Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: This may well be the biggest honor of my life.

Topic: Whatcha playing'? (Read 2924 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Whatcha playing'?
Reply #50
My experience is that there is a very vocal community of gamers who do want regular rebalancing and content updates in order to ensure that competitive gameplay remains balanced. If you go back to the old floppy disk and CD games there were always aspects of gameplay that the designers tried really hard to put in games but which were never really fun because the balance was off. In competitive online games (e.g. Overwatch or Dota) you see this sort of rebalancing constantly as a means of keeping things interesting.

I agree that we don't want buggy games released but the problem, again, is that we're not paying gaming companies enough to both support post-release costs of the games (e.g. gaming servers, community support, etc) as well as enough to do complete bug testing. And let's be honest here, most gamers are not paying full price. A lot are getting games either on steam sale or are getting repackaged game licenses from sites like G2A that broker sales of games which were bought for cheap on steam sales.

I agree that a lot of the online game marketplace stuff is a pain in the ass, but at the same time, I totally understand why the game industry is changing in the way it has. I can't really argue with the fact that cuts have to come from somewhere and a company like Square-Enix will try to keep their content creators and either start charging microtransactions or whatever.

Reply #51
tl;dr: I hate game companies too, but not as much as I hate gamers.

• ksen
Reply #52
My experience is that there is a very vocal community of gamers who do want regular rebalancing and content updates in order to ensure that competitive gameplay remains balanced. If you go back to the old floppy disk and CD games there were always aspects of gameplay that the designers tried really hard to put in games but which were never really fun because the balance was off. In competitive online games (e.g. Overwatch or Dota) you see this sort of rebalancing constantly as a means of keeping things interesting.

Sure, and for games like Overwatch, DOTA and other online-multiplayer games that makes sense and should happen.

I agree that we don't want buggy games released but the problem, again, is that we're not paying gaming companies enough to both support post-release costs of the games (e.g. gaming servers, community support, etc) as well as enough to do complete bug testing. And let's be honest here, most gamers are not paying full price. A lot are getting games either on steam sale or are getting repackaged game licenses from sites like G2A that broker sales of games which were bought for cheap on steam sales.

Not every game should have game servers, etc.  There's no reason games like Dishonored or Assassin's Creed need their own servers.  Even games like Diablo 3 shouldn't require dedicated servers.

I think most gamers understand that games right now are at historically low prices and would be ok with a price adjustment.  But don't try to charge us more for a single -player game while at the same time adding F2P elements like cash shops and microtransactions on top of the full price.

I'll point again to CD Projekt Red that released a complete game and then gave their customers free dlc and a couple of paid dlc that were excellent additions to Witcher 3 and not just blind cash grabs.

I agree that a lot of the online game marketplace stuff is a pain in the ass, but at the same time, I totally understand why the game industry is changing in the way it has. I can't really argue with the fact that cuts have to come from somewhere and a company like Square-Enix will try to keep their content creators and either start charging microtransactions or whatever.
What boggles my mind about Square-Enix in particular is that they tried their "games as a service" model with the latest Hitman release and it was such a failure that they got rid of the developers.  And now they want to bring that into their flagship Final Fantasy series.  It's stupid and just goes to show that even if you've been able to finagle a multi-million dollar a year job that you can still be an idiot about what should be your core business.

Oh, and don't get me started on the latest loot crate fad. Ugh.

• ksen
Reply #53
tl;dr: I hate game companies too, but not as much as I hate gamers.
Yes, gamers are shit.

Reply #54
basically game developers have never called me homophobic names for getting ganked by a hanzo main in overwatch

• ksen
Reply #55
basically game developers have never called me homophobic names for getting ganked by a hanzo main in overwatch
Uh, if you're getting ganked by a hanzo main then you are gay.

Reply #56
actually it's about ethics in Overwatch meta

Reply #57
anyways fuck you I'm a Sombra main

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #58
Pretty glad I nevre playd Overwatch.

I am in the Quake demo and should probably play a few matches in it sometime

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #59
Dark Souls.  Always going back to it.
I would like to know more about this

What would you like to know?

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #60
Anything at all I guess I could google a synopsis so stick with "what keeps you going back"?

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #61
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• ksen
Reply #62
Anything at all I guess I could google a synopsis so stick with "what keeps you going back"?
Other than a couple of places, I'm looking at you Blighttown, the areas are great the way they are interconnected and the game doesn't force you to go through linearly.

Combat is fun.  People say it's hard but once it clicks it's great.

Boss fights.  They can make you break a controller in frustration but when you finally beat it you get a pretty sweet rush of "fuck yeah!"

No mercy.  If you're not paying attention something will kill you.

Sif.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #63

To the series in general?  It would be the depth of the game play, the mechanics, and the replayability. 

The game (all three of them, really, but especially 1 and 3) is built so that if you're playing as a heavily armored knight, your experience will be almost completely different than if you played as a sorcerer, or a thief, etc.  If you think of the game as one large puzzle, the way to navigate the puzzle is based on your character class.  For me, that's tremendously fun.

Also, the difficulty is certainly high, but it is not insurmountable.  So, beating certain challenges is actually rewarding, instead of "Okay, beat this, next level."  In general, the game demands concentration and focus, so if you're doing it right you end up in the zone and it is almost meditative in its ability to force out -- or force you to force out -- distractions.

Then you've got everything else: phenomenal art design, a great score, a great atmosphere.  I can't recommend the series enough, though if it has a weakpoint it is the second game.  I you played 1 and 3, you'd be fine.

• ksen
Reply #64
I like 3 a lot and it's the one I've beat the most times.  But I don't know if it was a great idea to put Bloodborne enemies in a Dark Souls game.

Ty, have you played the DS3 DLCs yet?  I have them but haven't played them yet.  I heard The Ringed City is Old Hunters tier good.

Oh and bili for your first playthrough try to avoid fat-rolling.  Fat-rolling happens when the weight of your gear is a certain percentage of your carry limit.  Unless you are able to get parry timing right (I suck at parrying) rolling will be the main way you avoid getting hit.

Also protip: Stamina is life.  Don't forget to put your shield down otherwise your stamina will not regenerate fast enough.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #65
I like 3 a lot and it's the one I've beat the most times.  But I don't know if it was a great idea to put Bloodborne enemies in a Dark Souls game.

Ty, have you played the DS3 DLCs yet?  I have them but haven't played them yet.  I heard The Ringed City is Old Hunters tier good.

Oh and bili for your first playthrough try to avoid fat-rolling.  Fat-rolling happens when the weight of your gear is a certain percentage of your carry limit.  Unless you are able to get parry timing right (I suck at parrying) rolling will be the main way you avoid getting hit.

Also protip: Stamina is life.  Don't forget to put your shield down otherwise your stamina will not regenerate fast enough.

I have the DLC's and am playing through them now, for the first time.  I recently upgraded my rig so I am playing DS3 on my now-kick-ass machine.  The game is so much better at 60 FPS, makes a huge difference.  I'm not at Ringed City yet, just Ariendel (which, I hear, is the weaker of the two DLCs.)

Mostly I got it so I could fight in the undead arena and school dudes with my Cathedral Knight Greatsword.

Bili: If you start playing DS1 I will make a YouTube series called "Old Souls" and I will walk you and other people through DS1, how does that sound?

• ksen
Reply #66
EpicNameBro has probably the best DS1 series called "From the Dark".

I would watch a Ty series though.

Do you stick to the SL120 meta or whatever it is now?

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #67
EpicNameBro has probably the best DS1 series called "From the Dark".

I would watch a Ty series though.

Do you stick to the SL120 meta or whatever it is now?

No.  I usually don't event get my guys to 120, I really don't like NG+.  I don't see the point.

Did you play Bloodborne?

• ksen
Reply #68
I did play Bloodborne.  I haven't finished it though.  I've only got a couple of bosses to go but I put it down for whatever reason and haven't got back to it.

I'm great at starting games and getting halfway through.  I'm terrible at finishing them.

The character I'm close to finishing it with is an arcane build and once you get the gear for it it's pretty fun.

Did you play it?

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #69
I've beaten it multiple times -- it might actually edge out DS1 for my favorite game.  It is a masterpiece.

• ksen
Reply #70
It is a great game.

Hey, how did you deal with the brain guys that cause frenzy?  I hated those guys.  I think I just put on all the frenzy resist stuff I could tried to creep up on them and just ran in ax flailing when they noticed me.

Usually didn't end well.

I don't know if it's even fair to call it a souls game.  It's so much faster and you get rewarded for being aggressive unlike Dark Souls which will push your shit in if you get too aggressive.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #71
It is a great game.

Hey, how did you deal with the brain guys that cause frenzy?  I hated those guys.  I think I just put on all the frenzy resist stuff I could tried to creep up on them and just ran in ax flailing when they noticed me.

Usually didn't end well.

I don't know if it's even fair to call it a souls game.  It's so much faster and you get rewarded for being aggressive unlike Dark Souls which will push your shit in if you get too aggressive.

Bait them into attacking, riposte, visceral attack.  It will kill them in one strike.  Also, if you time it right the frenzy damage will occur while you're in the middle of the visceral attack, so you won't take any damage.  This guy gets it right, though he waits a little too long for my comfort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p70HgAuLQpA

• ksen
Reply #72
Thanks!

It's weird how some bosses are impossible for some people but kind of easy for others.

For example in DS3 I've read people complaining about how hard Sulyvahn and Dancer are but they were two bosses I was able to down pretty easily.  But Vicar Amelia or Blood Starved Beast in BB?  Forget it.  Those bosses own me every time.

I find a good tactic for me is to get right up next to them and stay there as much as possible.  For Dancer in DS3 I put my nose right in her ass and kept it there and beat her first time.

• ksen
Reply #73
I bet you guys thought under/unemployment and low labor force participation was caused by a combination of technology, outsourcing, etc.  But you'd be wrong.

U. of Chicago economist Erik Hurst has it all figured out: it's videogames.

eta: Bloomberg to the rescue!
  • Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:03:46 PM by ksen

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #74
I bet you guys thought under/unemployment and low labor force participation was caused by a combination of technology, outsourcing, etc.  But you'd be wrong.

U. of Chicago economist Erik Hurst has it all figured out: it's videogames.

eta: Bloomberg to the rescue!

Lol.  If you only knew how much trouble this study has caused me over the last two weeks.  Mother fuck.