Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational. It's grammatically incorrect.

Topic: VR headsets. (Read 80 times) previous topic - next topic

VR headsets.
I've been thinking about getting back into flight and/or driving sims, and in lieu of getting a big monitor or multi-monitor setup, I was looking at some of the VR headgear. Anyone here tried it? 

My impression from various reviews is that VR just isn't quite where it needs to be in terms of resolution and good motion simulation, but it's getting there.

I'll probably wait until at least the next generation, but I wonder if anyone here has even had a chance to try it? 

I think one of the local game stores here might have at setup that I can try out with a FPS on their playstation or similar.  I might go see how well it works.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Re: VR headsets.
Reply #1
I got one of the cheap VR headsets where you use your smartphone as the display. There are dozens of them under $100 (several under $50).  It's pretty cool, but the phone apps are very limited.  I have not made any attempt to sync that to a PC or game console for actual gaming. I should look into that.
  • Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:32:28 PM by SkepticTank

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #2
It seems that it's somewhat complicated.
For technical reasons I don't yet understand it's pretty straightforward to stream from a phone to a game console, but much more complicated to do it the other way around.

The solutions I've found involve using a PC to capture the video then stream it to the phone. I imagine there would have to be some lag with that setup, but maybe it's not too bad.

http://manguiro.blogspot.com.es/p/blog-page_12.html

eta: Also this solution wouldn't provide head movement feedback to the console.  I suppose it could be possible to have the phone display "zoomed in" relative to what the console is displaying, then head movement could scan up/down/left/right to give a partial VR experience.
  • Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:31:32 PM by SkepticTank

Reply #3
why isn't this in the alternative reality forum?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #4
I've been thinking about getting back into flight and/or driving sims, and in lieu of getting a big monitor or multi-monitor setup, I was looking at some of the VR headgear. Anyone here tried it? 

My impression from various reviews is that VR just isn't quite where it needs to be in terms of resolution and good motion simulation, but it's getting there.

I'll probably wait until at least the next generation, but I wonder if anyone here has even had a chance to try it? 

I think one of the local game stores here might have at setup that I can try out with a FPS on their playstation or similar.  I might go see how well it works.

There's a lot to say about VR right now.  There's three main contenders for fully-powered, hardware VR: the Vive, the Oculus Rift, and PSVR. 

Vive and Rift are the PC only, for now, and require substantially beefy rigs in order to run.  In addition, they need room for a user to set up tracking other peripherals.  But, the quality is high.  I'd say that the Vive is the better headset for now.

The PSVR is much easier to set up and costs much less, but there is drop in quality.  Sony's thinking with the PSVR was "Let's get a moderately priced headset with moderate capabilities into consumers' hands first, then once they see what VR can do, we will upsell them."  I don't know if it is working or not, but anyone could pull it off, it's them.

There will probably be a lot of churn in this market for a long time.  Much like mobile video games, many of the big tech companies are going to sit back and watch the smaller guys fight it out for a while, then buy the winners.  Microsoft is developing VR/AR/MR technologies for its own purposes, and some if it is expected to bleed over into Xbox/Windows.  And they have announced a headset partnership with Vive, IIRC.  But they were not as deep into as Sony.  I think they are/were skeptical of VR's impact in the video game space.

As far as VR being "there," I can tell you that it is pretty close. for the most part.  One cool thing about where I work is that we have sort of become the de facto VR headquarters for DC.  We have all of the headsets, most of the games, and regularly get elected officials, staffers, lobbyists, etc, through our doors so we can show off VR tech.  I have experienced a lot of it, and while there are some hiccups I can unequivocally recommend it if you're interested in a different kind of game experience.  For the most part, it is fun as hell. 
  • Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:20:00 AM by tysixtus

Reply #5
The company I'm working for currently, has a working VR group. According to the lead of the local group, he thinks the MS Hololens headset is the one to use, but it's currently one of the most expensive as well.

They actually use it here for both engineering/design, as well as the marketing group (doing virtual walkthroughs of VIP aircraft).

I just want it for gaming. :D