Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Wading doesn't help.

Topic: Peter Thiel is a fucking lunatic (Read 199 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Peter Thiel is a fucking lunatic
Holy fuck, this is so terribly unethical and fucked up:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/peter-thiel-funds-unethical-offshore-herpes-vaccine-trial

WASHINGTON--Defying U.S. safety protections for human trials, an American university and a group of wealthy libertarians, including a prominent Donald Trump supporter, are backing the offshore testing of an experimental herpes vaccine.

The American businessmen, including Trump adviser Peter Thiel, invested $7 million in the ongoing vaccine research, according to the U.S. company behind it. Southern Illinois University also trumpeted the research and the study's lead researcher, even though he did not rely on traditional U.S. safety oversight in the first trial, held on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts. 

Neither the Food and Drug Administration nor a safety panel known as an institutional review board, or an "IRB," monitored the testing of a vaccine its creators say prevents herpes outbreaks. Most of the 20 participants were Americans with herpes who were flown to the island several times to be vaccinated, according to Rational Vaccines, the company that oversaw the trial.

Even so, Fernández a former Hollywood filmmaker, said he and his investors plan to submit the trial data to the FDA in hopes of getting the vaccine approved for treatment.

Oh, okay, phew, I'm confident this guy knows what he's doing.

Before the trial, Halford tested the vaccine on himself and Fern├índez. After he failed to secure federal funding and without an IRB, Halford moved ahead with the trial offshore. 

This is fucking bananas.

Re: Peter Thiel is a fucking lunatic
Reply #1
Just think of all the $$$$$ you can make experimenting on desperate people if you're just willing to remove any sense of decency, and move to the bahamas.  I mean, the second part is a definite upside....

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #2
Just think of all the $$$$$ you can make experimenting on desperate people if you're just willing to remove any sense of decency, and move to the bahamas.  I mean, the second part is a definite upside....
St Kitts is not a part of the Bahamas. Not even close,
Are we there yet?

Reply #3
video game villain level ethics.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #4
If this guy hadn't died, he'd be in fucking jail:

https://www.statnews.com/2017/11/21/herpes-vaccine-hotel-rooms/

T
hree years before launching an offshore herpes vaccine trial, an American researcher vaccinated patients in U.S. hotel rooms in brazen violation of U.S. law, a Kaiser Health News investigation has found.

Southern Illinois University associate professor William Halford administered the shots himself at a Holiday Inn Express and a Crowne Plaza Hotel that were a 15-minute drive from the researcher's SIU lab. Halford injected at least eight herpes patients on four separate occasions in the summer and fall of 2013 with a virus that he created, according to emails from seven participants and interviews with one participant.

Since Halford's death in June, several participants who received the vaccine in 2013 and 2016 have told KHN they have informed the university about what they fear may be side effects from the vaccine.

One participant who says he received the injections in Illinois fears that the vaccine, which contains a live virus, may have given him a new and different type of herpes he did not have, a scenario that experts who reviewed his medical details for KHN said was possible.

In recent weeks, that participant from Texas and a woman from Colorado who took part in the St. Kitts trial have separately electronically reported to the FDA their possible side effects, also known as "adverse events."

They said SIU and the FDA have not adequately addressed their inquiries.

"It makes me angry that Halford went ahead with the offshore trial anyway," said the man from Texas who did not want to be publicly identified because of the sensitive nature of his disease. "I hope more people weren't hurt."

Reply #5
I am looking forward to the latest upcoming commercial for, "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."