Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Internet Home for Milquetoast Fence-Sitters.

Topic: The All-American Shooting Thread (Read 958 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The All-American Shooting Thread
Reply #50
No matter where evil comes from, evil will use the weapons available to it.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• MikeS
Reply #51
The Air Force DID charge him with domestic violence and discharged him.  That is grounds for registration on the Federal List for no weapons purchase.  Texas participates in that program for background checks.  But the Air Force failed to register his name on that list after he was discharged.

So, as is often trotted out, the enforcement of existing legislation and rules would have prevented (or made more difficult) this persons murder/death/kill gun fetish.

And it still doesn't speak to the awful amount of power held in a single hand for immediate and deadly use.  Substitute gun for bomb, chainsaw, knife, etc. and the commentary would be totally different with discussion around how to limit such availability of killing potential in one place.

Reply #52
It's fuckin' TX. He would have just gone to a gunshow (and those are almost as common as evangelical churches in TX) and bought what he wanted.

Reply #53
adding this to my regular ensemble

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #54
...nevermind
  • Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:30:28 PM by fredbear
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #55
Oh look, yet another family annihilator:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/scottsdale-breaking/2017/11/11/police-identify-family-scottsdale-shooting/854957001/

It's almost as if all the research that shows women and children are at greater risk for being killed by a family member if there are guns in a home is on to something. It's almost as if there's something to this idea of toxic masculinity.

Reply #56

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/scottsdale-breaking/2017/11/11/police-identify-family-scottsdale-shooting/854957001/

It's almost as if all the research that shows women and children are at greater risk for being killed by a family member if there are guns in a home is on to something. It's almost as if there's something to this idea of toxic masculinity.

Hoster said the couple had been experiencing financial struggles. The two owned a Scottsdale business, Macrotherapy, specializing in physical therapy and rehabilitation.

I'm no business genius, but if you have a gun and you need money maybe try robbing a bank before you give up and kill the whole family?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #57
But what about his male pride? Better to shoot your children and wife at home than to have them think you're a failure since they only exist to make you feel like you're worth something.

Reply #58
Just another example of how men are more rational and logical than emotional women.

• MikeS
Reply #59
"If I have to kill myself (reasons) then my wife and children will die too."

Is that a world wide male-hormone thing?  Is there a profile where this is prevelent (think Nazi German families at the end of the war).

IF there was a chance of a survey being done, how many wives and children would agree?

Reply #60

Nah. That can't be it. And it can't be the guns. Surely we would have done something by now if it were that simple. 

Reply #61

Nah. That can't be it. And it can't be the guns. Surely we would have done something by now if it were that simple. 

Nonono you don't get it. Males are more aggressive. This is part of their natural maleness. In fact, the ones that don't have it have less maleness too. They have this is so they can protect the weak women and children. This is natural, so it is also good.

Of course some spoilsports then ask the question what they are supposed to be protecting them from. Turns out it is from other aggressive males, but that in no way makes it all less natural and good, so we should totally keep accepting male violence as absolutely fine and only to be expected.

In fact, it makes the ones that do not beat the shit out of their partners Good Guys. You know. Those are those guys who heroically refrain from some pretty atrocious behavior, which means they deserve gratitude-sex and maybe a medal or something.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #62
TBF, there are lots and lots of unnatural males who didn't inherit or learn the restrained violent male mode and therefore make great partners, fathers, coworkers, leaders, etc.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #63
USA! USA! USA!

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article184541668.html

At least five people are dead in shooting spree Tuesday at seven scenes that included an elementary school in Rancho Tehama, a town of about 1,500 people west of Corning in Tehama County, the Record Searchlight newspaper in Redding reports.

Reply #64
Fuckin' a.....I think the gun nuts are practically just taunting politicians at this point. That's what it fucking feels like, with them going after schools like this.

Maybe next time it will be a daycare, and we still won't do anything...other than suggest arming toddlers. Fuckme, but I want out of this damn country.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #65
But we can all rest assured this is not a gun situation.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #66
Tweet from Trump's account offers condolences for the wrong mass shooting

Really... it's high time the White House came up with a boiler-plate, "thoughts and prayers"-type response to mass shootings.
How much time can a busy executive be expected to devote to each individual incident?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #67

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #68

Reply #69
California is pretty big.

Reply #70
Bad bad taste

Eta: from here:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-tehama-shooting-20171115-story.html

Which is actually relevant
  • Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:48:46 PM by Testy Calibrate

Reply #71

A man accidentally shot himself and his wife in their Tennessee church after he had taken his gun out during a discussion about weapons in places of worship, police said.

The man, 81, and his wife, 80, both suffered non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

Reply #72
why isn't that in comic relief?

Reply #73
Fuckin' a.....I think the gun nuts are practically just taunting politicians at this point. That's what it fucking feels like, with them going after schools like this.

Maybe next time it will be a daycare, and we still won't do anything...other than suggest arming toddlers. Fuckme, but I want out of this damn country.

Well you see, the problem is guns are banned from schools...

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #74