Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: because that other board banned you

Topic: Testy Explains the Layers Which Include the Tonto Group (Read 6664 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Testy Explains the Layers Which Include the Tonto Group
Reply #50
Been to a beach, Dave?
Of course.  Pick one that you think is a good candidate and we'll take a closer look.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #51
Just to emphasize what an incurious gullible tool Hawkins is:

<    clip  quote  from some pseudoscience source that Hawkins believes implicitly despite the recent face-plant over R.H. Brown and his 39,000 sloth shit pellets  >

"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #52
I'm gonna play with this a bit. Out of all the arse kickings that have been delivered to YEC over the years, I don't recall the Vishnu and other metamorphic basement rocks being used to bugger up the Fludde story. It may have been done, because it's bloody obvious now that I've thought of it, but I've never seen Dave address it (even badgeringly).
Do you have any idea of the number of times Hawkins has had his nose rubbed in angular unconformities, and utterly, completely, blandly, obtusely, pretended never to have even seen those posts?
Yes, but it's not about the uncomformities. It's about something else.
Truth is out of style

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #53
Been to a beach, Dave?

We showed him actual Google earth images of places where vast quantities of sediments are visibly being laid down over huge areas of ocean floor. He just ignored them.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #54
I'm gonna play with this a bit. Out of all the arse kickings that have been delivered to YEC over the years, I don't recall the Vishnu and other metamorphic basement rocks being used to bugger up the Fludde story. It may have been done, because it's bloody obvious now that I've thought of it, but I've never seen Dave address it (even badgeringly).
Do you have any idea of the number of times Hawkins has had his nose rubbed in angular unconformities, and utterly, completely, blandly, obtusely, pretended never to have even seen those posts?
Yes, but it's not about the uncomformities. It's about something else.
Oh, I know that.
But it will be met with exactly the same (non)response.
Mark my words.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #55

<    clip  quote  from some pseudoscience source that Hawkins believes implicitly despite the recent face-plant over R.H. Brown and his 39,000 sloth shit pellets  >
This is classic Darwin Warrior technique ... I guess because this is all they've got ... focus on one part of something a creationist said wrong which doesn't have any (or very little) bearing on the main point ... and post in bold font how wrong they are.  Pathetic.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #56
Been to a beach, Dave?
Of course.  Pick one that you think is a good candidate and we'll take a closer look.

Hahaha! Last time we tried talking about beaches you said you didn't see anything because you were only watching your kids.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #57
This is classic Darwin Warrior technique ... I guess because this is all they've got ... focus on one part of something a creationist said wrong which doesn't have any (or very little) bearing on the main point ... and post in bold font how wrong they are.  Pathetic.
Just to emphasize how large, how flat and how thin this layer really is ...

Picture a sheet of copy paper 0.1 millimeters thick that measures 1 kilometer by 0.6 kilometer, then stack three on top of one another.
You were saying?
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
Reply #58

Actually, Dave, WE were focussing on the radiocarbon calibration data.  I guess you are avoiding it like the plague because you don't have a response, right?
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #59
Been to a beach, Dave?

We showed him actual Google earth images of places where vast quantities of sediments are visibly being laid down over huge areas of ocean floor. He just ignored them.
Oh did you?  How huge?  How vast?  How flat?  What is the ratio of length to thickness? Width to thickness?

• Pingu
Reply #60
Been to a beach, Dave?

Keep focussing on those minutiae Dave, but the radiocarbon calibration curves will still be agreeing when you are finished.

• Pingu
Reply #61
Been to a beach, Dave?

Oh did you?  How huge?  How vast?  How flat?  What is the ratio of length to thickness? Width to thickness?

Radiocarbon calibration curves, Dave.  They agree. 

So the earth is at least 50,000 years old.  Deal with it.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #62
Been to a beach, Dave?

Hahaha! Last time we tried talking about beaches you said you didn't see anything because you were only watching your kids.
You should have been at the old Dawkins forum the day he said that spider tracks in the Coconino were preserved by a tsunami hitting a beach. That was awesome. Much rofling ensued.

(I had been teasing him mercilessly, and he sorta lost it)
Truth is out of style

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #63
Been to a beach, Dave?

Go find the old TR thread and read it again if you're actually interested. I don't think you are.

Reply #64

Picture a sheet of copy paper 0.1 millimeters thick that measures 1 kilometer by 0.6 kilometer, then stack three on top of one another.
You were saying?
If I'm doing my math correctly, the Length to Thickness Ratio (let's call it "LTR") of this formation which includes the Tonto Group but is named many other things in other places in N. America .... is something like ...

TEN MILLION TO ONE

• Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:30:33 AM by Dave Hawkins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #65
Been to a beach, Dave?

Well, one thing we can be sure of is that you are much thicker than you are long.
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
Reply #66
And he doesn't know what point he is making anyway.

It doesn't MATTER if nothing quite as large as the formation he is talking about (haven't worked out which one) isn't forming today.

The world has changed over its 4.5 billion year history, not least because hasn't always had life on land.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #67

You were saying?
If I'm doing my math correctly, the Length to Thickness Ratio of this formation which includes the Tonto Group but is named many other things in other places in N. America .... is something like ...

TEN MILLION TO ONE

ZOMFG ELEVENTY BILLIONNNZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!
Truth is out of style

Reply #68
0.1 mm = 0.0001 m and 1 km = 1000 m, so our "LTR" = 1000 m / 0.0001 m = 10 million

Could you please supply with the "LTR" of the formation which you supposedly gave me the Google image for?

TIA

• Pingu
Reply #69

You were saying?
If I'm doing my math correctly, the Length to Thickness Ratio of this formation which includes the Tonto Group but is named many other things in other places in N. America .... is something like ...

TEN MILLION TO ONE

I thought it was 42?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #70

You seem to have missed the point.
Why do you believe your "sheet of paper" quote?

(And, no. Brown's misrepresentation of the Long & Martin paper was not inconsequential or somehow beside "the main point".
Whatever happened to "Absolute. Fucking. Truth. " ? )

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #71
Been to a beach, Dave?

You should probably understand Walther's law first, and some basic geological fundamentals. I gave you information and movies in the previous thread (linked from this thread). You ignored it then. Perhaps now you should go learn it.

But pretty well any beach.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #72
And he doesn't know what point he is making anyway.

It doesn't MATTER if nothing quite as large as the formation he is talking about (haven't worked out which one) isn't forming today.

The world has changed over its 4.5 billion year history, not least because hasn't always had life on land.
Of course I know what point I'm making.  Unlike you. 

My point is simple.  There is simply NO MECHANISM in operation today which could possibly - even with the most creative mind bending - be extrapolated to millions of years to theoretically form a sedimentary rock layer with this kind of Length (Width) to Thickness Ratio.  (And let's not forget the flatness as well ... we could easily come up with a metric for that too)

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #73
Just for the heck of it, the Tonto Group is about 400 metres thick.

So 10,000,000 x 0.4 kilometres equals 4 million kilometres.

That's a pretty large rock formation to fit on such a small planet.

Mental arithmetic FTW. You're welcome.
Truth is out of style

Reply #74
42?  Wtf?