Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Better smileys.

Topic: What Movie have you watched lately? (Read 3830 times) previous topic - next topic

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Re: What Movie have you watched lately?
Reply #225
Watched half of Wonder Woman about two months ago.  Still haven't finished it.  It was okay I guess, but clearly not compelling.

Plus, I was pretty irked with the completely idiotic reinvention and smooshing together of both the Greek and Roman pantheons.  Seriously, these are well established myths. - don't go fucking with them just so you can make some superheroine movie.  Maybe I'll try to give it another go this weekend.  Although I think we're planning to binge-watch all of Firefly and Serenity.  We've got a friend visiting who has never seen them. 

I know - where has this guy been that he hasn't seen them?  Well... working in hot zones in the middle east then isolated in an ashram, so at least he has a decent excuse.  Still, it's a travesty bordering on heresy.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

Reply #226
I watched Jordan Peele's horror satire "Get Out" last night. It kicked ass. The satire was a lot thicker than the blood, however. There was comparatively little gore, and the way the plot unfolded was more like a thriller than a horror flick.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #227
Get out was excellent.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #228
Plus, I was pretty irked with the completely idiotic reinvention and smooshing together of both the Greek and Roman pantheons.  Seriously, these are well established myths. - don't go fucking with them just so you can make some superheroine movie.  
I'm pretty sure they've been smooshed together like that since the comics were first written in the 1940s. 
Why do I bother?

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #229
Plus, I was pretty irked with the completely idiotic reinvention and smooshing together of both the Greek and Roman pantheons.  Seriously, these are well established myths. - don't go fucking with them just so you can make some superheroine movie. 
I'm pretty sure they've been smooshed together like that since the comics were first written in the 1940s.
Then I'm irked at DC from all the way back in the 40s then.

Reply #230
You probably shouldn't watch Thor: Ragnarok then either
Why do I bother?

Reply #231
Of course Pandora is irked by the historical inaccuracies of Themyscira, the fictional homeland of Wonder Woman and the Amazons.
  • Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:08:00 PM by madmardigan

• MikeB
Reply #232
A return by Jim Jarmusch, "Paterson".  Refreshing to watch, no unneeded violence, good people aplenty and left me feeling uplifted.

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #233
Radius.  You know when a movie is that bad it's good?  This was not good. 

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #234
Life was really funny.  It wasn't intended as a comedy.

• Monad
Reply #235
Life was really funny.  It wasn't intended as a comedy.

I want my 2 hours back

• Monad
Reply #236
On the other hand

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

really enjoyed it - I know Besson is an acquired taste, idiosyncratic storylines, tendency to introduce cheesy humour, but he also has a huge vision and creates amazing visuals, plus he's always had strong and very likeable female leads and I admire his singular approach. I love all his movies.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #237
I didn't mind Valerian, though I think a better Valerian would have improved things, or maybe just better writing of the relationship between Valerian and Laureline. That often came off as a bit creepy.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• Monad
Reply #238
Agreed - I preferred Laureline and thought of her as more of the main character than the rather pathetic Valerian

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #239
On the other hand

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

really enjoyed it - I know Besson is an acquired taste, idiosyncratic storylines, tendency to introduce cheesy humour, but he also has a huge vision and creates amazing visuals, plus he's always had strong and very likeable female leads and I admire his singular approach. I love all his movies.

I saw this on the plane last week, it was pretty fucking terrible.  Why on Earth did they try to sell that scrawny little ugly dude with a weird voice as some kind of heroic secret agent space agent?  He was utterly unbelievable.  And his relationship with Cara Delvignginginginge was tacky and childish. 

Reply #240
I'll be giving The Last Jedi spoilers here tomorrow at 10PM EST