Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational - guys do you really want to be a part of the socratic method with a retard acting as professor?

Topic: Detecting diseases from your breath? (Read 101 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Detecting diseases from your breath?
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsnano.6b04930

We report on an artificially intelligent nanoarray based on molecularly modified gold nanoparticles and a random network of single-walled carbon nanotubes for noninvasive diagnosis and classification of a number of diseases from exhaled breath. The performance of this artificially intelligent nanoarray was clinically assessed on breath samples collected from 1404 subjects having one of 17 different disease conditions included in the study or having no evidence of any disease (healthy controls). Blind experiments showed that 86% accuracy could be achieved with the artificially intelligent nanoarray, allowing both detection and discrimination between the different disease conditions examined....

Re: Detecting diseases from your breath?
Reply #1
I know nothing of nanoarrays, but don't consider this idea impossible. There's stiff sniff competition, though. Dogs sometimes outperform million dollar equipment on specifics. Diabetes sniffers sense when their owner is dangerously high in blood sugar. Much more convenient that having the patient understand when breathing into some device might be required.

Other dogs warn for oncoming epileptic seizures. I don't know if that is from smell or owner's behaviour. Successful cancer detection has also been reported. Just hit me - are there dogs who specialize in detecting environmental pollution of different kinds?

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #2
Wasps are even better at sniffing, and easily trained, and cheap.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051021120542.htm

So of course they won't be used.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3
I know nothing of nanoarrays, but don't consider this idea impossible. There's stiff sniff competition, though. Dogs sometimes outperform million dollar equipment on specifics. Diabetes sniffers sense when their owner is dangerously high in blood sugar. Much more convenient that having the patient understand when breathing into some device might be required.

Other dogs warn for oncoming epileptic seizures. I don't know if that is from smell or owner's behaviour. Successful cancer detection has also been reported. Just hit me - are there dogs who specialize in detecting environmental pollution of different kinds?

They can be trained to check water for sewage leaks/human fecal contamination. I'm not sure what else has been done with pollution but you can probably train them to sniff out most things.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #4

They can be trained to check water for sewage leaks/human fecal contamination. I'm not sure what else has been done with pollution but you can probably train them to sniff out most things.
NAZIs?
Are we there yet?