Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• This week in Las Vegas there was a TR session at the big paleontology to do. Then an Elvis tribute

Topic: this 401(k) shit (Read 1335 times) previous topic - next topic

• nesb
Re: this 401(k) shit
Reply #25
If the economy is solid, you need to start paying down on the debt. The US is in no trouble right now as such things are concerned, but you obviously can't just borrow indefinitely. Ideally, we'd tax the rich, in order to get a handle on things, which seems to result in a strong economy, historically. But Republicans control everything, right now, and they're mostly dedicated to giving tax cuts to the rich. Even if the majority objects. Even so, people don't care about their absolute economic interests, if they can see non-white people (or anyone) made a relative lower class. It definitely raises their boats.
  • Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:59:08 AM by nesb

Reply #26
You can borrow indefinitely if your rate of economic growth and inflation outpaces the debt servicing.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #27
Lol they want to get rid of the student loan interest deduction

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #28
yeah, more of the smell of desperation

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #29
I mean oh no now I won't be able to deduct a month's worth of student loan interest, but at the same time, fuck these pieces of garbage

Reply #30
You know those millenials who are unemployed or underemployed and have massive student loan debt? We should take the pittance we give them now in tax relief and give it to this really rich guy instead.

• el jefe
Reply #31
I don't think the student loan interest deduction is going anywhere.  not with student loan debt as a major issue and the gop already trending badly with millennials.  the fact that they're even considering it makes me think they're not satisfying the deficit hawks and don't know what else to do.

Reply #32
this bill *seems* like it'll be DOA in the Senate and might even struggle to get out of the House, but I'm expecting another bunch of dumb shenanigans like with ACA repeal but with a higher chance of this actually passing in some form or another.

• ksen
Reply #33
I think "they don't know what else to do" pretty much sums up the Republican governing strategy.

• ksen
Reply #34
A Republican senator says Trump's tax plan doesn't shower the rich enough

"I never thought anybody should pay over 25 percent," Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., said of the top tax rate, according to The Hill.

The current rate is supposed to be brought down in President Donald Trump's new tax plan to 35 percent, from 39.6 percent, but Shelby would ideally want an even more drastic cut.

He continued, "People with money save money, create jobs, create risk. People with no money -- I've been there -- create nothing. You're trying to live, to survive."

Hahaha, these guys.

Reply #35
Whatever happened to pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and making something of yourself? Nope, now you just create nothing.
They can't even stay consistent.

Reply #36
So how many of the AL voters that matter will see that? 

Worse, how many poor rural voters will see that and nod along.....

Reply #37
So how many of the AL voters that matter will see that? 

Worse, how many poor rural voters will see that and nod along.....
They're about to elect Roy Moore to the Senate. I don't think they care one way or the other.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #38
They create nothing except all the wealth the other motherfuckers keep for themselves.

• el jefe
Reply #39
it's only been a couple hours since they rolled out some details

flake already sounds like a hard no

rubio is criticizing, though sounds gettable.  still, every change someone demands will cost time and tradeoffs they can't afford.

• el jefe
Reply #40
oh, this is interesting.  NFIB doesn't like it.  (fyi: they are the small business lobby).  the stated purpose of the bill is that it is supposed to be pro-business.  they are even managing to fail at that, at least at the moment.  it sounds like a negotiable "no".  but as with rubio, they can't afford to have this many stakeholders unhappy.  not with their compressed timeline and lack of margin for error in the senate.

Reply #41
it's almost like the strategy of crafting massively important legislation entirely in secret and on ridiculously short deadlines with zero expert or even industry input is bad

Reply #42
almost

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #43
Sneaking in anti-abortion language into everything:

Reply #44
Hey I was actually trying to figure out if I could open a 529 plan ahead of time earlier this year! Seemed weird to me that I couldn't but that language will for sure be used for much more nefarious purposes.

Reply #45
And they snuck language into it to allow churches to campaign directly (at least it covers all 501(c)(3)s). Fucking bastards.

• el jefe
Reply #46
religious freedom!

• el jefe
Reply #47
Hey I was actually trying to figure out if I could open a 529 plan ahead of time earlier this year! Seemed weird to me that I couldn't but that language will for sure be used for much more nefarious purposes.
same exact experience

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #48
Seems logical to me that you should have to wait until a child is actually born. Shit happens.

• ksen
Reply #49
srsly, I can't imagine having to go close out the account if your wife had a miscarriage or something. That's already a devastating enough experience.