battling brain cancer, offered a simple response to Trump: "I have faced tougher adversaries."

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #1059
https://www.channel4.com/news/neo-nazi-national-front-organiser-quits-movement-comes-out-as-gay-kevin-wilshaw-jewish-heritage

Neo-Nazi and National Front organiser quits movement, opens up about Jewish heritage, comes out as gay
A white supremacist active as recently as the start of this year says today he is publicly renouncing 40 years of hate. Speaking on Channel 4 News he comes out as gay for the first time - and admits to a violent past.

The Onion staff must have a hard time satirizing this shit.

Reply #1060
"Neo Nazi has considered opinions based on rational judgement and informed historical perspective"
Yeah, my friends think I'm weird...
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ksen
Reply #1062
How the fuck is charging a speaker the costs they incur violating his first amendment rights?

Goddamn it Florida.

Reply #1063
How the fuck is charging a speaker the costs they incur violating his first amendment rights?

Goddamn it Florida.
It's not, if I remember correctly.

To be more precise, the school is permitted to charge security costs, and is allowed to make those charges depend on the security needed. What isn't allowed is for the school to determine the costs based on the content of the speeches - and that includes whether the speaker will be considered "controversial". In other words, the school is required to charge Spencer's group exactly the same amount it would charge, say, Mr. Rogers for a similarly situated speech.

I think the article is trying to say is that the university is passing on the regular charges (the $10,000), but has decided that it does need more security due to who Richard Spencer is (and the response to him). So it has more security than normal, but isn't allowed to pass on the extra charges.
  • Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:35:58 AM by uncool

Reply #1064
let him come with normal security

who cares if he gets his ass beat, if he wants more security that's on him.

eta if the Nazis are the ones who start shit, put a bullet in their head

• el jefe
Reply #1065
yeah, if having additional security because he attracts violence and charging him for it is viewpoint discrimination, then provide and charge for a normal level of security.

Reply #1066
or, hell, even if they don't start shit.

Reply #1067
let him come with normal security

who cares if he gets his ass beat, if he wants more security that's on him.

That is legal iirc, but also doesn't work for the university, as the danger isn't only to the speaker. The university is paying this much to protect its students and its property, not just the speaker.

Reply #1068
okay, cut out the middle steps and skip straight to my last recommendation!

Universities shouldn't be forced to spend an entire department's annual budget to provide security so a Nazi can come speak on campus. Nobody gains a single thing from that.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #1069
https://www.channel4.com/news/neo-nazi-national-front-organiser-quits-movement-comes-out-as-gay-kevin-wilshaw-jewish-heritage

Neo-Nazi and National Front organiser quits movement, opens up about Jewish heritage, comes out as gay
A white supremacist active as recently as the start of this year says today he is publicly renouncing 40 years of hate. Speaking on Channel 4 News he comes out as gay for the first time - and admits to a violent past.

The Onion staff must have a hard time satirizing this shit.

Related ...

The Onion Sues Trump Administration for Stealing All Their Ideas

CHICAGO: The Onion, a satirical news source known for outrageous headlines of impossible-to-believe stories, is suing the Trump Administration for stealing so many of their ideas and attempting to make them a reality.

Kurt Mueller, the Chief Operating Officer of the Onion, was furious and focused outside of Cook County Courthouse in Chicago. "Trump Administration Relying on Elton John Lyrics to Conduct Diplomacy with North Korea - stolen! Senators Tweet Criticism of 'White House Daycare Nannies' for Missing President-Sitting Shifts - also robbed! Meanwhile the President proclaims a sexual assault month and says he doesn't need intelligence briefings because he's 'smart.'"

The Onion is alleging that every time they come up with the "craziest" idea for a story their 140 employees can think of, the President and his administration preempts them by stealing the idea.

"It's almost like he has our 'wires tapped,'" said Mueller, before bursting into laughter. "He stole that one too!"

The Trump Administration responded to this report by calling it Fake News.

"President Furiously Orders Administration to Defend the Size of His Inauguration Crowd - that was my favorite one" said Mueller sadly. "We were going to cut off 'inauguration crowd' for click-bait, and make all kinds of penile references. I wept when Trump stole that one."

M Night Shyamalan contributed to this report. He can be reached at flatearthtimes@gmail.com.

Follow us on Twitter @flatearthtimes
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• el jefe
Reply #1070
lol

Reply #1071

Reply #1072

Universities shouldn't be forced to spend an entire department's annual budget to provide security so a Nazi can come speak on campus. Nobody gains a single thing from that.
Huh. Is that really an entire annual department budget? Especially at a large state school like UF (according to wiki, enrollment 52k)?

• ksen
Reply #1073

Reply #1074

Huh. Is that really an entire annual department budget? Especially at a large state school like UF (according to wiki, enrollment 52k)?

for small departments, sure

you've already got a death spiral in academia with more and more poorly paid adjuncts and fewer full time professor positions. and TA's paid a tiny amount and struggling to get by. but nope can't spend money on actual educational value, need to have a Nazi on campus instead!