Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: Outliving frenemy sites since 2008.

Topic: Some recent-ish horror films I really have no idea about (Read 111 times) previous topic - next topic

Some recent-ish horror films I really have no idea about
Are any of these franchises or particular films within the franchises worth seeing? For whatever reason, they all seem like they're the same movie to me. (just did a little wiki'ing. They probably seem the same to me because Patrick Wilson is in 2 of the series as well as James Wan seemingly directing all of them)

Insidious
Sinister
Conjuring/ Annabelle (I only know these are related cuz I just wiki'ed it)

I feel like at least one of these franchises has to be decent or maybe better than decent. IDK for whatever reason I haven't seen any of them and I love horror films.

I'll also ask about the Purge franchise even though I know it's not related, but it looks decent enough. (though, fuck, Ethan Hawke is in the Purge and one of those movies above. They really need to find some different actors!)

Anyway, The Purge series any good as well?

• ksen
Re: Some recent-ish horror films I really have no idea about
Reply #1
Conjuring 1 is better than Conjuring 2 (although 2 has a really creepy nun).  I haven't seen any of the Annabelle movies yet so I can't say anything about them.

Sinister was kind of creepy.

Insidious the first I thought was pretty good. After that though it gets into all this lore and other-world building that I'm not sure helps a horror franchise.

In short, I think the first movies, at least, of each franchise are worth a watch.

• nesb
Reply #2
I liked Insidious and Conjuring. Haven't seen the sequels of either. The Purge series is surprisingly good, and worth watching.  Sinister is okay, but like I've said elsewhere, it's very slow-burn.

• nesb
Reply #3
So I just watched Annabelle, and

Spoiler (click to show/hide)