Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: OBAMA!  :whyyou:

Topic: obamacare repeal effort thread (Read 15426 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: obamacare repeal effort thread
Reply #1550
 now I'm reading that collins-nelson establishes "high risk pools OR traditional reinsurance programs".  so maybe they're the same thing, or closely related?

anyway, collins apparently senses she has leverage ;)

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/363130-collins-doubles-funding-ask-for-obamacare-bill

Reply #1551
they already analyzed those two bills with the mandate repeal and found they don't do shit, millions are still fucked and the individual markets probably collapse.

Reply #1552
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• linus

• el jefe
Reply #1554
lol

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #1555
Well, he tweeted today that killing the mandate will eventually kill it (or something like that)

• el jefe
Reply #1556
yes and no and sort of and not really.  repealing the mandate without eliminating guaranteed issue (politically impossible) sets up the infamous death spiral, which would destroy the private insurance industry.  I guess that would take out parts of obamacare, but it would also make inevitable single-payer, which was what the left really wanted all along.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #1557
Just saying $425/month for a shitty bronze plan with no subsidies fucking sucks.

• el jefe
Reply #1558
yeah, lots of people getting hurt along the way.  it's terrible stuff.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #1559
What?

You thought Trump was done destroying the ACA?

• Faid
Reply #1560
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• el jefe
Reply #1561
What?

You thought Trump was done destroying the ACA?

budget requests are just wish lists

• uncool
Reply #1562
So uh

Trump screwing the insurance companies might come back to bite him in the ass, if I'm reading this right.

https://takecareblog.com/blog/just-how-many-billions-of-dollars-are-at-stake-in-the-litigation-over-cost-sharing-payments

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #1563
Compassionate conservatism in Louisiana

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/07/louisiana-nursing-home-eviction-notices-could-create-mass-chaos/588867002/

"This make us look heartless," said Senate Finance Chair Eric LaFleur, D-Ville Platte.

Sen. Bodi White, R-Baton Rouge, said he believes sending the notification to nursing home residents and others in long-term residential care is premature.

"I don't see how in good conscience they can do that to these older folks," White said.

Sen. Sharon Hewitt, R-Slidell, said the Department of Health should be focused on identifying fraud and saving money there "rather than kicking grandma out of the nursing home."

If I understand the details correctly, the senate and assembly can't even talk about taxes during a regular session.

Assuming they get their shit together, they want to close the regular session early and have a special session in May where they talk about raising taxes for Medicaid.

Reply #1564
Amazing that slippery slope of pure ideology

• el jefe
Reply #1565
some 2019 premiums are beginning to be published, and they are jumping more than in previous years.  as expected, getting rid of the mandate, without any fixes, has destabilized the market.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-07/obamacare-premiums-to-surge-next-year-early-rate-requests-show

remarkable to me that the gop is not doing anything to even appear to be addressing this.  a half-serious approach would be to pass alexander-murray and/or collins - Nelson.  a minimal, politically expedient approach would be to pass something, even if it's conservative garbage, so you can say you're doing something and then blame the democrats or big government when it doesn't work.  and they don't even seem to be doing that.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #1566
remarkable to me that the gop is not doing anything to even appear to be addressing this.  a half-serious approach would be to pass alexander-murray and/or collins - Nelson.  a minimal, politically expedient approach would be to pass something, even if it's conservative garbage, so you can say you're doing something and then blame the democrats or big government when it doesn't work.  and they don't even seem to be doing that.
Why put all that effort into it - and actually take the risk of taking responsibility for voting for something, rather than just against  - when you can blame the democrats and big government for the collapse of the ACA as it is, without lifting a finger?   :dunno:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #1567
thank u president trump for making single payer even more obviously the only viable alternative

• el jefe
Reply #1568

• el jefe
Reply #1569
gop is predictably saying "nuh uh, this the the failure of obamacare and obama and the democrats and big government".  they have to take that angle, but it isn't necessarily an effective message.  they themselves had already decided in recent months to avoid the topic.  this is not a conversation the gop wants to have.  and while I'm sure fox news and Sinclair broadcasting will do their best to report that trump is awesome and this is really the democrats' fault, I think the simple fact pattern will be hard for swing voters to overlook:  the gop changed something and then premiums jumped worse than they did before.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #1570
We don't have one of the exchange plans but our premium went up $200/mo anyway. Thanks, Trump! :cheer:

• el jefe
Reply #1571
this has the potential to wipe out any benefit the gop might see from wage growth.  supposedly the thing voters seem to respond most to is changes in real disposable income.  if the wage growth I think is coming this summer and fall materializes and yet health insurance premiums jump by double digit percents, the gop will be seen to be giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

• ksen
Reply #1572
Well, they said they wanted the old system back and yearly double digit increases is basically the old system.

So they should be happy now.

Reply #1573
hey remember when trump repeatedly promised to not touch medicare and medicaid and even to expand the system to truly universal health care?

weird how he's often spoken of in terms like "well, he's kept his promises to his base"

Reply #1574
It is pretty disturbing for sure.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor